Pirates of a Wayward Star

Saefinn

Pirates of a Wayward Star is a linkshell (which will form a Free Company) affiliated with 'Wayward Star', which is a general guild for a number of video games. It was built out of SW:TOR and has since pursued through other games, collecting a series of members who just like to game including BF3, The War Z, Minecraft, Eve and more.

I am setting up the Final Fantasy XIV segment of Wayward Star and it's an RP linkshell based on Gilgamesh. I am an EU player, but it's not going to be strictly EU or US, Wayward Star is actually US based with some EU folk. But it doesn't matter where you're from, you're welcome here.

Website Link: http://piratesofawaywardstar.enjin.com/

You can sign up there if you've got an Enjin account. Or you're welcome to post here.

Intro: The Scholar Captain

ScholarCaptain_zps4f03388d.png

Hey everybody...you thought I was going to say, "ahoy there mateys!" didn't you? Come now, that's just an offensive stereotype, but luckily for you I'm the generous kind of captain or I'd have cut your balls off already (or tits, let's not be sexist).

Yes folks, I am the Captain of the Pirates of a Wayward Star. I'm sure you've got lots of questions, such as, "if you're a captain, where's your longcoat?" and "Really, you're calling yourself a pirate? Why don't you just shout it out so the guards can hear ya?", "aren't you a little well spoken?" or "you're a flipping cat! Why should I take orders from you?" Well, for each of those questions is a story and you may one day know the answers or not. For the time being, why don't you hook up with my crew?

So, what's in it for you? I could say, "adventure" but there's so many adventurers these days and adventure is kind of a given. But being a pirate is about being free, I know, idealist drivel - I've sailed with pirates and met all sorts of captains making slaves out of a crew. A pirate's life isn't free and it isn't all whistles and songs, don't let the bards kid you. It's the rubbish they feed you when your mummy kicks you out of the house for stealing. My old captain was like that, he was a real piece of work. I staged a mutiny, killed the bastard and it paid off. Now, I could give some inspirational rant about how everybody's a brother or a sister and make you throw up. Truth is, I avoided becoming the captain I hated. But this is a bit of a tangent.

Ah yes, now I'm back on track, I'm a captain and I need more crew! And what is this crew to do? Well, for starters, I'd like to avenge my old crew. What happened? You don't need to know, really. Maybe we'll do some noble things, like save an orphaned child...well, maybe if there's money to be made. Or less noble things. I welcome all odds and sods, except maybe those who'll stab us in the back. If you're new to this whole pirating malarkey, don't worry, we'll take you under our wing. Can't fight? Can't tell your head from your toe? Don't worry, that was me once and now look at me (I still can't fight, but I can do magic tricks), you'll pick it up. Best of all, you don't have to be a stereotype. If you really want to "yeargh", it's up to you, knock yourself out.

OOC Intro:

It's probably obvious the theme here is pirates. The linkshell & Free Company are fairly laid back as I am a laid back individual, the emphasis is mainly on RP but we go through content and have been involved with RP throughout Eorzea with the freedom to break laws and attempt to get away with it. There is a backstory to Captain Saefinn forming this crew. But if you're not so much interested in a pirate lore, there are still ways you can work with this crew or be affiliated with us as some members have.

The Goals:

-Levelling

-Helping new members

-Roleplaying

-Completing Content

-Get involved with the general roleplaying community of Gilgamesh

-Events (RP, Dungeons, FATEs etc.)

-Completing endgame content and getting gear

-Making friends and being social

-Uniting other gaming loves in true Wayward Star fashion.

The Attitude:

There are rules, but they are pretty much common sense. This is more a place for people wanting to get to know down-to-earth folk who want to enjoy a good game with people they enjoy playing with. Not with people who take themselves too seriously, even when it comes to roleplay people make mistakes but I promote the idea of being constructive. Of course, we want to win fights, but I've always found if you're constructive you can build a strong team capable of kicking ass. 

This approach has worked fantastically for the linkshells I was involved in on Final Fantasy XI, which are still going strong. They helped make my experience on FFXI a fantastic one and I got really involved with keeping things going. I'd just like to make an equally fantastic experience here.

What Kind of People/Classes?

