Forum Update

This is just a friendly public update to give you browsers something else to read. So far, we're 30/40 toward our first goal of coalition membership (29 if you don't want to count my TestMember >.>). That's pretty good and I'm hoping we get to the 40 (or close to it) by the end of this weekend. According to the head count, we -will- meet the first goal easily. It's just a matter of getting people here. They're either slow at checking emails or just slow in general xD. I've still got quite a few Sylphites waiting in the wings for the link that I'm holding off on for now as to not overwhelm you Leviathan peeps or anything.

I know Keir is really busy so if anyone from Leviathan has the time to help him, could you maybe send out some personal emails to get people here if you can? I'm sure he'd appreciate it a lot xD. I did a couple for you only because I knew the people to an extent (Roelon and Lantrial) but I'd probably be going a little too far sending out more to complete strangers >.>

Sometime next week, I'm going to send out the link to Kujata, Lakshmi, and Alexander RP groups so we'll have another roster explosion then. I'll also try to get Garuda and Siren RPers here assuming I hear back from both before then. The third wave after that will consist of Asura, CaitSith, and Phoenix RPers (or whatever I can find left of Phoenix). The final wave after that will of course be the general public.

Following all of this, we'll likely be ready to open up more sections of the forums for everyone. I'll open the Assembly Room about 1 week before going public so we can at least start some discussions.

As a final note, we will likely have more forum sections added over time. I realize there's not that many right now. I went around to other RP forums and tried to get most of the section types that everyone else has. I'll also be very open to suggestions about what sections you think we should have added/modified, so long as we don't have -too- many sections that make people feel overwhelmed.

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, don't hesitate to ask ^^

~Cas

Err...I just realized we had a few people with inactive accounts. I apologize in advance for not noticing it. Chances are the activation email went to your spam box and thus got overlooked. I'll try to keep a closer eye on inactive accounts. I highly suggest that you send yourself a private message and then go mark that email notification as "not spam." That may prevent further email messages from this board from being marked spam for you in the future.

Anyway, we're now 38/40. That's excellent for about a week's worth of mobilization. I'm going to just assume we'll meet the goal easily now since I'm sure more from Sylph and Leviathan will continue to trickle in. So I'll be moving on to the next wave of RPers probably as early as tomorrow. Great work everyone! You all rock!

Yeah...wave #2 seems to be coming at a snail's pace >.>. I know I'm coming off as a bit aggressive here and please tell me if I'm overstepping my bounds. But it seems like every group but Sylph is having serious trouble meeting their quota for mobilizing a certain number of Rpers to the cause. The goal by the end of wave 2 of recruitment was set at 55-60 coalition members. We've remained pretty stagnant save for a very tiny handful of new recruits.

According to preliminary head counts, everyone -should- be able to meet each quota. If not, you should be letting me know so I can maybe help somehow. Just keep in mind that I can't do everything. Finding these groups and trying to bring each one here is tough enough as it is.

Here's the current counts. And I'm not posting these to make any group feel bad. I'm doing it because I really think you all can do a lot better and have much more potential.

[[Edit: Quotas removed. New tactics of mobilization underway!]]

Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. If so, please say so. I really don't want to see Sylph being the dominant group and calling all the shots when it comes to laying the foundation for the future RP community. I say that AS a Sylphite and I'm sure many others from Sylph agree. The fact is, I've already told everyone via public forums (Zam, Core, etc) that we're looking at having at -least- 70 roleplayers gathered -before- going public. We're gonna look pretty darn weak if you go public and are nowhere near that now. Granted, we still have a few weeks. But I was anticipating bringing in the third and final wave of recruits by next week and opening up more of the forums as well.

I think part of the problem is that everyone is expecting someone else to mobilize old RPers and thus, nobody is doing it. You guys should be sending out emails, poking people on AIM from your past RP groups, and so on. The only thing we're not doing now is posting on big sites like Alla and others. Heck, I personally sent out over 15 emails to Rpers from Garuda who I never made any contact with.

