Forum Update

This crossed my mind as well. But I figured maybe -we- could become the new "history of Vana'diel" site for FF14. That way' date=' Rpers and non-RPers alike would be coming to us for the info and thus increase traffic quite a bit. It only makes sense that the RP community would organize and maintain all of the lore for the world. It may also help in getting SE's attention a tad bit more since my hope is that we eventually can act as a liaison to them. Perhaps that's wishful thinking though since we all know that SE isn't known for their open communication >.>[/quote']

I think a lore section with links and such would be easier to maintain. Have a person chosen to handle it and keep it up that's an admin.

A good idea' date=' but might result in some conflict, particularly if peoples' guilds have opposing viewpoints on how they RP and stuff. I can foresee too easily a potential for a lot of cross-guild mudslinging and flame wars with these. Maybe with some very specific rules about how guild policies are different and to keep opinions and discussion respectful. Are you planning on keeping an area of these forums for story posts themselves, like for people to copy/paste from their own guild forums if they choose to share with the larger community? Or do you think it will be assumed that their forum systems will allow for public viewing of said story posts. I realize not all RP happens through posts, but a lot of times the background stuff does, and may be useful for everyone to know (so long as nobody metas or anything).[/quote']

First off even if you don't post a section for them topics will eventually be posted by people discussing RP styles they like and don't like and some will become heated. You're living in a fantasy world if you think you can prevent this. I think a section with a clear statement by the admin that if threads get into "heated" arguments they will be locked will give you control. It worked on Starsider.

Meta-gaming is also not 100% preventable and if it happens an LS should deal with it. Not having a story section would be stupid over meta-gaming fears since most people will write them and be made to feel by the community its wrong and have to share them on some other forum or something where there fellow RPers aren't there to see them.

That's a fairly valid concern. It's one thing to have RP story discussions on a guild/linkshell forum since everyone there has pretty similar styles. But it's another to put it somewhere as diverse as here. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Journals will be added as well, but much later (like after the game launches probably).

Edit: Since the Roleplay category will likely have a lot of sections under it, I'll likely divide it up into two different categories eventually: Roleplay (Stories, events, interactive RP) and Resources (Library, Directory, possibly Resource Room).

Every LS I was ever in posted journals and there was never-ever a fight over them. Nor was this ever-ever-ever a problem in Starsider in the journal sections. This was argueably the most popular section. People who never rped with a character would read and keep up on the journals. It was great fun and you'd be missing out on a lot because of these, in my opinion, silly fears.

If you are parnoid about meta-gaming you personally don't have to post a journal or a story. Don't force others not to because of your own fears.

I think I was in a nostalgic mode and remembering all of the nonsense we had to deal with over the years when I wrote that post two weeks ago.

Regarding the discussion of storyline content, I agree that it's probably going to happen no matter what, and forum etiquette or even a set of rules or policies in place to keep them from getting too heated would probably be a very logical idea that could save a lot of grief in the long run. Also Mason makes a really good point in that people who want feedback can post as such. Would that make it inappropriate to discuss someone else's RP? Something to think about. I know I've offended someone in the past for writing a post which had spurned a discussion about a story post someone had made. Or do you put yourself on the chopping block the moment you post a story thread?

Again speaking only to what I know, in Crystalline we adopted a policy where the author of such a post could opt to create such a feedback thread. Most of the time they would just get some typographical/grammatical suggestions or an 'attaboy' but once in awhile it would spurn some interesting conversations about character behavior and such. While a lot of people were open to criticism and expressed as such, people either found nothing to criticize or were hesitant to do so.

I suspect that in a larger group such as the RPC with a more diverse crowd, and much more differing opinions, the reservations for criticism will be more diminished. I'm more concerned about the "loose reins RPers" with the blue skin and the ability to fly. Criticism of such things may not be perceived so much as insulting to the individual author so much as to the community which supports those rules. I can foresee groups of people getting upset that someone from a more rigid group is insulting their ways.

The 'RP Critic', while not a character type, has definitely become a cliche personality type I've run across on a number of occasions. These instigators actually RP very little (possibly out of fear of being criticized by others) and spend most of their time looking down on others' actions and words and casting insults around.

On a completely different vein, will there be any rules in place about the content? While some LS's may not support graphical scenes depicting a violent rape, for example - others might. On some boards this might be okay, but some people may have a problem with this sort of content being copied over to the RPC forums. While I don't like censorship, perhaps some sort of warning on both the subject line (i.e. - [EXPLICIT]) and in red text at the top of the post itself may be warranted in such instances, unless the RPC plans on taking specific measures to limit such content. While some RPers might be put off by these limitations, their other forums would likely allow it, and such posts might not reflect well on the RPC for new and prospective members coming to visit and experience what we're about. Just something else to think about.

