i have question about grinding?

For starters, this isn't the proper forum for this sort of question. You'd generally be better off posting a topic like this over in the RP Discussion forums.

That being said, how you level a character has never, and WILL never influence whether you can, or cannot RP. RP exists apart from standard ingame mechanics, it in no way relies on them.

So to answer your question? Yes, you can grind mobs on your character and still be an active roleplayer.:thumbsup:

I think the better question is can YOU? ^.~ The only possible roadblock I can see, is time. 

Being able to decide.. "Do I want to grind for the next hour, or do I want to grind for thirty minutes and maybe look for some RP? Or do I want to grind untill I find RP? Or do I want to run in circles in the middle of a populated city because I have nothing better to do with my day?"

Those are the questions I generally ask myself.

....I run in circles a lot.

The tricky thing about grinding in this game is that Yoshi pretty much made all the world enemies trash mobs as he didn't want there to be any party based world play outside of FATEs...Don't know why he decided to do this but I personally love grind as well and this really upsets me. I actually enjoyed the grind in XI as each level felt like a real accomplishment.

Most leveling will be done in dungeons and quests but honestly...eff that noise. I am going to go beat up a bunch of random baddies in the world and explore :thumbsup:. I am a Legacy player but am scraping my character for a fresh start in 2.0 so if you end up on Balmung maybe you and I can do some grinding together and maybe even combine RP and grinding?

You can still grind in ARR. I guess that just depends on how strictly you want to define grinding though. If you're thinking grinding as in the FFXI version where parties would go to a camp and pull mobs for 5 hours straight for minimal xp gain per mob, then no, there is no more grinding like that in FFXIV.

However there are plenty more ways to gain levels in ARR. It's not just quests and dungeons, though they are both a good source of xp. You can actually go out, make a party, and grind mobs. Only the mobs you'll be targeting are off of your Hunting Log. These make great xp and generally require each member to kill between 5 and 10 of each type. You can do levequests. Let your levequest allowance fill up for a day or so and have fun burning through 20-30 of those suckers. That'll give you the ol' grinding feeling right there. There are FATEs which give great xp as well. Guildhests, which give amaaaaaazing xp whenever there's someone going through them for the first time in the party. These also have the added bonus of teaching very important party mechanics necessary to complete later dungeons. There are of course dungeons. You can spam these for levels and gear. And they're fun! 

So yeah, not everything in ARR is quest-based leveling. You've got options. And I think these alternative ways of leveling would be a lot easier to RP than sitting around grinding mobs and trying to make that interesting. But that's just my opinion.

Most leveling will be done in dungeons and quests but honestly...eff that noise. I am going to go beat up a bunch of random baddies in the world and explore . I am a Legacy player but am scraping my character for a fresh start in 2.0 so if you end up on Balmung maybe you and I can do some grinding together and maybe even combine RP and grinding?sound good to me 

Also something to keep in mind:

RPing is not limited to taverns and cities.

In fact... I -prefer- to RP in the world, in a group, killing stuff and adventuring. Strict Tavern RP makes me restless and kinda bored after awhile.

Small group/intimate (aka not chicki-bow-wow, but one-on-one character development focused RP) is my favorite... speckled with adventure and storylines.

So yah.. you can grind AND RP. Simultaneously, if you want.

Or... if group RP whilst grinding isn't your cuppa joe... there's bound to be virtual taverns via LS you can RP in as you OOC smack things.

All depending on what you're into.

RP is not anti-PvE... or PvP.... or dungeoning....

You CAN have your cake and eat it too. :)

Indeed so! One of my favorite things to do is PvE content while IC. The game itself gives you justifications for Primal fights, and there's a lot of ways to finesse even repeating dungeons -- you can be ICly in a different part of the same dungeon, cleaning out another threat that's taken up residence, destroying the same opponents ("who keeps Reviving these guys?"), and more. Plus, doing content IC lets you explore characters in their professional (or, um, not quite professional :) ) element. Seeing how a character reacts to danger, to story elements, to failure, and to success brings a new light onto them and offers opportunities for character growth.

Not too sure if this is an appropriate tangent however, with the onset of cross class skills do you guys intend to RP your acquirement of these skills with other LS or FC members? Asking them for tutelage etc.

I ask this from a personal perspective because the whole "Ding! Look what I learned" concept seems to leave out for some potential relationship / mentor type RP scenarios with other characters who might offer more insight to those class specific abilities to foster personal growth.

I think incorporating such things into the RP would be great... on the skills you WANT to acknowledge as learning IC.

(Some of us have the goal to eventually master all the classes- but might not do so IC)

Personally... I plan to learn/acknowledge my training IC only a few things. I might acknowledge knowing -aspects- of different things (eventually) but I will never claim IC to be a master of all forms of Magic, War, Land and Hand.

I think incorporating such things into the RP would be great... on the skills you WANT to acknowledge as learning IC.

(Some of us have the goal to eventually master all the classes- but might not do so IC)

Personally... I plan to learn/acknowledge my training IC only a few things. I might acknowledge knowing -aspects- of different things (eventually) but I will never claim IC to be a master of all forms of Magic, War, Land and Hand.

This is an aspect of the game I will have to get used to in terms of incorporating RP into the notion that one character can obtain / master all classes  opposed to the more traditional single class role RP identity.

It's sounds quirky but it feels like I've been caught cross dressing.:blush:

"When did you learn the art of wind(aero), B'jaern?"

-------------

*Eeep! hides behind tree, switches weapon and garb*

*re-appears whistling nonchalantly* "What? Where? I have no idea what you're talking about" :lol: