Is creating a new FC worth it?

Ree

First and foremost, I want to preface this is not a recruitment thread or an attempt to establish a Free Company. However, if this is not the place to ask this type of question, please let me know and I'll move the thread as soon as possible.

My question, to both old and new players alike, is creating a brand new FC, primarily focused on rp, worth it if (so far) you've found nothing that currently fits within the realm of your character? Have people found themselves in a similar situation? Or have any of you actually tried this and found the challenges not worth it and/or not rewarding?

I'm not looking to switch my homeworld or rewrite the character but I'd really appreciate some advice! I've always enjoyed connecting with communities and making new friends so I hope to not completely throw away the idea of an FC for the character but if people feel that is the better route, please don't hesitate to say so, I'm looking for all ranges of constructive feedback.

I made my own FC because I know that I'm picky with trying to find something for myself and we've been going strong for several years and having lots of fun with good activity levels, so I definitely wouldn't say not to create your own FC if you're set on it. But I would caution it's not easy starting an FC. People can be fickle and aren't always easy to vet as far as who you want in your FC, there's a lot of work and drama to juggle, and there will at times be people expecting things of you that are conflicting or impossible. There's a lot of FC's to compete with, and a lot of them don't seem to last long or get off the ground. I think it's not as easy as most people will assume it will be. You definitely have to be someone who is persistent and won't get discouraged, and it helps to have a clear, thought-out image of what you want and advertise it well.

(Keep in mind, this is all from the perspective of someone on Balmung/Crystal. I'm not sure what Server/Data Center you're on and the specific obstacles that would be there.)

1 hour ago, Faye said:

I made my own FC because I know that I'm picky with trying to find something for myself and we've been going strong for several years and having lots of fun with good activity levels, so I definitely wouldn't say not to create your own FC if you're set on it. But I would caution it's not easy starting an FC. People can be fickle and aren't always easy to vet as far as who you want in your FC, there's a lot of work and drama to juggle, and there will at times be people expecting things of you that are conflicting or impossible. There's a lot of FC's to compete with, and a lot of them don't seem to last long or get off the ground. I think it's not as easy as most people will assume it will be. You definitely have to be someone who is persistent and won't get discouraged, and it helps to have a clear, thought-out image of what you want and advertise it well.

(Keep in mind, this is all from the perspective of someone on Balmung/Crystal. I'm not sure what Server/Data Center you're on and the specific obstacles that would be there.)

Thank you for responding to this and, even more so, for your honesty about your own experience; it was actually about Balmung, apologies for not clarifying that!

I've started groups and organizations before but not on FFXIV specifically so I wasn't sure what type of challenges and expectations people had when it came to finding communities they truly fit with.

I seriously appreciate your feedback, it's definitely given me details to reflect on! 😆

Best advice is, there is always someone with a similar interest.  My own FC was slow to build but we now have loyal members that even started tabletop campaigns on our off days of rp.  Don't be discouraged if it takes a lot of time though.

On 6/26/2022 at 7:24 AM, Mua Viras said:

Best advice is, there is always someone with a similar interest.  My own FC was slow to build but we now have loyal members that even started tabletop campaigns on our off days of rp.  Don't be discouraged if it takes a lot of time though.

Thank you for the advice! I'm really glad to hear it worked out for you and your FC. Plus, a huge congratulations to the tabletop game! I always love hearing how close a community like an FC can bring people together in and out of FFXIV. 😊

Thank you again!

I'd say it's really up to you and what you want out of the game. I ended up creating my own FC because I wanted an experience that was more than just roleplay. So far it's been great, the beginning period was definitely an adjustment of revolving doors with people who weren't ready to commit but now we've got a small group that feels like home. I definitely found that there were moments where I got discouraged but my officer team was solid and helped me through that ♥