How do you feel about crafting?

Chance

Anyone else getting this strange sense of accomplishment when crafting? I don't know why, but I am so liking the way they set up crafting in this game, must be the fact that I totally can see my character ICly being hard at work as an Armorer. Just wanted to know if you all had a similar experience. :D

I enjoy the crafting and gathering right now. They were both painfully slow in 1.0, but they've since been streamlined and it's a much better experience.

Downside is that I don't think crafters will be as economically relevant (with the exception of materia) due to dungeon drops and such, but that's the price of accessibility.

Now if only they had an easier way of transferring crafted items between characters on the same account. My full time crafter is having a helluva time trying to get goods to my adventuring character.

I enjoy the crafting and gathering right now. They were both painfully slow in 1.0, but they've since been streamlined and it's a much better experience.

Downside is that I don't think crafters will be as economically relevant (with the exception of materia) due to dungeon drops and such, but that's the price of accessibility.

Now if only they had an easier way of transferring crafted items between characters on the same account. My full time crafter is having a helluva time trying to get goods to my adventuring character.

I think this is the way in ALL MMOs.

I have a 95 armorer in EQ2.  Top line know all the recipies.  And don't make anything but a handful of items to get people past their crafting epic, because everything else is trash compared to loot drops in dungeons and quests.

Crafting is alright... but I have a near Pavlovian response to fishing >.<

I think I'll get back into crafting more once the game is fully out. I'm just in 'explore things' mode and sitting in a room crafting isn't fulfilling it. Wandering the world looking for places to sink my lure on the other hand...

I too, have been enjoying crafting, I haven't made as much progress in it as I did in the previous phase, but that's because I'm dabbling into several crafts instead of just one and looking for that one special craft that I like above the others.

Crafting is alright... but I have a near Pavlovian response to fishing >.<

I think I'll get back into crafting more once the game is fully out. I'm just in 'explore things' mode and sitting in a room crafting isn't fulfilling it. Wandering the world looking for places to sink my lure on the other hand...

Now about fishing, I will say the most fun I have with fishing is roaming to high level areas and gorgeous vistas and seeing what new fish I might catch. The actual process of fishing I could care less about, I just like getting to some new area, seeing water, and immediately thinking "Wonder what I'll catch?!" as I cast my lure.

Depending on whether it's another anchovy or an actual new fish will determine whether my mood stays chipper or not. xD

I'm in love with crafting here. I love the little.. Mini-game-esque thing with it, and the fact that it almost seems to take some sort of player skill to craft HQ items.. Making sure you're using the right abilities at the right times, and so on.

With that in mind, I miss one aspect of crafting from 1.0. It was so much more.. in depth. In 2.0, you want to make a chestpeice, all you do is getsome leather, some thread, some other X materials and you craft it.

In 1.0, you ahd to craft the shoulderpads, the front and back, and various other peices of the chest peice. THEN you crafted the chestpeice. I liked that aspect. 

There's also a few things I want, because they're frustrating.

I want a sort option for my inventory so I can sort my crafting materials by profession type, and sort all of the armor out of it easily. I also want to be able to sort armor in my bags by level. And I want the comparison of an item in your bags to what you're wearing to actually compare stats that matter, not just the defense/magic defense.

I also want a sort option for the crafting screen. I want to be able to say "Show me all my leatherworking bracelets." Or "I need a new pair of leggings, what patterns do I have.."

Little things, but little things that would be SO much more streamlined. ^.^

I enjoyed what little I saw of it during the beta. The gathering system in particular felt very refreshing. There's something strangely satisfying about having my character gather sap, logs, branches and even insects from trees! It's something I'll likely include in my role-play for added immersion and realism.

I don't know what it is about this game but there's something addictive about the crafting/gathering systems.

