Server guidance for those new to the community

First, I approve of the change.

Second, please stop this. Balmung players, take a look at yourself. Some (not all) of you are getting quite nasty and venomous...then wonder why the Gilgamesh players don't want to play with you? There are two servers, one legacy, one non. No matter how justified either side feels, being nasty or bitter doesn't help. I know players on Balmung and Gilgamesh that are embarrased and disgusted by the infighting.

This isn't helping the RPC. And both sides are responsible. For our sake, Balmung and Gilgamesh players alike...can we please stop this?

I generally don't take sides but the Gilgamesh dude came in pretty aggressive, where's his chastising man?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally don't take sides but the Gilgamesh dude came in pretty aggressive, where's his chastising man?

It think part of the problem is that both sides are very high strung right now. Some of us who are trying not to take sides are just walking away - which leaves those who are very passionate about their possitions to stand off. It's really not a community discussion any more. It's a discussion between a few very passionate individuals across an electronic medium that makes it all but impossible to properly interpret eachother's meanings and is thus leaving the entire thing to suffer from misinterpretation of what the other side says, and more high strung-ness... etc.

I'm going to confess that I have gotten annoyed by some posts and I had to sit back and ask myself if it's because I felt attacked because I was the other side. Would I feel the same if I had already chosen the other server? That's what I mean by misinterpretation. We're all just pounding our fist against a wall and trying to break it down, but only getting bloody knuckles while the person on the other side doesn't see it as you trying to break down the wall separating them - they see it as you making a crap tone of noise while they are trying to watch a movie.

So... I'll just leave this right here.....

Hi. I'm one of the new people. I based my server decision on which server name sounded cooler. Unfortunately, I see a bunch of adults arguing over...well, its hard to say at this point. But it's one of those first impression things.

Edit: Wording. I guess this was all about wording.

Second, please stop this.  Balmung players, take a look at yourself.  Some (not all) of you are getting quite nasty and venomous...then wonder why the Gilgamesh players don't want to play with you?  There are two servers, one legacy, one non.  No matter how justified either side feels, being nasty or bitter doesn't help.  I know players on Balmung and Gilgamesh that are embarrased and disgusted by the infighting.

This isn't helping the RPC.  And both sides are responsible.  For our sake, Balmung and Gilgamesh players alike...can we please stop this?

Reread my thread.  I specifically said both sides are responsible.

Second, please stop this.  Balmung players, take a look at yourself.  Some (not all) of you are getting quite nasty and venomous...then wonder why the Gilgamesh players don't want to play with you?  There are two servers, one legacy, one non.  No matter how justified either side feels, being nasty or bitter doesn't help.  I know players on Balmung and Gilgamesh that are embarrased and disgusted by the infighting.

This isn't helping the RPC.  And both sides are responsible.  For our sake, Balmung and Gilgamesh players alike...can we please stop this?

I reread it, she's speaking specifically about the bias singling out Balmung players (some of them), telling them to "take a look at themselves." She's asking why there was no repercussion to the Gilgamesh side (implying straight up you're bias).

So since Yoshida announced that paid world transfers will be available weeks after launch with no mention of Legacy restrictions what-so-ever, does that kind of make the whole Legacy vs. Non-Legacy argument kind of a moot point now? Assuming there are no restrictions this means Gilgamesh will have Legacy Redditors and what not by the end of the first month of service. I only bring this up because if that's the case there's no point in even designating it as the Non-Legacy server to begin with because it'll only old that spot for about a month before it not only has it's own new level 50s, but Legacy 50s as well.

So since Yoshida announced that paid world transfers will be available weeks after launch with no mention of Legacy restrictions what-so-ever, does that kind of make the whole Legacy vs. Non-Legacy argument kind of a moot point now? Assuming there are no restrictions this means Gilgamesh will have Legacy Redditors and what not by the end of the first month of service. I only bring this up because if that's the case there's no point in even designating it as the Non-Legacy server to begin with because it'll only old that spot for about a month before it not only has it's own new level 50s, but Legacy 50s as well.

Everybody is not going to Gilgamesh for the same reasons. Can't we just respect people's reasons as adults to choose no matter what that reason is?

I reread it, she's speaking specifically about the bias singling out Balmung players (some of them), telling them to "take a look at themselves." She's asking why there was no repercussion to the Gilgamesh side (implying straight up you're bias).

*sigh*

I have noted many Balmung players asking why people are going to Gilgamesh instead of Balmung with them. I pointed out one reason. You're not going to have a lot of success by being venomous. You're not presenting yourself in a manner that would attract players and are, in fact, contributing to the very problem you're lamenting.

