Help me decide a name!

What should my Hyur's first name be?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should my Hyur's first name be?

• Gizem - Turkish for "mystery"
    • Calypso - Latin for "she who conceals"
    • Hulda - Scandinavian for "hidden, obscure, secret"
    • Kimi - Native American for "secret"
    • Leta - Latin for "the hidden one"
    • Runa - Scandinavian for "secret lore"
    • Velia - Italian for "concealed"

Building on the idea of a young woman who doesn't remember anything from more than a few years ago, I wanted a name that meant something along the lines of 'mystery'. I found a few options. Help me pick!

Personality-wise, she'll be serious and a little shy around others, though a survivor. Intelligent, but naive due to not knowing the cultures she's surrounded by. So I want a name that isn't too goofy or too exotic. Help me pick!

She's definitely Hyur, but I don't know if she'd be a midlander or highlander. She's a native of the Garlean Empire, so that may be a different subrace entirely. She knows her birth name - she was told that when she survived the 'accident'. But she changed her surname when she fled the empire, I think. (I'm half making this up as I go along.)

I love Calypso as a name, just generally. Stylistically, it meshes well with the Garlean names (which tend to be Latin or, at least, Latin-esque). It also, thanks to certain video games, has a vague connotation of "madness" to me, which ties in well to the Empire.

EDIT: Ah, since you mentioned surnames, you probably want to go Latin or Latin-esque. The Empire has a serious Roman Empire angle to it, and you'll want to keep with that unless your character is specifically trying to hide her nature.

Ah, since you mentioned surnames, you probably want to go Latin or Latin-esque. The Empire has a serious Roman Empire angle to it, and you'll want to keep with that unless your character is specifically trying to hide her nature.

Ooh that's a good point. I was considering Dawning for a surname since it represents a fresh start for her. Maybe ill look up Latin translations for "dawn"...

For garlean characters latin and italian names are a good choice (even greek names IMHO)but if your character flee from the empire and change her name maybe a more eorze-esque names are more suitable.

btw Velia doesn't mean "concealed" in italian but "from velia" an ancient greek city

Thank you for everyone's input! :love:

I think at this point I will go ahead and give her 2 names - her old, Garlean name and her new name which she gave herself when she left the empire.

New name: Runa Dawning

So, I just have to come up with a good latin/italian/greek surname and I'll be set. Now at least I can start working on her wiki page - I couldn't do that without a name! :lol:

On a side note, it really is fascinating how the poll is turning out - there's really no single winner!