All classes are welcome. I don't have any preference on classes to roleplay a pirate. A pirate only needs to be somebody unlawful, heck you might yourself even be lawful, but doesn't mind associating yourself with riffraff, maybe you're a merchant looking for business, somebody willing to pay for our services, or somebody looking for adventure, without the stealing. You could be somebody who's unlawful but good, or unlawfully evil. Saefinn is unlawful, but good, he may not tolerate cruelty, but things can happen behind closed doors.

On classes, Saefinn's eventual aim is to become a Scholar. He has his reasons as well. For start, he's a terrible fighter, but they do go beyond that. I suspect a Paladin might be harder to work in, but I like to see people's creativity. :) That said, we've got 3 Paladins, one's a Knight for the Maelstrom, he's an antagonist, another is a Free Paladin who wanted to break free from the restrictive life she had in Ul'dah and my alt, who's not a crew member, but does business with the crew, particularly if they're on a righteous streak...we sometimes do that.

Why Pirates?:

Seems like a bit of a cliche these days. I like pirate lore, though I am not imagining myself to be some kind of Jack Sparrow, whilst I do drink a lot of rum (and other booze), but it's mainly to hold back the captain's guilt. I think it allows me to play a character who can be at times be serious, at other times jolly. I've fleshed out a back story, which I think adds more depth to the idea of being, "yay! pirates!" I think it leaves room for people who are serious about roleplaying - pirates are a part of FF lore and piracy isn't all fun & games (as Eric Cartman found out when he went to Somalia) and of course leaves room for those looking for a bit more lighthearted fun, good times are to be had with drinking rum in taverns and flirting with wenches.

Anyway, let's make Gilgamesh an awesome RP server! ;)

Any questions? (I can answer IC or OOC, whatever you prefer) :)

I like this a lot and not sure if Amaare would fit in as a member yet but many of his family were pirates and privateers and he has privateered in the past when the treasure hunting/salvaging business was slow.

I'd like to rp with you guys a lot whether he is a member or not, definitely would like him to have a lot of pirate associations in his background at the least.

I love this idea! I apologize if you explained this in your post and I missed it - are you going to be a linkshell or a free company?

I just ask because Poe needs friends of all sorts for her job as a merchant and I would very much love her to have some close associates with this background (Hey - you never know who can help find some illegal items! ;) )

I look forward to rping with you!! :bouncy:

Thanks for the interest guys. :)

I love this idea! I apologize if you explained this in your post and I missed it - are you going to be a linkshell or a free company?

I just ask because Poe needs friends of all sorts for her job as a merchant and I would very much love her to have some close associates with this background (Hey - you never know who can help find some illegal items! wink.gif )

It's gonna be both.

It'll be a linkshell to start with, just so folks have a channel to communicate. Once Saefinn reaches the prestige to start a Free Company, he'll create one as a front for the operation. It will be a seemingly legitimate FC, so it won't have an obvious name, like "Pirates of a Wayward Star", I mean in RP it'd just be like saying, "hey, look at us, we're highly suspicious individuals", chances are the FC will just be called 'Wayward Star'.

Perhaps a merchant such as yourself would help present our reputation as a legitimate company and vouch for Sae when he says he's a reformed criminal looking to make an honest buck. ;)

It'll be a linkshell to start with, just so folks have a channel to communicate. Once Saefinn reaches the prestige to start a Free Company, he'll create one as a front for the operation. It will be a seemingly legitimate FC, so it won't have an obvious name, like "Pirates of a Wayward Star", I mean in RP it'd just be like saying, "hey, look at us, we're highly suspicious individuals", chances are the FC will just be called 'Wayward Star'.

Perhaps a merchant such as yourself would help present our reputation as a legitimate company and vouch for Sae when he says he's a reformed criminal looking to make an honest buck. ;)

:bouncy: This absolutely can be arranged!

Assuming SE keep to their word, I'll be starting in Limsa as an Arcanist. ;) If they don't, it will be Gridania with a Conjurer.

But anybody's welcome to look me up in game and I'll be more than happy to team up. :)

Should phase 4 start anytime soon, I will be unavailable from Tuesday, right round until Monday. I will be away on holiday in Germany, enjoying the awesome music festival that is Wacken. There won't be many pirates there sadly, though Alestorm will be there. However, there is a Viking village, so I'm sure I'll be doing some pillaging of some description.

Let's hope the rumours are true. :) I can't wait.