Please post if you have any thoughts. If I'm pushing everyone too hard too fast, I'd like to know and I'll ease off. I just know that you're all capable of contributing so much more. I realize that we don't have a release date and some may not be too eager yet, but we're not that far off now. If you're expecting the game to not come out until as late as November or December, I think you're in for a big awakening pretty soon. And we've got at least 2-3 months of debates and whatnot to still get through before the big release. Even if everyone doesn't contribute to these discussions, simply registering is a good enough show of support to this cause.

Hope to get some responses. I hope you know that I'm only pushing you guys like this because I care :P . And if anyone is doing something to help, feel free to post here so I know and don't think I'm doing it all by myself >.>;

snail.png

I help by posting a picture of this adorable snail.

Here's my advice. Chillax. If things happen, they happen. The thing is, you can't force people to do what you'd like them to do because you have plans. You gotta be flexible. If people come around, they come around. You can only send reminders and input to those of other servers. It's up to them to show up or not.

So it's best to go about your day and not stress too much about it. :]

I agree pretty much with Solana. Don't put to much on yourself at this moment. If the game is going to come out till late 2010, we have time. I predict the major increase in members won't happen till about a month or two before the games release. I am betting there are a few people out there still shakey about coming aboard because of the changes between the two games. Just be patient and lets see what happens. Either way, dominance isn't a factor in my opinion... even on sylph we had our differences in what should and not be done in the world of rp. So... meh. All will come in time. Just my 2 cents.

We could always sign up with fake names! j/k

You're right though we need 70 before going live, and to do that I think we should give people a little more time to sign up and the word to spread. As for who should be doing this... well everyone who still has friends from FFXI that RP. Ideally the leaders should be able to contact almost everyone that joined their LS, but failing that just get as many people as possible through word of mouth. For example leader sends email to 5 people, telling them to send an email to at least 1 other person they know would be interested. That's 10 right there! (just an example of snowball sample =P )

While I think the deadlines should be extended, the anxiety shouldn't be dialed down too low 'cause the quota is still to be met. Although Castiel, you personally shouldn't be worrying past a certain point because other people should be taking some responsibility. Don't mean to sound harsh, just sayin'.

I think what I'll do is just start bringing in wave 3 (Asura, CaitSith, Titan, Phoenix, and Siren) next week as scheduled. Then I'll just extend the overall deadline for all groups. We can avoid going public for upwards of 4-6 weeks still if necessary. Perhaps more excitement will be aroused after the next big site update (which I was hoping to see this or next week). I know a lot of you will say numbers aren't important and quality > quantity. While I agree with that to an extent, everyone also needs to realize that we're trying to reinvent our community this time around. We -want- to be noticed by the non-Rpers and be taken seriously. We want others to know we exist and that we're strong and healthy in order to attract more potential RPers later down the line. And unfortunately, a lot of people will look at the numbers as a means of measuring our health. And being a -coalition- instead of a single guild/linkshell means they expect to see high numbers of supporters. So we really will -need- the 70+ registered supporters before going public, even if they never log in or post here after registering.

I think maybe Sylph might have a different RP culture than other groups and that could be why they're flooding in so easily too. We've always held to the thought than an active forum also reflected an active community and we viewed the RP forums as more than just a tool. Coming from this culture, perhaps I'm simply expecting too much too soon.

For any and all non-Sylphites, don't feel overwhelmed by the fact that we'll probably end up with 25-30+ people coming in from Sylph. Once we all get into the game, we're not all going to create one massive linkshell/guild of former Sylphites. Some may end up in the new LostBoys, others may find their way into KnightLife, and others may end up scattering to other yet-to-be created RP groups. We may be large in numbers but not all Sylphites are best of buddies if you know what I mean :lol: . Not only that, some also may want to simply branch out and try something totally new by joining a totally new group. So please don't worry or feel remotely threatened about our insanely high numbers xD.

I'll just ease off a bit though and give you guys more time to get to the quota. I -know- each group can meet (and almost definately exceed) each quota. Probably just need a bit more time. We're almost at that 50 mark (although 2 registered users on the list technically don't count). Remember that there are two forum sections that get unlocked after we reach a certain number!

Unless my sister goes into labor this weekend, I should finally have some free moments to start a headcount of Leviathan and send out some emails for the Lost Boys. There are still quite a few I haven't seen poke their heads in here.

