TCGs

So recently me and a couple of my friends got into the whole Trading Card Game scene. There's a nearby card shop that sells a bunch of cards and has a very friendly community and even hosts tournaments. We decided to get into the WoW TCG cause it's relatively new, and very very interesting. So far we all love it and seem to be getting into it hardcore. I'm participating in my first local tournament this thursday. Already had some of the pro's at the shop help me construct my deck and even special ordered some singles that I needed for my deck specifically.

That being said, does anyone here play any TCGs? I know they are a bit nerdy and can sometimes get a bit expensive, but they are so fun to play. So many possibilites with different decks, and it's always so fun to collect all the different cards cause of the art on them.

My friends and I play Magic once a week and then we have theme tournaments. I came in second in our Ice Age block 2 weeks ago and I'm hoping I do well in the Mirage block coming up. I have a blue and white levelers, blue and green landfall, red and green allies, phyrexia vs. coalition decks, and some random ones like ice age and mirage floating around. The main decks I'm working on at the moment are based on my Final Fantasy Dungeons and Dragons characters: Seraphine: angels/knights/solider pure white deck. Amelia: vampires pure black deck.

However, I've played Lord of the Rings, .Hack, Yugi-oh, and Pokemon in the past. I'd play WoW but I just don't have the time and I'm mad they made it so you don't get the mounts/pets/etc 100% if you get the card. RMTs ruin everything :cry:

I play Yu Gi Oh! and magic the gathering, havent built a standard MTG deck in ages though, the small group I go to every thursday exclusively plays Elder Dragon Highlander.

General-wise I play:

Mayael the Anima (Red, White, Green Super Fatties)

Oros the Avenger (Red White Black Knights, new M11 knight is awesome :D)

Sliver Overlord (5 Colour sliver madness lol)

Ya know, I think I'm gonna have to find some people to play magic with sometime. I haven't played in nine years and half my cards are currently spread throughout my library as bookmarks. I kinda wish there were an online version.

Ya know' date=' I think I'm gonna have to find some people to play magic with sometime. I haven't played in nine years and half my cards are currently spread throughout my library as bookmarks. I kinda wish there were an online version.[/quote']

There is but it can be as expensive as the real life version...

http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/magiconline.aspx

However for something a bit more... well... free :P Google Magic Workstation, I tend to use that :P

I tried playing the WoW tcg for a time, and though I enjoyed it while it lasted, I couldn't really get into it. It doesn't seem to take itself very seriously.

Meanwhile, I still play Magic to this day. Lorwyn's my favorite expansion by far; I feel like the setting was brought out really well by the flavor of the cards-- something I feel zendikar's allies mechanic totally failed to do, on a side note. x_x

I mostly play blue/green, which seems to be pretty popular! This is my deck list, which I'm pretty proud of:

Lands: 9 Forest, 8 Island, 4 Misty Rainforest, 2 Reliquary Tower

Creatures: 4 Noble Hierarch, 4 Shorecrasher Mimic, 4 Cold-Eyed Selkie, 4 Murkfiend Liege, 3 Lorescale Coatl, 3 Trygon Predator, 2 Simic Guildmage, 2 Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Enchantments: 3 Favor of the Overbeing, 3 Shielding Plax

Instants: 4 Arcane Denial (replaced instead by Dream Fracture on the rare occasion I'm playing in an extended tournament), 1 Invert the Skies

... for a grand total of 60 cards! It's a lot of fun, and works pretty well for me. I've got a lot of friends who are also really into Magic, which makes it all that much more fun.

Meanwhile, I've got three works in progress drawn up in a neat little program called LackeyCCG: a scarecrow deck (my favorite creature type), a blue/green EDH style deck using Momir Vig as the general, and a green/black deck that revolves around getting my persistent creatures killed to queue their "enters the battlefield" effects in addition to triggering abilities from enchantments such as Grave Pact and Golgari Germination. They're all pretty fun to play so far, though they each have some issues... the green/black deck, for instance, is pretty top heavy, and in spite of abundant acceleration creatures, it tends to pick up pretty slowly...

But yeah, as far as online magic goes, I know it's not quite the same, but if you'd like to acquaint yourself with LackeyCCG, it's a really neat system that allows for up to 10 people to play in one game at a time. Just hit me up in a PM or in IRC and I'd be happy to play!

