Server guidance for those new to the community

A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is an RP server for both new and legacy characters. While Gilgamesh is another server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

There you go, minor change yet preserves the neutrality of the listing. Swap it to that and I support it.

Even this is more direct and helpful to new comers to the site. Short, to the point, informative, and entirely neutral!

If the announcement does not allow for links, then the information presented is simple enough to remove the link portion.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as neutrality is desired, as Kylin stated in the original poll, Balmung is the primary server supported by this website, and Gilgamesh is the secondary. I'm sorry if that doesn't please everyone (I honestly wish it did), but it's not something should change.

Please point out where on this website ANYWHERE on the front page that it says Balmung is the "primary" server.

Please see the above poll when Gilgamesh was selected as the secondary server.

As much as neutrality is desired, as Kylin stated in the original poll, Balmung is the primary server supported by this website, and Gilgamesh is the secondary. I'm sorry if that doesn't please everyone (I honestly wish it did), but it's not something should change.

Please point out where on this website ANYWHERE on the front page that it says Balmung is the "primary" server.

Please see the above post where Merri discredited that.

As has been mentioned, we have since taken on the stance that neither server is to be labeled primary OR secondary. They are the legacy server, and the non-legacy server. Many, many people in Gilgamesh took offense to being labeled secondary, and rightfully so. It undermines what they are, and it is both unfair and completely unnecessary.

There is absolutely no reason for it to be labeled secondary. None. This isn't "Balmung Roleplayers", it's Hydaelyn Roleplayers, and we have since taken on the stance of supporting Gilgamesh fully as the non-legacy server.

No more distinction is needed between the two.

As has been mentioned' date=' we have [i']since[/i] taken on the stance that neither server is to be labeled primary OR secondary.

Noted! I was completely unaware of this. May I then instead suggest the following:

A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is the RP server for both new and legacy characters. Gilgamesh is an alternative server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

As has been mentioned, we have since taken on the stance that neither server is to be labeled primary OR secondary. They are the legacy server, and the non-legacy server. Many, many people in Gilgamesh took offense to being labeled secondary, and rightfully so. It undermines what they are, and it is both unfair and completely unnecessary.

There is absolutely no reason for it to be labeled secondary. None. This isn't "Balmung Roleplayers", it's Hydaelyn Roleplayers, and we have since taken on the stance of supporting Gilgamesh fully as the non-legacy server.

No more distinction is needed between the two.

Great. Thanks for clarifying that. Because it's totally okay to offend people on Balmung by bending over backwards to be neutral, after it was stated to all of us that when we decided that we'd support a secondary server that it would be called that, for the sake of our community.

I like the new edit. I say yes to making sure people know that Balmung is for non-legacy too because a forum I go to just found out about the RPC server things a few days ago and thought that Balmung was for Legacy only and Gilgamesh was for new people. And I was like "Well, there seems to be some confusion here..." and that may be on other forums as well

Great. Thanks for clarifying that. Because it's totally okay to offend people on Balmung by bending over backwards to be neutral, after it was stated to all of us that when we decided that we'd support a secondary server that it would be called that, for the sake of our community.

Sorry to say, but maintaining a neutral ground on this whole thing shouldn't "offend" you. It's not inconveniencing you in any way to see Gilgamesh as an equal entity.

As has been mentioned, we have since taken on the stance that neither server is to be labeled primary OR secondary.

Noted! I was completely unaware of this. May I then instead suggest the following:

A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is the RP server for both new and legacy characters. Gilgamesh is an alternative server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

This very much has my vote.

I like the new edit. I say yes to making sure people know that Balmung is for non-legacy too because a forum I go to just found out about the RPC server things a few days ago and thought that Balmung was for Legacy only and Gilgamesh was for new people. And I was like "Well, there seems to be some confusion here..." and that may be on other forums as well

I've seen that many times now. While I'm disheartened to learn this community no longer has a primary server—especially as our company's decision on where to locate was informed by the communicated position that we did have one—so be it. We can still improve the existing message by clarifying the difference between the two servers regardless.

I've seen that many times now. While I'm disheartened to learn this community no longer has a primary server—especially as our company's decision on where to locate was informed by the communicated position that we did have one—so be it. We can still improve the existing message by clarifying the difference between the two servers regardless.

It may not be called the "primary" server, but it is and always will be the original and oldest of the two. But I agree that the header text should be changed.

I have been pretty much neutral in this whole server thing the best way I can, but I am definitely behind you on this one. The last time they did this it lead to a lot of new people coming on the site and thinking that Balmung was ONLY for legacy and Gilgamesh was where all the new people should go to. And many websites are literally posting things that just say Balmung is for Legacy, Gilgamesh is for non-legacy. Such as this topic on gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/forum/official-unofficial-rp-server-66919919/

Luckily we have had much more time to try to correct this back when the RPC decided to stay very vague last time on the server subject, as we had like a month and a half in advanced to get everything sorted out. Now I understand the want for the admins to want to appear neutral and I am sure they are in a stressful situation, but I constantly feel like the players on Balmung keep getting the short end of the stick when it comes to this topic. If anything the RPC, the major RP hub basically for RP in FF, should be a little more clear than all the other websites floating around.

