And so I joined...

Hello everyone.

I finally got the game for PS3 just yesterday and after I had installed it and created an account I tried out a few classes on different worlds to get a feeling of the game. I finally decided on making a male Miqo'te Arcanist, because I love summons and magic classes, but before making it I wanted to see if there were any RP dedicated worlds. And that is how I found this site!

However, the two worlds, Balmung and Gilgamesh, are both filled up, so I wait until the worlds get expanded so I can join. A bit frustrating not to be able to play the game I just bought, but I hope the patience will be worth it. ^^

I have played MMO's since World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade and did alot of RP on there, however, I stopped playing WoW a couple of years ago. Since then I've been searching for a good replacement. I've played TERA, Guild Wars 2, Warhammer Online, Rift, Aion and many others, but none of them had any well-established RP.

I've looked forward to this game and I hope to find some good RP on here, once I am able to join a world, that is. ;-)

A bit about me and my characters. I am from Denmark, but since none of the EU worlds are dedicated to RP, I don't mind joining an NA world. I am a homosexual man and it reflects on my characters - it doesn't define me or my characters, but it is part of who I am and my characters, so I hope to join people in RP who are open-minded and acceptive of that. I have alot of experience at any sort of RP, but I prefer the more social RP over military RP which seems to be the two dominating types of RP in various MMO's. 

A few questions:

Which world is best suited for a newbie like me? Balmung or Gilgamesh?

Can I connect my keyboard/mouse to my PS3 and use it for chat, and maybe even replacing the controller all-together?

Any good guilds out there with good RP and who are willing to help me with questing/levelling?

I hope to see you guys online soon. :-)

No one wants to reply my thread. *weeps*

Anyways, an update. I have two characters on the Moogle world, because honestly, it was the only world I could get into. Well, sometimes. These server problems will hopefully soon be fixed, but it's like this with all new MMO's. Oh, and I found out how to use my mouse and keyboard. :-)

But if anyone is on Moogle as well and want to RP or quest together, look me up. ^^

My two characters are Kai'to Akatora,  a male Miqo'te Arcanist who isn't even level 10 yet, and Asheraux Sanguinaire, a male Elezen Lancer whom I have yet to actually play as.

Hello and welcome to the forums! It's nice to meet you. I'm curious to know how FF14 is on the PS3! My PS3 is slowly dying... so I bought it for the PC, ha ha.

I hope you can get on Balmung or Gilgamesh soon! Everyone is crossing their fingers in regards to the server maintenance they'll be doing within a day or so... good luck!

I played TERA, GW2, RIFT, and Aion too! Most of my RP was in RIFT,  but the community has become a little toxic there, ha ha. I enjoy faction tension too, so I was a little sad when the expansion came out and the Guardians and Defiants were no longer snapping at each other. It's still a fun game, but I've found a lot of nice RP in FF14 so far.

As for which servers you should join, I think you will be fine in either. On Balmung, there will be a lot more veteran players. Since they were at the defining battle of the Calamity, or around for a lot of the story leading up to it, you'll run into more experienced people. This is nice for me, since my character is somewhat of a novice, and I'm hoping to find a mentor figure. On Gilgamesh, everyone is new (unless veterans transfer), and you can have a bigger part in establishing yourself there. You won't be behind anyone, since everyone is starting fresh on that server. Where you want to go is a personal preference.

I wish I could tell you about the keyboard/mouse, but I don't know. Sorry!

If you end up on Balmung, I'll be happy to quest and RP with you sometime. =^^=

A few questions:

Which world is best suited for a newbie like me? Balmung or Gilgamesh?

Can I connect my keyboard/mouse to my PS3 and use it for chat, and maybe even replacing the controller all-together?

Any good guilds out there with good RP and who are willing to help me with questing/levelling?