Finally in regards to meta-gaming, it's not so much that I'm afraid about it - and I apologize if fear was the emotion I conveyed. I think concern was what I was aiming for. Most RPers have the iota of common sense to avoid acting in such a way. I just didn't think such a policy should be 'inferred', and something should be written up in forum guidelines. There are likely to be novice RPers who do not know about meta-gaming and this would be to their benefit, as well as anyone that they RP with. That is all.

Or do you put yourself on the chopping block the moment you post a story thread?

No, but the moment you create a discussion thread and say you are open to criticism... yes, yes you do. :twisted: Also even if I am on the side that would want criticism. it wont mean I'll take it all seriously. For example I know that a certain person/guild has a style of RP which I personally don't like, even if they give me a harsh critique, I might just brush it off if I feel like their points are based on their preference of RP style. Basically what I am getting at is, even if you do open up a thread for discussion it doesn't mean you NEED to take all of the criticism posted on it as valid.

On a completely different vein, will there be any rules in place about the content? While some LS's may not support graphical scenes depicting a violent rape, for example - others might. On some boards this might be okay, but some people may have a problem with this sort of content being copied over to the RPC forums. While I don't like censorship, perhaps some sort of warning on both the subject line (i.e. - [EXPLICIT]) and in red text at the top of the post itself may be warranted in such instances, unless the RPC plans on taking specific measures to limit such content. While some RPers might be put off by these limitations, their other forums would likely allow it, and such posts might not reflect well on the RPC for new and prospective members coming to visit and experience what we're about. Just something else to think about.

I feel strongly about this issue as well. Just as with the discussion/criticism I advise for the hands-off approach. Make all stories legit to post, but require they be marked appropriately. What Kes suggests is a fine way to do it. Perhaps we can also have stories section split into PG-13 and R rated sub-categories on the forum. That way a person really has a choice to click on the forum to view the explicit stories or not. Here's to self control. I assume if one doesn't want to look at gory stories they can steer clear of clicking on obviously labeled threads.

On other forums I've been to, people put tags on their thread titles. A rating system using tags like [G], [PG], [R], etc could be used to indicate levels of explicitness and violence. Authors who don't mind discussion on their stories could use something like [DIS], while those who don't could use [CDIS]. A poster could use the same sort of system to show whether or not their thread was open for participation to everyone, IC or OOC knowledge, etc. I think, or at least hope, our members will be capable of self-moderation, and don't think there would be much of a problem with being open to all sorts of content as long as everyone makes it clear beforehand what level of graphicness they're comfortable with.

I think I was in a nostalgic mode and remembering all of the nonsense we had to deal with over the years when I wrote that post two weeks ago.

Regarding the discussion of storyline content, I agree that it's probably going to happen no matter what, and forum etiquette or even a set of rules or policies in place to keep them from getting too heated would probably be a very logical idea that could save a lot of grief in the long run. Also Mason makes a really good point in that people who want feedback can post as such. Would that make it inappropriate to discuss someone else's RP? Something to think about. I know I've offended someone in the past for writing a post which had spurned a discussion about a story post someone had made. Or do you put yourself on the chopping block the moment you post a story thread?

Like Mason said if you create a thread to discuss your story you are inviting both compliments and critcism and have no right to be angry if someone critiques your work. In real-life you take criticism with a grain of salt so its perfectly possible to on this or any other board.

Again speaking only to what I know, in Crystalline we adopted a policy where the author of such a post could opt to create such a feedback thread. Most of the time they would just get some typographical/grammatical suggestions or an 'attaboy' but once in awhile it would spurn some interesting conversations about character behavior and such. While a lot of people were open to criticism and expressed as such, people either found nothing to criticize or were hesitant to do so.

I suspect that in a larger group such as the RPC with a more diverse crowd, and much more differing opinions, the reservations for criticism will be more diminished. I'm more concerned about the "loose reins RPers" with the blue skin and the ability to fly. Criticism of such things may not be perceived so much as insulting to the individual author so much as to the community which supports those rules. I can foresee groups of people getting upset that someone from a more rigid group is insulting their ways.

If a special thread is made to discuss stories and journals the way Starsider did you can have a topic sticked at the top saying that only authors are allowed to open discussions of their work. Remind them in the post they are inviting crticism and compliments on their work and to talk it with a grain of salt. Also you could post a reminder of the RPC policies against harrassment and that if criticism developes into a flame war or harassment it will be locked.

The 'RP Critic'' date=' while not a character type, has definitely become a cliche personality type I've run across on a number of occasions. These instigators actually RP very little (possibly out of fear of being criticized by others) and spend most of their time looking down on others' actions and words and casting insults around.[/quote']

Again most people like this slit their own throat eventually. If they broke RPC behavior rules then they'd be stopped but if all they did is criticise most people will ignore them.

