Decision between Servers

Kiht

I also can't help but find it amusing how against cliques he is, yet he was the lead-runner of the biggest clique thus far in this community: the splitting off to Gilgamesh.

I don't think the Gilgamesh server is a clique. A fair amount of members on this site feel strongly enough about the issue to want another server choice. The various threads about it are proof of that. Rock was just vocal and proactive about it.

Some RPC members decide that they don't want to join an existing community, but start their own group, due to various reasons (economy, levels, achievements, fresh-start, etc). That is a clique.

Here's a better definition: a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons; especially : one held together by common interests, views, or purposes.

It is a clique. As RPers, we exist in a clique already in the larger XIV community. Clique-ception (stolen from Shippuu).

My point is, as was in my original post, that they are everywhere. The least we can do is acknowledge it and not be hypocrites.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I also can't help but find it amusing how against cliques he is, yet he was the lead-runner of the biggest clique thus far in this community: the splitting off to Gilgamesh.

I know this thread will be locked, but I had to say that. :|

I always hated seeing threads like this and it's what kept me from registering here. After most of the backhanded comments and new player head hunting died down is when I decided to join HRC. I can't help but to feel bad now since deciding on Gilgamesh is stepping on some people's toes.

I wish everyone could just have more tact on both sides. It's suppose to be a community right?

I know this thread will be locked, but I had to say that. :|

I always hated seeing threads like this and it's what kept me from registering here. After most of the backhanded comments and new player head hunting died down is when I decided to join HRC. I can't help but to feel bad now since deciding on Gilgamesh is stepping on some people's toes.

I wish everyone could just have more tact on both sides. It's suppose to be a community right?

Why should you feel bad about picking the server YOU want to play on? It's no one else's decision so don't feel bad for it.

It's suppose to be a community right?

com·mu·ni·ty

noun, plural com·mu·ni·ties.

-a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.

So then to the Gilgamesh players, what community do you want to be a part of? Because it certainly wasn't the community this entire site thrived on for years on their home of Balmung...

I'm in no way an old timer in this community, though I'm not in any way new to FFXIV. I played during 1.0, even if it wasn't long. With that being said I can still see the points on both sides, new players feel overwhelmed by the old community, or just want to be trail blazers and define the community on a new server the same way a lot of the older players did on Balmung. However on the side of the older players it may seem a little like these new players are coming into their home (the RPC) and causing a rift in it by splitting people between the two servers. Every time these threads pop up with people trying to decide which server to join, it only reminds them that after the split to Gilgamesh their once unified community is not divided.

snip-

My point is, as was in my original post, that they are everywhere. The least we can do is acknowledge it and not be hypocrites.

I guess we can agree that clique can have a different definition for others. In the spirit of mutual acceptance, let's agree that cliques are not inherently bad.

It's our duty to make sure that the image of RP cliques being insular is minimized.

Rock's ideas of all inclusiveness is a good one in my eyes.

After most of the backhanded comments and new player head hunting died down is when I decided to join HRC.

When was there head-hunting? I mean I only joined in the middle of P3, was it before that? Cuz I haven't seen any evidence of it what-so-ever...

It was also very, very crowded, and I had some slowdown problems as a result (this likely also had to do with my playing on PS3, but still the difference was there)

Off-topic I know, but does the PS3 really experience considerable slow-down? My laptop cannot run FFXIV, so I resolved to pre-order the PS3 variant hoping I would be alright. Please tell me this isn't a concern.:cry:

There is pop-up when it gets crowded. Also the graphics are pared down. It's still playable on all counts. No worries. I'll be using it until the PS4 version comes out.

I see... Thank you.

I'm still a tad worried however. I'm not a fan of major slowdown when I'm just hanging out in town.

All in all, you have to remember:  If a group of people start Roleplaying together -  Its going to form into a clique.  It is up to the group itself if it wants others to be inside.  From what I've seen, however, very seldom does this happen.  They usually form around one "popular" character, which is then treated like a god and is held more important than the rest, whether it be in answering questions, or the inclusion of actual Roleplay.

Clique's -will- form, no matter where you go.  It's how you deal and associate with these cliques that really dictates whether you'll be outcasted by them, or included with them.  You can deal with them, or complain about them.  Both yield good and bad results.  Sometimes people just need to hear the truth on what they are doing, from the outside looking in.  Whether or not your one of those people, the eyes need to be opened to the rest of everybody else if all else fails.  If you feel like your being ignored or not included, then say something.  If you feel like your group is doing this to someone else, then say something.  It's easy really:  Treat others the way you want to be treated.

In conclusion, as far as which server to join, just ask your friends or family, or friends of family what their thoughts are on the matter.  Both servers have an opportunity, no matter what everyone says.  Both will have amazing Roleplay, and both will have griefers.  It's an MMO.  It doesnt matter where you go, you will be singled out, in a good or bad way. 

Personally, Balmung for me, but thats just because thats where my FFXIV roots started.