I mean for magic. Same style and rules. Moogles were white creatures. I also tried to keep my cards balanced.

...except for the tonberry...

I made it. I didn't use it.

That's dumb. I mean...really.

My Tonberry wasn't that powerful.

I had this card which I thought was stupidly overpowered as it was.

91.jpg

Legends was the last expansion to the game released while I was still playing. Ice Age (I think that's what it was called) came out about a year after I quit playing.

Magic's gone to many exciting new places since then, but yeah, I don't really care much for the Zendikar expansion... The "living world" aspect was pretty well portrayed by the cards, but the ally effects not only seemed arbitrary, but they weren't the sort of thing you could just fit into an existing deck like other expansions; just from the way it worked, if you wanted to use it in a deck, you were pretty much forced to center that deck around the ally mechanic. Finally, the eldrazi... As big a fan as I am of the whole "cthulhian horrors from beyond reality" deal... I dunno, I feel they turned out just being annoying. Though, my best friend uses Eldrazi Monument in his Goblin deck which works pretty well, so I suppose some good has come of it? Haha...

Man, I'm wrapping my mind around a FF-themed Magic homebrew now... I already have so many ideas x_x

Those superhero cards are really well done, too! Kudos, Renaise :D

In my opinion, Magic the Gathering is probably the best TCG you can get into. It's very flexible, has a HUGE library, and it has staying power at nearly 20 years and going. I play Magic every week, and would probably compete in the pro tour qualifiers and national qualifiers if I had a decent amount of standard cards. Unfortunately, I have mostly older cards so... I just stick to the kitchen table, and FNM drafting.

For the record, my favorite sets are Odyssey and Tempest. None of the new stuff could even come close to how awesome they were. If any of you that play Magic are in the Central Jersey area and are looking for a group, let me know. I try to hold tournaments with different themes and I give away cards as prizes to people that win.

I put together a set of cards based on the characters in my D&D campaign once, but I wasn't satisfied with the balance issues, so I never revisited it or tried to improve it.

As a matter of fact, I made a rather big deal of

cards.

A dualist pack, to be precice, a pack of cards ready to play for two players, featuring things and characters of the game series Project Zero (or Fatal Frame to the US).. someone ever played that? Then I would upload the cards for you to check out and rate. (Im a sucker for feedback, ya' know..)

MTG for the win. My cards are collecting dust right now. Only ever knew two people who played it so I didn't get to have as much fun with it as I would have liked.

My secret fantasy is a MTG MMORPG. And by that, I mean an actual world based on the actual lore of the Magic universe. I've read most of the books and love the story to death.

As a matter of fact, I made a rather big deal of

cards.

A dualist pack, to be precice, a pack of cards ready to play for two players, featuring things and characters of the game series Project Zero (or Fatal Frame to the US).. someone ever played that? Then I would upload the cards for you to check out and rate. (Im a sucker for feedback, ya' know..)

I really enjoyed the Project Zero games :D

I don't really care much for the Zendikar expansion... The "living world" aspect was pretty well portrayed by the cards, but the ally effects not only seemed arbitrary, but they weren't the sort of thing you could just fit into an existing deck like other expansions; just from the way it worked, if you wanted to use it in a deck, you were pretty much forced to center that deck around the ally mechanic.

I'm probably going to get murdered for this, but I hate older cards. I actually loved Zendikar and I have a red and green allies deck :lol: It was my very first deck so I didn't have any other cards to worry about try to fit into the deck though. Of course, all my decks are standard legal except my block specific decks I use for tournaments with my friends. I could see that being a bit of a pain for people who have been collecting a while but to me there is nothing like laying a bunch of 1/1's in a multi-player game, getting ignored by everyone, then putting something in that buffs all those 1/1's to 16/16's and using overrun. They never see it coming :)

I've read most of the books and love the story to death.

I only think it's fair to warn anyone and everyone against Odyssey by Vance Moore http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Cycle-Book-I/dp/0786919000. This was a horrible, horrible book and it makes me want to cry every time I think of it. It's battle after endless battle and it takes these wonderful characters and ruins them. If you ever want to lose the will to live and die horribly then go ahead and pick it up. However, the other ones look awesome! I haven't read Wrath and Storm yet but it looks so good!