I am not taking sides. I am not admonishing anyone. I am trying to get people from both servers to realize that this is doing nothing but causing massive amounts of damage. I am a father, and my tone (which isn't conveyed over the net sadly) was similar. "Son, I know you're upset Billy won't play with you, but look at how you're behaving. Do you think this will make him more likely to play with you?"

Both sides, drop the anger and knee jerk reactions. Calm yourself and clear your mind before responding. Tensions are high and it's getting the best of us.

To give my personal "opinion." Yes I feel it is currently moot because you're exactly right. But, there has been so much "drive" behind the movement that it may not matter now regardless as now I'm sure most are rolling on it because they said they're rolling on it. It's probably as simple as that to some now.

Everybody is not going to Gilgamesh for the same reasons. Can't we just respect people's reasons as adults to choose no matter what that reason is?

I never mentioned anything about peoples reasons for going to Gilgamesh, so no need to get so defensive. I merely asked if it made the whole Legacy vs. Non-Legacy thing moot.

*sigh*

I have noted many Balmung players asking why people are going to Gilgamesh instead of Balmung with them. I pointed out one reason. You're not going to have a lot of success by being venomous. You're not presenting yourself in a manner that would attract players and are, in fact, contributing to the very problem you're lamenting.

I am not taking sides. I am not admonishing anyone. I am trying to get people from both servers to realize that this is doing nothing but causing massive amounts of damage. I am a father, and my tone (which isn't conveyed over the net sadly) was similar. "Son, I know you're upset Billy won't play with you, but look at how you're behaving. Do you think this will make him more likely to play with you?"

Both sides, drop the anger and knee jerk reactions. Calm yourself and clear your mind before responding. Tensions are high and it's getting the best of us.

Understood. I, as well as I'm sure others, appreciate this kind of clarification because yes, tones do tend to get misunderstood over the internet. I also agree, that folks need to calm down on the subject and let the chips fall where they may at this point.

I think it would be best stated like this:

"You want to play FFXIV? I advise you to go to a server. They're all pretty good. Here are two that are particularly good. Which one would you like better? Try them out."

The Drama Llama needs to be put back in its cage. Put the anger back under the rock it came from, and have a group hug. We really are all here for the same purpose. It's about time we start acting like it instead of arguing over silly things. Bad attitudes, and really, attitudes at all, aren't going to change anyone's perception. Just be supportive and welcoming, and things will sort themselves out in the end.

As of now with the constant bickering, the most "official unofficial" RP server is Balmung. Seriously guys, those kind folk won't bite! Even a writer from Joystiq commented on how he misses Balmung!! ( http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/20/the-mog-log-final-fantasy-xiv-makes-me-happy-in-small-ways/ go to: The roleplaying community)

Balmung is the older of the two. And I am happy a reviewer had a good time there. But to say one server is more official unofficial or what have you? Enough.

The blurb we have right now sums it up perfectly. Can't we just leave it at that?

As of now with the constant bickering, the most "official unofficial" RP server is Balmung.

As of now this is the most unfounded claim on this entire thread. Balmung isn't the most "official unofficial" RP server. It's the unofficial RP server for Legacy AND non-legacy players. Leave it at that. Gilgamesh is the unofficial RP server for new players exclusively.

Also, just because Yoshida didn't mention restrictions on legacy players transferring off, doesn't mean there won't be. I'm still going to Gilgamesh. And even if they CAN transfer, the same problem is still averted. I get a few weeks of play without them there so the server economy and my gameplay can stabilize.

Everyone has their reasons. Stop fighting over it. Seriously.

I think it would be best stated like this:

"You want to play FFXIV? I advise you to go to a server. They're all pretty good. Here are two that are particularly good. Which one would you like better? Try them out."

The Drama Llama needs to be put back in its cage. Put the anger back under the rock it came from, and have a group hug. We really are all here for the same purpose. It's about time we start acting like it instead of arguing over silly things. Bad attitudes, and really, attitudes at all, aren't going to change anyone's perception. Just be supportive and welcoming, and things will sort themselves out in the end.

Yes. I'm quoting myself.

Stop the bickering. Stop posturing. Stop pushing one ahead of the other. Let people make their own decisions. Thanks.

I think what dude was trying to say is:

Outside from our personal group Balmung is being advertised as the roleplaying server by another organization that many gamers read

This has the sub-fact that:

1. People who are looking for an RP server who have not found their way here already or who are trying to decide which place to go after a web-search may have a slightly increased chance of finding Balmung.

