An Intro, and Some Questions

Jana

Hello! I am Jana, a fairly experienced RPer, and I'm interested at looking into the roleplay scene in ARR. I have a few questions though.

Is there any place to look at lore regarding the cultures of the different races? I'm making my RP character a female Moon Keeper Miqo'te, and other than naming conventions and "nocturnal," I haven't found much about what kind of background I could expect the character to have grown up in.

On a similar note, are there places to read about the events that shaped 1.0 and ARR? As someone who never played the original version of FFXIV, the timelines I've seen aren't very informative, and I don't feel like I know enough about the setting and history to make much sense of it.

A minor quibble, but... Is it hard to get around the world? I haven't had much time in-game for various reasons, and while I understand that there are teleport crystals and chocobo rentals, these seem to only work after visiting a place on foot. Is it possible to go between the major/starting cities without crossing a lot of high-level areas on foot?

That's all for now, but chances are I will think of more. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers these!

Welcome~! To sink right into it, RPC has it's own Wiki page which has a bounty of lore, as well as the ability to create your own 'character biography' so to speak. Making a wiki page specifically for your character that you can toss at people in game, or shove in your Signature.

There's a button right up on the hotbar which will send you to it, but for lazy man purposes, click ~Here!~

As for timeline wise, this link is a rather popular source, but it might not provide the depth you're looking for. ~Here!~

For some nice, detailed goodness, I'd turn to these forums, not only are there  multiple threads on certain concerns but there's also bulk lore threads, such as the Role-Play Handbook by Eva: ~Here!~

Hope these help!

Edit: I totally forgot about the last question. AHEM, yes it's rather easy. The Main 3 City States are connected via Airships. It costs 200 gil for a 1 way ticket to any city, from any city. But this feature is only unlocked after a certain point in the 'main' storyline. Around level 15.

Hello! I am Jana, a fairly experienced RPer, and I'm interested at looking into the roleplay scene in ARR. I have a few questions though.

Is there any place to look at lore regarding the cultures of the different races? I'm making my RP character a female Moon Keeper Miqo'te, and other than naming conventions and "nocturnal," I haven't found much about what kind of background I could expect the character to have grown up in.

On a similar note, are there places to read about the events that shaped 1.0 and ARR? As someone who never played the original version of FFXIV, the timelines I've seen aren't very informative, and I don't feel like I know enough about the setting and history to make much sense of it.

A minor quibble, but... Is it hard to get around the world? I haven't had much time in-game for various reasons, and while I understand that there are teleport crystals and chocobo rentals, these seem to only work after visiting a place on foot. Is it possible to go between the major/starting cities without crossing a lot of high-level areas on foot?

That's all for now, but chances are I will think of more. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers these!

RPC Lore 101 wiki

1.0 story click here

in general the RPC wiki has alot of useful info.

Also, it is quite easy to get around the world, at least as far as I have see.

Welcome to the RPC hope to see you around!

I can answer a few of those questions! I'll start with the getting around part first, as you mentioned you can teleport after you've gone and attuned with a crystal in the area and that would be the fasted way to get there. The lvl 15 main story quest also rewards you with an airship pass so travel between the 3 major cities after that is pretty darn fast! After that you have your own two legs and at around lvl 25 you'll get your own personal chocobo that you can call to your side pretty much anywhere! So most of your travelling will still be done on foot or on your mount but the zones are beautiful to look at and don't take a huge amount of time to get around once you've got your chocobo.

Not a whole lot on the lore portion really and most of what I've seen get RPed is a mix of the little lore we do know about the races along with player choices that seem to be accepted. A few things I do know about the Keepers of the Moon lore is that they are a matriarchal people and tend to keep to themselves, especially the males. (Might be mixing that part up with the Seekers though so don't quote me on it. :P ) They also live in small family units instead of the large tribes that the Seekers are from.

As for the events of 1.0 I think there is a thread on here somewhere with a write up of what happened AND most if not all of the main story cut scenes from 1.0.

Hope this helps and welcome to the RPC!

Seems like you're in good hands. I've made a special study of Eorzea's history, so let me point you at a good place to start:

In the 5th Umbral Era, known as the Age of Endless Frost, the Miqo'te, presumably driven by hunger, pursued wandering prey across frozen oceans so far that this led to their discovery and subsequent colonization of Eorzea. This all happened anywhere from 3077 to 5077 years ago - ancient history, really, and notably after the fall of the Allaghan empire, and presumably after the Hyur-Elezen wars had settled down.

Odds are your character grew up in Eorzea - of any potential homelands for the Miqo'te, little is known with certainty. If you wish to work them into your story, I recommend writing them with an air of mystery, to avoid having to retcon when SE finally pushes out some hard details.

Welcome to the RPC! If you need anything else, just ask myself or any of these other nice folks.