Should be 6 Lakshmites about now, probably will be another soon. Talked to several more ex RPers but the predominant attitude I heard was "Not interested in being part of the launch crew but I might join later, I'll look you guys up when and if I do."

You may be right about the forum thing though, CPM's forum was never terribly active. We use it for rules and guidelines, character profiles, stories written about our characters, in-character news posts, plot discussion and planning... But never actually RPing. All RP is in linkshell or in person. As such, if we aren't in the middle of a plot arc or our writers aren't feeling the muse, our forums lay dormant for weeks at a time. Some of our members never even bothered to check them.

That being said, pushing is good. People won't move if you don't give them a nudge much of the time. Just don't stress if they won't move, or the entire thing stops being the fun it was intended to be and the self-imposed pressure can ruin your day. I've experienced firsthand the self-imposed pressures of leadership making me irritable as all hell and it's no good for anyone involved. Prod but don't shove, keep at it, and we'll see where we are when things get rolling.

the predominant attitude I heard was "Not interested in being part of the launch crew but I might join later, I'll look you guys up when and if I do."

My side is the same. Most remain in FFXI and don't want to risk investing time unless they have more information on FFXIV (Which make some sense). Moreover, we can do little when trying to persuade when we have to say we don't know every class available nor even what server we are in. I believe some of those detail information can gather more people, the less risk taker. So far all we can do is remind them and wait unfortunately.

I agree with Solana. Things will happen in their own time, and beyond opening some form of initial contact, there is really nothing more that can be done. It is possible that for every two or three people who registered on this forum as soon as they received word of it, another has made note of it and bookmarked it to be revisited upon the game's official release. While I think goal-setting is a good thing, perhaps these quotas we are trying to meet may be a bit over the top.

From the look of things we have a pretty enormous snowball here already, and we've not even yet begun rolling it downhill. I think it's safe to anticipate that this endeavor will be a successful one.

Also, to echo a sentiment about us Sylphites:

Not only that' date=' some also may want to simply branch out and try something totally new by joining a totally new group.[/quote']

I really can't speak for others, but I will be looking to branch out and probably join with RPers from other groups from other servers. I'm excited about this prospect! I know that, especially towards the end in Crystalline, there were numerous cliques and divides and differences of opinion within the shell structure, and while I generally tried to remain neutral but sympathetic, I can also see how it will be futile to try to unite certain groups of people together for such a thing (which is why I think we can be grateful that we at least have this coalition to fall back on).

I have not heard of any efforts to begin this process yet, and while it is probably premature, I was wondering if there were any plans on setting up a thread or a forum whereby intended leaders can begin establishing their groups. You had mentioned two specific groups in your post and I was wondering if there would be some sort of forum where we could get acquainted with the style of RP and intended guild policies for these groups, and any others that may be set up - a sort of recruitment grounds, perhaps? I would kind of like to see what will be available, but without additional lore and information about the game itself I can see how this might be difficult to do so early in the process.

Aside from Sylph and Lakshmi, Alexander/KnightLife and Leviathan are -very- close to meeting their goals. Kutata's representative has the site link and has responded to me a couple days ago, but still hasn't started getting Kujata RPers signed up. I'm sure they'll eventually trickle in though. It's not looking good for Garuda because I've failed to get in contact with anyone from there save for one person already here who has no means of contacting others. Asura and Titan are starting to come in so it's too soon to see how many get mobilized there. Finally, I'm not holding my breath for Phoenix, Siren, or CaitSith. Phoenix and Siren are now too scattered and difficult to reach whereas CaitSith's group is very small and mostly have no plans to go to FFXIV. Nodem of Phoenix did send out a mass email via Epic's forums (the last Phoenix RP group that "replaced" LightsTemplar) so the link is out there for those who need it.

For those that didn't notice, I did open up the Gallery section. I also edited the main page for those who are still possibly wondering what this coalition's purpose is. Hopefully that explains everything. http://ff14-rp.webs.com

Regarding actual pre-established RP groups bound for Eorzea: There are currently 3, though they are still building themselves as I understand. There's KnightLife, The Adventure League of Eorzea (TALE), and the new LostBoys (who may or may not be changing their name). I don't want to give links to any of the two that already have sites because I don't want any groups to start with an unfair advantage of gaining membership. They'll all start getting advertised sometime during open beta, which probably isn't too far off now.