Edit: Ah, somehow my quote thing disappeared when I posted >.>, but it was regarding Aysun's comment. "Great. Thanks for clarifying that. Because it's totally okay to offend people on Balmung by bending over backwards to be neutral, after it was stated to all of us that when we decided that we'd support a secondary server that it would be called that, for the sake of our community."

So... what happens when everyone is the same level and all doing the same content and Legacy and Non-Legacy are no longer a thing, what do we call Gilgamesh then? The other server, server 2?

I think that's where the differing terminology comes in.

A slight alteration would make it.. Well, what the message up top says now. Just.. Balmung and Gilgamesh. Two options.

At that point, there would be no difference between the two so whoever's deciding would basically have nothing to hinder them from going to one or the other. 

I think, then, the only way would be to flip a coin, randomly pick one, make a toon on both servers and try them out, or base it off something like.. "Well, this servers newer so I'll go there." Or "That servers older, I'll go there."

Either way. Doesn't matter, any differences would be null and void. As it stands though, the message up top does look good. Yay, go message!

So... what happens when everyone is the same level and all doing the same content and Legacy and Non-Legacy are no longer a thing, what do we call Gilgamesh then? The other server, server 2?

I think we should cross that road when we come to it. We can't predict what will happen months from now. It's not really helping us to try and figure it out now either.

Let's just get this game started, have fun, and see where things go.

You tell people what it was, then explain that it's now just an alternative to Balmung. Then you tell them to try both, and see which they like best.

Not as difficult as it sounds. I promise.

You tell people what it was, then explain that it's now just an alternative to Balmung. Then you tell them to try both, and see which they like best.

Not as difficult as it sounds. I promise.

Perhaps none of this will be relevant once server transfers open up anyway. We may even see a consolidation of the RP community in the end! Who knows!

In any case, i believe this thread has run its course. If those in charge wish to change the message to make the difference between the servers clear, inform the misinformed that new characters can be made on Balmung, and point people to a dedicated thread for related questions, great! If not, well… I tried!

Thanks for the show of support, everyone!

We call it Gilgamesh, my good fellow.  =P

Snark aside, what I mean by this is that on that day, assuming the Gilgamesh community thrives, it will be the source of its own distinguishing features, whatever those may be.

I think the stance the mods are taking on this one is extremely tactful.  It ensures we're the ones who are obligated to sort this out, (or not).  New players will view how this two-headed (and one-bodied) ettin of a community interacts, and they'll choose their server on this basis.  That's as pure an informed decision as anyone's going to get.

Edit: Well, so much for that. Oh well. No sense sweating the small stuff.

I think there's been an issue of lack of communication from the Mods side, here.

It's been a little over a month since the whole neutral stance began, but unless I missed some major post there was never any Higher-up notice stating that the servers were going to have their primary/secondary status removed. 

I think that, if this had come up vocally from the leadership, this issue might have died down by now if it had been there for people to read, see, and reference for whenever this topic came up.

Please keep us in the loop for things that are of importance involving the community as and when they occur. D:

First, I approve of the change.

Second, please stop this. Balmung players, take a look at yourself. Some (not all) of you are getting quite nasty and venomous...then wonder why the Gilgamesh players don't want to play with you? There are two servers, one legacy, one non. No matter how justified either side feels, being nasty or bitter doesn't help. I know players on Balmung and Gilgamesh that are embarrased and disgusted by the infighting.

This isn't helping the RPC. And both sides are responsible. For our sake, Balmung and Gilgamesh players alike...can we please stop this?

I think there's been an issue of lack of communication from the Mods side, here.

It's been a little over a month since the whole neutral stance began, but unless I missed some major post there was never any Higher-up notice stating that the servers were going to have their primary/secondary status removed. 

I think that, if this had come up vocally from the leadership, this issue might have died down by now if it had been there for people to read, see, and reference for whenever this topic came up.

Please keep us in the loop for things that are of importance involving the community as and when they occur. D:

A lot of the moderators have chimed in on the various topics. Kylin hopped in on the other topic as well. People tend to railroad over those posts when they're made, because they're not controversial.

I vocally made a welcome post explaining the two servers, in a neutral standpoint. It's still a sticky if I remember correctly. I showed it to the admin team before it was posted, and even then, people still didn't listen to it.

We do what we can, but again, there are only so many things that we can do. A lot of us can't sit on here all day and keep the forums clean. If people would step back and not post while their heads are hot, I think a lot of this stuff would die down. *shrug*