I hope to see you guys online soon. :-)

I didn't notice this thread before now :c

You can definitely use the keyboard for the Ps3 and the keyboard hotkeys work fine, but I don't believe it replaces your UI altogether - I haven't found that option yet, though I find it much easier to play using the PS3 controller and would be glad to answer any questions you have should you find yourself a bit lost with the controls there! I'm still learning them, myself, but maybe I'm just a bit slow. xD

Guild-wise I can't say much since I'm not in one yet, however while I'm a little biased towards Balmung i'd suggest hitting up that server when it's open as there is already an EU community - I'm not sure what Gilgamesh is like for EU players right now so if anyone can shout at me about that it'd be good. c:

Regardless, feel free to poke me ingame when you do manage to make a new character - Hopefully the servers will open up soon!

Hello and welcome to the forums! It's nice to meet you. I'm curious to know how FF14 is on the PS3! My PS3 is slowly dying... so I bought it for the PC, ha ha.

I hope you can get on Balmung or Gilgamesh soon! Everyone is crossing their fingers in regards to the server maintenance they'll be doing within a day or so... good luck!

I played TERA, GW2, RIFT, and Aion too! Most of my RP was in RIFT,  but the community has become a little toxic there, ha ha. I enjoy faction tension too, so I was a little sad when the expansion came out and the Guardians and Defiants were no longer snapping at each other. It's still a fun game, but I've found a lot of nice RP in FF14 so far.

As for which servers you should join, I think you will be fine in either. On Balmung, there will be a lot more veteran players. Since they were at the defining battle of the Calamity, or around for a lot of the story leading up to it, you'll run into more experienced people. This is nice for me, since my character is somewhat of a novice, and I'm hoping to find a mentor figure. On Gilgamesh, everyone is new (unless veterans transfer), and you can have a bigger part in establishing yourself there. You won't be behind anyone, since everyone is starting fresh on that server. Where you want to go is a personal preference.

I wish I could tell you about the keyboard/mouse, but I don't know. Sorry!

If you end up on Balmung, I'll be happy to quest and RP with you sometime. =^^=

Yay, someone replied! :-D

Thanks for the warm greetings. ^^

Edit: And more replies! Thanks all. ^^

Welcome! And I completely feel for you with the server difficulties.

Personally I am a huge fan of Gilgamesh (and I may just be biased). Coming into FFXIV I was a newbie, completely fresh to the game. While Balmug has some great veteran players to interact with, Gilgamesh is special because we are building a community from the ground up. The RP here has been great and the overall friendliness has been the best I've seen in any MMO. If you do decide of Golgamesh or if you just have any questions about our server let me know! I'm not going to beat around the bush. We want you here on our server and about of our family. :)

Welcome! And I completely feel for you with the server difficulties.

Personally I am a huge fan of Gilgamesh (and I may just be biased). Coming into FFXIV I was a newbie, completely fresh to the game. While Balmug has some great veteran players to interact with, Gilgamesh is special because we are building a community from the ground up. The RP here has been great and the overall friendliness has been the best I've seen in any MMO. If you do decide of Golgamesh or if you just have any questions about our server let me know! I'm not going to beat around the bush. We want you here on our server and about of our family. :)

You're all so sweet. ^^

I am new to the Final Fantasy world as well, and i'm probably going to join Gilgamesh simply because its an unestablished group of people and I highly enjoy this type of setting! Rai will enjoy making a name for himself here, and I hope to be able to access this server soon! I was very disappointed when I bought the game and couldn't get onto the server I wanted. Right now I can't even access the NA servers! D:

Welcome to the RPC!

Don't worry about sever space in the long term, in less than 24 hours they're all going down to try to add more room. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon so everyone can play where they'd like to play, instead of where they can play. As far as which to choose, it's all pretty much the same stuff going on and comes down to whether or not you want to play with Legacy characters or not. Either way, fun times will be had!

Hope to see you around in game at some point. :D

Definitely! And I was starting to think I wasted $30 on this game...haha, but i'll give it a bit longer before I decide. Hoping they don't bust again on this one...I started playing on a regular server and I like the game mechanics. Hopefully i'll also be able to get a new comp because its so laggy for me even though i'm running a 24mbps connection.