Calendar question

After reading this wonderful thread about time measurements I've learned that the Eorzean calendar year has 384 days, 19 days more than our year (except for leap year). I've always personally been a fan of saying that one RL day = one day in the game, and that way I can keep a nice record of what my character did and when she did it. However I've only done that on games that have had 365 days in their calendar.

I was wondering what most people were going to do. Personally I don't mind the extra days, if that means that in two years celebrating new years will be in February then so be it. But I'd love to know what other people think!

I've always been vague when it comes to time passing. So that I can be flexible enough to work with people with different views about it.

I never try to be exact about days or years in which events happen to my character. I just sort of, describe time in a basic manner. I only have to worry about aging. It's a balancing game but I'm good at it.

Well, I expect the devs will make seasonal events, if any, match the RL calendar, so between that and time compression, I wouldn't worry too much about the Eorzean calendar. Mostly, I expect to use it for flavor in timing events ("this takes place on the 14th bell" or "I'll see you in three bells") and gloss over dates.

I tend to go with the one real life day is one day in the life of Eorzea method. It makes keeping track of important character events easier and matches up with holiday events better as well. I don't address it very much IC though, so that's it's vague enough where it won't be an issue if someone else uses a different time keeping method :>

Time in the game is really screwy. There is actually an Eorzean clock in the game. So the year would actually pass a lot faster than reality, of course, yet holidays happen according to our Earth seasons. Then you have the fact that the in-game year usually doesn't advance till the devs say it has based on story events. It could take a couple real years before they move the in-game year forward.

So you can't realistically RP time in-game based on what the game gives you. Seems the best way to go about it is based on Earth time. I don't think anyone will hold anyone to a strict time system.

I think the more confusing aspect is the day and night cycle when role-playing.