Anyhow, I will be away from this evening until Monday, with no internet access (I'll be in a field somewhere in Germany with lots of mead I hope), so should phase 4 start up this weekend, I won't be here to sort out this LS, so it would have to wait for my return.

Hmm let me see here...sure why not? We've all been guilty of that at some point. I'm sure it was an honest mistake! I mean, you didn't mean to get caught, so I don't see what the fuss is all about. I mean, if she was a looker it was bound to happen at some point, so I think he's totally overreacting.

Hey folks!

Anybody who's rolling beta phase 4, the LS is set up. Currently there will be an LS for IC and one for OOC chat, once we've got a Free Company, that'll change.

So anybody who wishes to join can either put their in game name in this thread, or drop me a line in game, my character's name is Saefinn Liljasson.

There's also the Enjin forums page I set up, if you'd like to join up there as well, there's a few of us already active over there, but I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date as much as I can. :)

Also, I am looking to run people through the first dungeon once people are level 15. If we're able to get a full team of 2 DD, 1 tank & 1 healer, it'd be awesome, if not, we may end up using the duty finder. Though ideally I'd like to RP the first dungeon, characters can get to know each other and well, rumour has it, one of the Sahagin responsible for the slaughter of Saefinn's old crew has been spotted. Presently, Saefinn is helping out with the Adventurer's Guild in Limsa Lominsa to see what else he can learn.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the invite to the Free Company.  It was awesome to hang out with you and the crew at the Costa del Sol beach party and looking forward to many more good times.   You guys were cracking me up the whole time.  Big shout out to Rose, Ace, Poe, and of course, Captain Saefinn.  Later aMiqo! :cactuar:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We are recruiting

Hey all you wonderful people (and hi to all those less wonderful)! Okay, this FC doesn't have much activity on the forums, but we are very much an active FC and we are looking to bring people in for some RP and also to join us for some dungeons and end game content, bearing in mind of course, we're RP focused.

You've got our spiel at the top of the page, but what kind of things have we been doing since beta phase 4, when we set up?

We've been regulars to some parties, mainly at Costa Del Sol and the Tavern Nights and back in September we had our own big event, The Masquerade, which was a success. Whilst we've not planned anything big since, with the FC trying to stay under the radar ICly. In the mean time we've had some of our own story arcs and smaller, more casual RP. It has been quite exciting for the crew, from the Captain turning himself in out of guilt, almost ready to swing the hangman's noose before having his crew knocking some sense into him, to besting our nemesis, Arisran Crycreed and his Maelstrom crew at his game, we've fended off The Black, we've broken a member out of a Rhalgr-cult fueled trance and expelled a demon from a Black Mage, not to mention kept people in hiding from the Holy See, Syndicate and The Garlean Empire, we've also seen some tragedy, with the death of a couple of associates close to members of the crew. We've also saved a possessed Dragoon and without the use of violence.

We've also smuggled, with our main supplier coming from Ul'dah (The Steinn Company) and exporting illegal and illegally acquired goods out to Little Ala Mhigo and Ishgard, with a Captain whose managed to gain the trust of those, who are generally un-trusting, not without effort though. We've also seen the Captain pull some stupid-arse stunts, thought it wise to try and steal from the Tonberry King...to be fair to him, he still got the loot! The crew still felt the need to scold him.

We're a laid back bunch, we enjoy the creative side to roleplay and do it because it's fun, not because we take ourselves too seriously, but that doesn't mean we don't take lore seriously. Roleplay can be combination of lighthearted and seriousness, there are moments we try to lighten things up, usually when we start drinking and partying in our down time, but some plots are driven by the emotional force of the characters behind them and things don't always go well, in fact, the crew has a habit of making enemies.

We use it and we immerse ourselves into our roleplay and the stories we create together. We like people to have a positive and down to earth attitude and we try to encourage everybody to get involved, which is why we haven't gone on a big recruitment drive to get as many RPers in as possible, we like it cosey and to feel part of a group. That said, we are still looking for members to join us.

We don't have much in the way of videos for roleplay, but here is a snippet from our Masquerade Event to get an idea of the sort of thing we like doing:

Contact me in game, or one of my officers, Poe, Joundi or S'anhu and I'm sure we'd be happy to have you sign up. Alternatively, click on my sig for our site - to filter out spam bots, you'll need to use the application form to join. We were previously an open group on Enjin, but the spam bots hit us.

• 2 weeks later...