Online Tabletop

So, this conversation came up in Skype while I was asleep. For which I am kicking myself that I missed it. :( Anyway. The discussion of maybe wanting to possibly consider putting together an online tabletop game. So, I wanted to throw this out there:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/

I've used it. It's pretty cool. In fact, I should still have my campaign ready to go for that if anyone wants me to run. The only problem is that it does cost money. It's $24 for the lite license (players only) and $40 for the full license (DMs and players). I already have the full license for myself and 2 lite licenses for players, but we'd probably want more.

There's also this: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg

OpenRPG has it's advantages and disadvantages over Fantasy Grounds. It doesn't have as many features. And sometimes it can be glitchy to make work. But it's free. And it's less work to set up by the GM.

Lastly there's this: http://www.d20source.com/2012/05/tabletop-forge-a-new-google-gaming-app

We had a few issues with Tabletop Forge the last time we used it, but then we were having issues with all the programs. I think we decided this one was the best for our purposes and it was a long time ago, so I bet they added some cool functionality since then. The advantage to this is that most of us have used google hangout before and it's free. I'd probably suggest this over ORPG because it has more functionality, but then I haven't played ORPG in years (and I mean... about 10 years), so it's possible ORPG has put its big boy pants on since then.

I've used all three, and would be willing to run a little D&D game on either (3.5 or 4.0). Or I could help someone else get it set up if they want to run. Then, of course, we'd add mumble or something like that. So, what do you guys say? Anyone interested?

Update!

It looks like TableTop forge has disappeared. But there is this:

http://roll20.net/

I'll do some more research on this program, but the first word I saw was "free", so there is that! LOL

I've always wanted to try Pen and Paper gaming and role playing. Every time I've joined a group to play it, the group fell apart before anything happened. So if you are willing to have a complete stranger who has little experience in it to join you, then I'm all for it.

I'd be interested in joining, Pen and Paper RP is my gaming roots and I haven't been part of one for ages.  Would prefer 3.5 to 4 but thats personal preference and have played both.  It would be goot to get a group going as well, trying different settings and games as a campaign comes to a close :D

I've played both and though I prefer 3.5, I've found that 4th is sometimes less complex when you add in the complexity of playing online anyway, and often teaching people how to play the game without being there to sit with them. That said, I would probably suggest DnDNext over 4th, and in this case, I'll probably offer to play 3.5 over either of the other two because I know it so well that prep time would be much less.

However! If anyone else is offering run something else, like a SWSaga game or something, I would totally jump on board that ship.

Rolld20 is (as I mentioned) something we use in our gaming group currently. It's pretty awesome and some of the maps my friends have put together are really amazing. That and some custom character tokens.

I can't commit to a game right now but once things with the move are settled I can definitely join or maybe run something.

I ran a campaign for a good long while with RPTools, specifically MapTool.  It's free, works pretty well, has a lot of built in functions, and isn't too taxing on systems.  Setup can be a little frustrating but there are a metric tonne of tutorials on youtube and other avenues to help you out.  It's fantastic for D&D as they have modules for all the different versions.  Let me know if you have any questions about it and I'll help out if I can.  Best of luck to you!

Alright, so here's the plan. I'll be prepared to run a D&D 3.5 game tonight starting at 6PM CDT. If it goes well, we'll see about doing another one.

If you are interested, I only ask that you join us in Skype (see here!) It'll be a lot easier for us to communicate that way.

We will be using the 3.5 SRD. If it's not in the SRD it's not available for tonight. If you don't know how to play, that's okay! Get on skype, let me know and Ill make up a character for you to try out tonight.

Any other questions - friend me on skype and ask!

I've used Maptool (linked above with RPTools) and roll20.net myself, though Im doing more in-person tabletop these days so I put the whole online tabletop thing aside for the most part.

Except I still play some Vassal for those tabletop miniature games like Warmachine.