My goal is to hopefully open the Assemby Room within a couple weeks. I'd like discussions to at least -start- before going public, though we won't be voting on anything until after going public. So if people still aren't registered by then, they have no right to complain about having no say on laying the foundation for the RP community. By then, we'd have given people plenty of time to get themselves here.

The job for all of you before we go live is to look over the main site (particularly my method of labeling guilds/linkshells under the "Guilds" section) and let me know what's good and what's not regarding formats and whatnot. I'd also like to hear what kind of forum sections you'd like added, if any.

On a final note, I want to post a couple of coalition links for other games. This will give you an idea of what we're striving for in the long run. You can see how successful the RP communities for each game are. While we'll have our own needs to meet and our population will differ, you can at least see what our overall goal is in the long run.

Everquest II: http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?G ... ID=1770901 (sometimes takes awhile to load)

Starsider Galaxy: http://starsidergalaxy.com/forum (link provided by Tsumi)

As for the new LostBoys, we are still in negotiations over name and storyline. I am waiting to put together a new website for the group until we know what direction we will be going in. That said, I wanted to reiterate that I don't expect anyone to be forced into a certain group or hold allegiance to simply one. If we do indeed settle on a specific role-play server, I look forward to characters being able to follow their own storyline within the world and join groups if it is congruent with the direction they want for their character.

I do have some concerns over how this United Nations of role-play is going to handle disputes between groups should the worst come to pass. I certainly hope this would never be the case, but we all know that it is a looming possibility.

Library unlocked. I strongly urge everyone to read the announcement there before posting their profile, if you so choose to post one.

We're very likely to open up to the public in another 1-2 weeks. Donations for getting rid of the ads before then would be appreciated :P

The website is a tad tricky for me because of the limitations on themes and whatnot. Custom themes can be imported but I think you need to have html knowledge for that (which I don't). I originally wanted to make it more of a flash site but got frustrated trying to figure out how to edit it >.>

In regards to these forums: There are various proposed new sections that I wanted to bring up. I kinda want to name these sections in a way that keeps with the whole headquarters theme (IE: names of rooms and whatnot). So first, let me know if you -want- these sections. And if you have name suggestions, please post those too.

1. OOC profiles: This was brought up by Tsumi and would basically be similar to the Library section, except the profiles would be based on the player. It would basically state all the things they were willing to do and not willing to do in the RP realm, such as whether or not a particular RPer was willing to RP a fight in game and to what extent. I have no idea of what to name the section so ideas are needed!

2. Guild rules: This was also brought up in the same discussion thread as the OOC profiles. This section would be a centralized location for guilds to post their individual rules, or at least I think that was the proposal. Further clarification would be appreciated along with a name for the section.

3. Lore section: This is something I've contemplated adding and haven't mentioned yet. It would basically be a place to post official info from SE such as city info, historical info, and other lore related to Hydaelyn (excluding "spoilers"). I was thinking of calling it the "Resource Room."

4. Storyline discussion: This would be a place to discuss characters, stories, and profiles in an OOC manner. Basically just a place to make comments about certain characters or stories. Name also pending.

5. Journals: This would be as it sounds -- IC journals for characters to keep. There's probably no point in adding it at this point in time but I just wanted to let everyone know it was being considered for the future.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Just remember, we don't want to go -too- overboard and end up having a gazillion sections xD.

This fits in nicely with the Journals section, could just call it a Character Fiction section or Journals/Stories, but I've always been fond of writing stories about my characters' downtime thoughts and exploits, or simply what's going on out of sight during plot arcs. I like the idea of a character journal but most of the characters I RP simply wouldn't keep one.

I have extensive HTML knowledge. If you can draw/explain a layout with pictures and things that you need, I can make the outline and show you where you can put stuff so you can update and change things on your own without having to worry about the codes and what-have-you.

Flash is retarded anyway. I could never figure that thing out. xD Traydon can vouch for me and my web-siteyness. Rescue's was just a very very simple page so people can understand things like BAM!