I know that gathering is largely the same as it is in most MMOs; look for node, reach node, click node, get item, rinse and repeat. Maybe it's the inclusion of those small areas that contain only a specific item that are out of the way, or maybe it's the fact that people aren't competing for the nodes in the first place that does it. I'm not sure what it is, but man, I had this strange urge to collect 99 (or more!) of every item I came across. Malachite? Must have a full stack of it. White scorpions? Must. Have. 99.

And crafting! Holy crow! I love, love, love what they did to it. It feels like this great little minigame compared to 1.0, or even other MMOs that just feels much more active. I can't wait to craft my monk a set of endgame armor and spend countless attempts melding materia onto everything.

I enjoyed what little I saw of it during the beta. The gathering system in particular felt very refreshing. There's something strangely satisfying about having my character gather sap, logs, branches and even insects from trees! It's something I'll likely include in my role-play for added immersion and realism.

Agreed, there was something satisfying about hearing an axe *Thwack* against a tree on a successful strike!

The mechanics of obtaining quality via that little blue bar of joy is what has me hooked. As I mentioned to some of my fellow LS members once I got Rumination from 15 Carpenter, it changed the dynamic considerably.

Rumination

"Removes Inner Quiet effect and restores CP proportional to the number of times control was increased."

If you have inner quiet on and get that random "Excellent" condition using Basic Touch you can go from 1% quality to 70+ without using HQ mats. It's a very valuable cross class skill IMHO.

The system makes you wonder which cross class skills can really optimize your quality and keep you yearning for better combos.

EDIT: At times I found myself spamming "Observe" too much. "Excellent" condition is indeed a low %.

Agreed, there was something satisfying about hearing an axe *Thwack* against a tree on a successful strike!

I liked how they even changed the sound effect when obtaining a high quality item. :evil: That person next to me on same node getting 4 consecutive high qualities. GRR perception!

I never care about such matters in other games, but this one sounded fun and I decided to give it a try. I tried both botanist and weaver, and I loved them. I'm eager to waste whole afternoons just walking around the forest to gather ingredients, it was oddly relaxing.

This game makes me want to live it!

I, too, hear that Pavlov fishery. I hit level 20 Fishing during P4. Slightly embarrassed. But every time I got a new kind of lure, I had to go find the new fish! I HAD TO.

Crafting's a bit the same. I love filling out the log and then trying to get HQs out of useful things. But the sound effects for armorsmithing/blacksmithing (whichever it is that uses the file) are like nails on a chalkboard and make me cry. The sound effects for alchemy and cooking make me happy-calm.

I love crafting so much, but more than anything I love -cooking- in games. I was sorely disappointed with the last several MMOs I've played where there was no cooking skill. When I was told that cooking was a big thing in FF14 that kinda sold it for me.

Also I am a fan of alchemy as well. Cause I have a weird obsession with little bottles.

I personally enjoy the crafting in FFXIV ARR. I recall doing a few DoH classes in 1.0 and it was kind of painful, what with the "parts" system being unbalanced with the parts needed to make most armors and weapons requiring a higher level skill than the actual item.

In FFXIV ARR they seemed to have done away with that which I enjoy. I also like the addition of Crafting Points and the fact that when I make something really nice I feel like it was actual skill that created it, not some random number generator.

The bonus experience that is granted for crafting higher quality items is also a really nice touch, making the hundreds of bronze ingots I craft still actually worth something because I can boost their quality so high and get nearly triple experience.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who gets the whole feeling of triumph when clearing a section of the crafting log. I'm not a full time crafter main or anything, but the sound of the hammering and other noises around the forge makes me feel like I have stepped into my character's shoes and am currently living his life.

To be honest this game is the closest I have felt to virtual reality, and because of that I have a much easier time roleplaying my character. Now if only I could control what my character did during main scenario cut scenes :P.

I usually hate crafting & gathering in MMOs. I've found gathering in ARR to be an addictive distraction, though crafting I'm still on the fence about.

I don't mind the system itself, and I really like the animations. It just irks me that I seem to need to know several other crafts in order to advance the one that I want.

That said, I didn't dabble all that much into it, so I'll probably give it another look someone once the servers are up again.