What this sub-fact does not mean:

1. One server is better than the other. One is more established - that's a fact and there are perks with that fact and that fact is the primary reason I understand Gilgamesh to be formed.

2. That anyone on either side should go spamming the beta forums, youtube, or any other place to make things "even" or carry out a flamewar.

If I may:

Unintentionally I think there's a lot of sub-things being said that perpetuate this flame war:

What does the statement "Our product doesn't have asbestos!" really say?

Yes, it says that the product doesn't have this material in it. But, it also strongly implies that it doesn't have asbestos UNLIKE other similar products. They can get away with saying "We didn't say that X has asbestos in it" and make that claim but it's actually a bit sneaky on the marketing departments.

I've seen a lot of commons here and in other threads "Our server will X" "Our server will Y" which include things like the aforementioned asbestos comment and I think that's where a lot of our anger comes from. In people (and I'm going to presume all of this is accidental and just good natured) 's enthusiasm to talk about the good points of their own place there IS a tendency to imply the other group has weak points that realistically haven't been established.

Considering that people have chosen servers or in some case are the people who are being talked about... it's taken personally (how could it not be?) and then people get upset and the arguments get really heated.

The middle school teacher in me asks you to really, really consider if you're giving an asbestos comment, thus. Just check before you post to make sure your words aren't implicating someone else in an action. We only have a short while until we get to all play a game we're super excited about... it'd be nice if we could put this behind us.

I think what dude was trying to say is:

Outside from our personal group Balmung is being advertised as the roleplaying server by another organization that many gamers read

This has the sub-fact that:

1. People who are looking for an RP server who have not found their way here already or who are trying to decide which place to go after a web-search may have a slightly increased chance of finding Balmung.

What this sub-fact does not mean:

1. One server is better than the other. One is more established - that's a fact and there are perks with that fact and that fact is the primary reason I understand Gilgamesh to be formed.

2. That anyone on either side should go spamming the beta forums, youtube, or any other place to make things "even" or carry out a flamewar.

If I may:

Unintentionally I think there's a lot of sub-things being said that perpetuate this flame war:

What does the statement "Our product doesn't have asbestos!" really say?

Yes, it says that the product doesn't have this material in it. But, it also strongly implies that it doesn't have asbestos UNLIKE other similar products. They can get away with saying "We didn't say that X has asbestos in it" and make that claim but it's actually a bit sneaky on the marketing departments.

I've seen a lot of commons here and in other threads "Our server will X" "Our server will Y" which include things like the aforementioned asbestos comment and I think that's where a lot of our anger comes from. In people (and I'm going to presume all of this is accidental and just good natured) 's enthusiasm to talk about the good points of their own place there IS a tendency to imply the other group has weak points that realistically haven't been established.

Considering that people have chosen servers or in some case are the people who are being talked about... it's taken personally (how could it not be?) and then people get upset and the arguments get really heated.

The middle school teacher in me asks you to really, really consider if you're giving an asbestos comment, thus. Just check before you post to make sure your words aren't implicating someone else in an action. We only have a short while until we get to all play a game we're super excited about... it'd be nice if we could put this behind us.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, I think people read a little too into what I said to the point of being downright offended, which is silly! All I was saying was that Balmung people are firm, there's not squabbling of this Legacy server vs that Legacy server. I wasn't LITERALLY putting an official tag on anything, I'm saying that the Balmung folk are settled.

Thank you Koren. For you other RP folk: Calm. Down. I know things have been rough because of all of these arguments, but try not to make a crater from an ant hole. You guys really made 3 reply comments saying the same thing because of a misunderstanding.

dead-horse.gif

The horse represents the topic at hand.

The guy represents people posting here.

And to those blaming each other: you're only making yourselves look bad by pointing fingers. Especially to those being pointed.

As a Legacy player who intends to roll on Gilgamesh as well, I almost feel like I should stick to Balmung only in fear of being ostracized by Gilgameshians for my divided "loyalties".

We're not at war, FFS.

Thankfully, I know the venomous minority is just that.

On another note...

All I was saying was that Balmung people are firm, there's not squabbling of this Legacy server vs that Legacy server. I wasn't LITERALLY putting an official tag on anything, I'm saying that the Balmung folk are settled.

To be fair, the only reason it's that way is that we Legacy players already have all our Legacy characters on Balmung and we lose our Legacy-ness if we roll elsewhere.

Don't be mistaken, we've been through all that same drama server war back when we voted prior to 1.0 launch!