I can help out as needed as well with regards to the technical aspects of forums. I have a pretty extensive background with HTML, JavaScript, graphic design, and in particular PHP. I know Crystalline's forums were always pretty much boilerplate due to busy schedule and wanting to spend what free time I did have playing the game, but I'm finding I have a lot more free time these days, and time available while I'm at work between incidents for such endeavors (admittedly a large part of funding the relic was done from crafting/farming between incidents at work xD ) Technical expertise aside, I'll make a donation for the removal of the ads and domain and such when my check is deposited next Friday.

1. OOC profiles: This was brought up by Tsumi and would basically be similar to the Library section' date=' except the profiles would be based on the player. It would basically state all the things they were willing to do and not willing to do in the RP realm, such as whether or not a particular RPer was willing to RP a fight in game and to what extent. I have no idea of what to name the section so ideas are needed![/quote']

It wouldn't really keep with your 'room name' scheme, but an appropriate name for a forum such as this could be: 'RPer Preferences', or just 'Player Preferences' and it would probably be a good idea to use the example that Tsumi had posted, or otherwise draft up a template of items this could contain.

2. Guild rules: This was also brought up in the same discussion thread as the OOC profiles. This section would be a centralized location for guilds to post their individual rules' date=' or at least I think that was the proposal. Further clarification would be appreciated along with a name for the section.[/quote']

'Charter Room'? I don't know. What I was proposing was that each guild would have a thread in this forum and would post its rules there. While each guild would probably have its own website with the rules publicly displayed for all, this would give us all a centralized location to refer to if some RP with another group or a member of another group began. This, in conjunction with the Player Preferences threads would curb the need for a lot of communication to figure things out. (i.e. "We're having a tavern night and everyone's invited. Just take a moment to refer to GuildX's policies on the RPC before attending please.") The only drawback to this is that any changes made to a guild's rules/policies/guidelines would need to be posted in duplicate. I don't think that's too bad though.

3. Lore section: This is something I've contemplated adding and haven't mentioned yet. It would basically be a place to post official info from SE such as city info' date=' historical info, and other lore related to Hydaelyn (excluding "spoilers"). I was thinking of calling it the "Resource Room."[/quote']

This one might be a little tricky to implement, but what you might think of doing instead is 'stickying' a thread somewhere that contains links to this information - because there is sure to be a ton of other resources out there for this (FFXI comparison being the "history of Vana'diel" sites).

4. Storyline discussion: This would be a place to discuss characters' date=' stories, and profiles in an OOC manner. Basically just a place to make comments about certain characters or stories. Name also pending.[/quote']

A good idea, but might result in some conflict, particularly if peoples' guilds have opposing viewpoints on how they RP and stuff. I can foresee too easily a potential for a lot of cross-guild mudslinging and flame wars with these. Maybe with some very specific rules about how guild policies are different and to keep opinions and discussion respectful. Are you planning on keeping an area of these forums for story posts themselves, like for people to copy/paste from their own guild forums if they choose to share with the larger community? Or do you think it will be assumed that their forum systems will allow for public viewing of said story posts. I realize not all RP happens through posts, but a lot of times the background stuff does, and may be useful for everyone to know (so long as nobody metas or anything).

5. Journals: This would be as it sounds -- IC journals for characters to keep. There's probably no point in adding it at this point in time but I just wanted to let everyone know it was being considered for the future.

I like player journals, but 99.9% of these are going to be a character's own private thoughts. As above, if rules are in place about metagaming than I'm okay with this. I will use an example for this one. I would be upset if I had Kes write a journal entry describing, say, an argument she'd had with her father, and then the following day someone approached her and asked if everything had been smoothed over from the fight yesterday. I would however be okay with this if I had actually RPed a reaction over the pearl, or even if I had described in the journal entry very specifically how she'd stormed out of her father's house cursing a storm. "I happened to be in TownX yesterday and saw you storming through the streets muttering to yourself. Is everything ok?" But only if somewhere in the journal she had indicated that she was seething as she walked back home. Sorry for the longwindedness of this one. I'm sure most people know about metagaming, but just wanted to be absolutely clear. Also keeping everyone's private journals in one room seems a little odd, so you might want to forego the naming method on this and just leave it at 'Character Journals'.

