Hi. :)

Hi!

I don't really know what to say here, as I haven't actually...worked out a character or anything.  I'm new.  Please don't eat me. :)  I actually only found out about the FFXIV reboot a few months back.  Since then, my friend Mist has been inundating me with information, trailers, and, "OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME YOU HAVE TO TRY IT."  He got me a Beta key for Beta 3, and I tried it and well...   I loved it.  ^_^

So now I've pre-ordered the game and myself and a friend are planning on playing together.  The only thing is I have my heart set on playing on an RP server, because, well...I love to RP.

I got my start in Yahoo Chat's Ayenee years and years ago, and from there played in White Wolf's World of Darkness setting on SEAChat website-based games.  That led to me discovering Bioware's Neverwinter Nights, where I played happily for years in one of my favorite settings, Forgotten Realms.  Unfortunately, the user-made Persistent World Servers are mostly dying, as Neverwinter Nights is more and more difficult to obtain, more and more difficult to connnect to servers unless you know where they are, and many video drivers no longer support the game.

I also play World of Warcraft, and have for about six years now.  :angel:  I have tried RPing in WoW, but I've never been able to really get into it, which I found distressing as I've always enjoyed RP.  I tried RPing in Rift, and that didn't really work out.  I tried in SWTOR, too, but became increasingly disillusioned by EA and Bioware's lack of support for RP in the game platform.  When I found out that FFXIV:ARR would have RP servers, I started looking around for information.

Confession: I've actually been stalker-browsing these forums for a while now.  >.>  But I've never had the courage to post.

Like I said, I really want to play on an RP server, but I'm not sure which server to choose.  I'm somewhat worried if I choose the non-Legacy server, it will end up like my experience in SWTOR, where I didn't end up rolling on the "main" RP server and thus...there was little to no RP.  I'm also worried that if I join a Legacy server, the people may not be as open and welcoming (admittedly a holdover from my experiences in WoW).  I was hoping perhaps some forum regulars could shed light on that, actually.

Anyway, I will keep rambling if I don't stop myself, so I am stopping myself.  :)  I'm still working on a character concept, so that's really up in the air.  :D

Welcome to the RPC! The Forgotten Realms are incredible! Have you ever read R.A. Salvatore?

To answer your questions:

Both servers will have dedicated RPers. The best thing to do come game time, is to make a character on both servers, and see which community you like better! Every one here on the RPC is very accepting, and some of them are Legacy, so have no fear about being shunned!

I think whichever choice you make will be great. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with testing the waters of both servers!

I hope that helped!

Welcome and glad to have you!

As far as you're worries on choosing a server. There's still plenty of time to make any decisions. So I would suggest just being open to possibilities, interact with others on this site, maybe make some friends. :D

The decision might be easier in a couple weeks. :thumbsup:

Welcome!

You'll find passionate role players no matter which server you choose, have no fear about that :D.

There's always interesting conversations going on in the forums...of course, you know that, 'cause you say you lurked for a while (my modus operandi as well 8-) ), and perhaps something will bring the spark to life for a character you can work through the next beta phase.

Good luck, though. Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself :thumbsup:

Welcome!! I'm glad you got to play the game early on so you got to find out what you would have been missing out on if you had decided to wait to play it!! xD Anyways as for servers, don't worry about it right away until you get a chance to try both out a little and see how they feel. I'll be primarily on Gilgamesh but hope to RP plenty with people on Balmung on an alt. Besides, there will likely be character server transferring after release so if you decide you like one more than the other you'll probably be able to switch. Hope that helped and that you find stalking the forums a bit more inviting! <3 We don't bite.. mostly. *Picks something out of her teeth.* >>

Welcome to the RPC! The Forgotten Realms are incredible! Have you ever read R.A. Salvatore?

To answer your questions:

Both servers will have dedicated RPers. The best thing to do come game time, is to make a character on both servers, and see which community you like better! Every one here on the RPC is very accepting, and some of them are Legacy, so have no fear about being shunned!

I think whichever choice you make will be great. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with testing the waters of both servers!

I hope that helped!

I have not read much of R.A. Salvatore.  I was never a huge Drizzt fan.  >.>  But I DID read the Liriel Baenre series, and actually was inspired to make a character on a Neverwinter Nights Persistent World Server because of reading the series.

Thanks to everyone (including the people I didn't quote) for the reassurance.  ^_^  I need to do a lot more reading before I even start on a character, I think! :)

Lots of the different Free Companies and linkshells are holding events and driving recruitment right now. Whichever server you choose, you should be able to find ample opportunities. The Legacy players are making big efforts to open up their RP to new players, and there's a strong new community presence for Gilgamesh building here as well in anticipation of phase 4.