On a completely different vein' date=' will there be any rules in place about the content? While some LS's may not support graphical scenes depicting a violent rape, for example - others might. On some boards this might be okay, but some people may have a problem with this sort of content being copied over to the RPC forums. While I don't like censorship, perhaps some sort of warning on both the subject line (i.e. - [EXPLICIT']) and in red text at the top of the post itself may be warranted in such instances, unless the RPC plans on taking specific measures to limit such content. While some RPers might be put off by these limitations, their other forums would likely allow it, and such posts might not reflect well on the RPC for new and prospective members coming to visit and experience what we're about. Just something else to think about.

Just make a post in the begining that they rate the story in their topic line via movie or video game guidelines. If I don't want to read explicit content and see: Blood and Sex (Rated R/M) I won't read the topic and get offended.

Finally in regards to meta-gaming' date=' it's not so much that I'm afraid about it - and I apologize if fear was the emotion I conveyed. I think [i']concern[/i] was what I was aiming for. Most RPers have the iota of common sense to avoid acting in such a way. I just didn't think such a policy should be 'inferred', and something should be written up in forum guidelines. There are likely to be novice RPers who do not know about meta-gaming and this would be to their benefit, as well as anyone that they RP with. That is all.

Again just post a warning against meta-gaming in a sticky in that thread and suggest people post whether or not they are willing for content in this to become public knowledge. We routinely did that on starsider. Like I'd write :

NOTE: THIS IS JUST A REMINDER THAT YOU WOULD NEED MY PERMISSION TO KNOW OR USE ANY OF THIS MATERIAL DURING RP. MESSAGE ME IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS THIS POSSIBILITY.

I feel strongly about this issue as well. Just as with the discussion/criticism I advise for the hands-off approach. Make all stories legit to post' date=' but require they be marked appropriately. What Kes suggests is a fine way to do it. Perhaps we can also have stories section split into PG-13 and R rated sub-categories on the forum. That way a person really has a choice to click on the forum to view the explicit stories or not. Here's to self control. I assume if one doesn't want to look at gory stories they can steer clear of clicking on obviously labeled threads.[/quote']

I thought you might feel strongly about this. I think self-control is good, but during my history of RP I have encountered a lot of younger children RPing that would likely be unable to exercise this sort of self-control. Maybe some sort of general disclaimer that the RPC isn't responsible for the content posted. Something to defer to at least when Castiel receives a nasty PM from some 16-y/o's mother. :roll:

Any suggestion I make will likely be met with criticism since I'll make no secret of the fact that I'm opposed to the 'Rated R/M' stuff. I've always felt that creative writing can easily sidestep such elements, or leave them to the reader's imagination. Most of the mature content posts I've come across seem to me to be little more than ploys at attention-grabbing or shock-factor, and would probably quickly lose their potency after the first couple instances. Though I will grant you my experience with this sort of subject matter is fairly limited. And while I will probably not ever write such a post, I would like to be able to read them - and would not post criticism based on the content rating of the post alone. I simply want to be aware of how storyline is progressing.

Again just post a warning against meta-gaming in a sticky in that thread and suggest people post whether or not they are willing for content in this to become public knowledge. We routinely did that on starsider. Like I'd write :

NOTE: THIS IS JUST A REMINDER THAT YOU WOULD NEED MY PERMISSION TO KNOW OR USE ANY OF THIS MATERIAL DURING RP. MESSAGE ME IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS THIS POSSIBILITY.

This is a good idea. Both the sticky about meta-gaming and the notation in the story post itself. It is likely that I will often use this.

I've already rated the forum content so it's somewhat of a needless discussion. It's posted in the Headlines sticky. The rating for these forums is between Teen and Mature and explicit sex scenes are a definate no-no. I feel this rating is a step up from the PG13 rating many of our own groups come from but not too far over the edge either. It's actually the most likely rating for FF14 itself. A little bit of sexual language, profanity, and gore is okay. But if it gets a little too heavy, it'll probably be swiftly removed and I'll just send a PM to the writer about toning it down or something. If anyone wants to post anything too extreme, it's probably better they keep that particular content on their individual guild forums (if even permitted there). As such a diverse group in styles and age groups, there has to be a fine line somewhere. There are going to be 13-14 year olds here, if not already. Not only that, but we also don't want to obtain any kind of bad reputation on other major community forums because of inappropriate content posted here. I've heard enough "lolcyber" jokes to last a lifetime for instance.

That being said, posters should go with the "fade-to-black" type of style when things go beyond the Teen/Mature rating. I've honestly never even seen anyone from any of the groups here post anything that would be considered "over the line" so it's probably nothing to really worry about. This is especially true since a lot of the RPers coming here are coming from PG-13 backgrounds.

As previously stated somewhere in this thread, I've created a "resources" category for the forums. The library and directory have both been moved there. I've also added the "museum" section which will handle the compiling of lore. I'd like there to be 1-3 users in charge of keeping lore updated (keeping everything neat and easy to find, editing posts, etc). I'll make an announcement post in that section momentarily and it can further be discussed there.