These are just my thoughts. Please take them for what they're worth or expand upon them as you will. :)

As you likely noticed by now, I've modified the forums. I set up a separate "guild" category (name to be changed to whatever SE calls guilds). I also added the Barracks section for organized rules for each group. The Assembly Room was moved to the general category and I slightly changed the order of the RP sections. OOC profile section was also added. For now, I called it the "Directory," though that seems a bit bland >.>. Maybe Citizen's Directory?

This one might be a little tricky to implement' date=' but what you might think of doing instead is 'stickying' a thread somewhere that contains links to this information - because there is sure to be a ton of other resources out there for this (FFXI comparison being the "history of Vana'diel" sites).[/quote']

This crossed my mind as well. But I figured maybe -we- could become the new "history of Vana'diel" site for FF14. That way, Rpers and non-RPers alike would be coming to us for the info and thus increase traffic quite a bit. It only makes sense that the RP community would organize and maintain all of the lore for the world. It may also help in getting SE's attention a tad bit more since my hope is that we eventually can act as a liaison to them. Perhaps that's wishful thinking though since we all know that SE isn't known for their open communication >.>

A good idea' date=' but might result in some conflict, particularly if peoples' guilds have opposing viewpoints on how they RP and stuff. I can foresee too easily a potential for a lot of cross-guild mudslinging and flame wars with these. Maybe with some very specific rules about how guild policies are different and to keep opinions and discussion respectful. Are you planning on keeping an area of these forums for story posts themselves, like for people to copy/paste from their own guild forums if they choose to share with the larger community? Or do you think it will be assumed that their forum systems will allow for public viewing of said story posts. I realize not all RP happens through posts, but a lot of times the background stuff does, and may be useful for everyone to know (so long as nobody metas or anything).[/quote']

That's a fairly valid concern. It's one thing to have RP story discussions on a guild/linkshell forum since everyone there has pretty similar styles. But it's another to put it somewhere as diverse as here. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Journals will be added as well, but much later (like after the game launches probably).

Edit: Since the Roleplay category will likely have a lot of sections under it, I'll likely divide it up into two different categories eventually: Roleplay (Stories, events, interactive RP) and Resources (Library, Directory, possibly Resource Room).

On a final semi-related note, I've been promising people that we would be going public in no later than 2 weeks. We're nowhere near the originally desired 80+ registered users and it doesn't look like we'll reach that goal. My new tactic was to abandon the quotas for fear that people were being put off by them and instead focusing on getting people to want to register. I did this by opening up certain sections prematurely, starting the first preliminary discussion, and now giving the forum a face lift. But it looks like we'll just have to settle for ~60 coalition members at launch.

That's a fairly valid concern. It's one thing to have RP story discussions on a guild/linkshell forum since everyone there has pretty similar styles. But it's another to put it somewhere as diverse as here. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Yeah. The thing is, you don't have to post a discussion about your story if you're not comfortable. People that want wider variety of feedback should have the option to get that. :cheers: It's just an option.

This has less to do with the forums and more with the main site but I'll post it here anyway. I just wanted everyone to be aware that the current main page is mostly going to serve as a placeholder for the next few months. I realize it's extremely simplistic and not that impressive for a group trying to accomplish the things we're trying to accomplish. This will be noted in the public announcement as well. Anyway, sometime after we've officially gone public I'll probably start approaching some web experts around here to create a much more sophisticated and impressive main page that uses both html and flash (if possible). I'm hoping we'll end up with a really awesome looking main page before the game actually launches. But I did want everyone to know that I've been aware of the main site's unimpressiveness from the moment I created it :P . It will evolve into -much- more so long as I can communicate my various visions to our web experts.

I removed the forum ads today. You may notice a slightly smoother loading cycle as as result. Plus it just looks better as well. They're currently removed for 6 months. A special thanks to Kes and Mason for their generous contributions to help make this possible. We technically have enough for another 6 months but I'm holding off on that for now due to how the credit system works (we save money by choosing every six months as opposed to any other option).

I'll remove the ads on the main site tomorrow.

Oh, and we also made the 70 RPC member goal just in the nick of time 8-)