It's a sad day for animation.

Orlog

A lot of his newer works have been done in collaboration with other writers, producers, and studios. As great of a visionary as he is, I think it's best to not look at it as a loss of one of the greatest, but a chance for a new generation of talented anime movie producers to step up and fill the void Miyazaki will leave behind. It's not a guarantee of course, but I have hope.

A lot of his newer works have been done in collaboration with other writers, producers, and studios. As great of a visionary as he is, I think it's best to not look at it as a loss of one of the greatest, but a chance for a new generation of talented anime movie producers to step up and fill the void Miyazaki will leave behind. It's not a guarantee of course, but I have hope.

Yeah, agreed. It's more the symbol of what he's done, how his work has effected other people... I dunno. Maybe I'm too emotional about my arts. But, here's hoping for a continued good run with animators!

Thank God!!!! I thought it was going to say he had died ;__;

Retiring I can handle. He has been talking about it for years. Mononke-hime was actually supposed to be his last one, but he kept being lulled back (which I am eternally grateful for, giving that Spirited Away is, imo, one of the best films of all time)

After the contributions and dedication he has made to storytelling and to the arts, he deserves some time to rest and reflect at the end of his career, and I wish him all the best. He has had such a profound impact on my own approach to storytelling <3

No, no please God, please... Oh! thanks the Twelves it's not about Miyazaki-san having terminal illness or something, I love him and his masterpiece(s) too much! :cry:

Oh and Ghibli's latest Kaze Tachinu, have you guys take a glimpse of its soundtracks yet? I swear I'm almost stunned when I heard the Hikoukigumo (lit. Contrails) playing, it's one of my favorite old song I first heard many years ago when sung by Aya Matsuura (check it out on Youtube! Oh and she's such a sweet girl).

There's something about the song that makes you feel a little sad even if you don't speak Japanese, haha! :D

Yeah, Miyazaki collaborated in a lot of his movies, but he had creative control over the entire process. In any case, he has placed a very high bar for Ghibli's future with him stepping out the picture.

That said, I can't think of anyone more deserving of a nice retirement.

I don't really know the guy, or his work, but I've seen Mononoke, and it was good enough to be shown on Quebec television, which is friggin rare for anime movies. Only two I can think of before that were Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus (also awesome movies).

Mononoke definitely marked me and defined how much more than silly villain-of-the-week types anime could really be.

Between this and Wolf's Rain, I can only shake my head smiling at the ignorance of people who think anime is limited to Naruto and Dragon Ball styles.

Retiring I can handle. He has been talking about it for years. Mononke-hime was actually supposed to be his last one, but he kept being lulled back (which I am eternally grateful for, giving that Spirited Away is, imo, one of the best films of all time)

After the contributions and dedication he has made to storytelling and to the arts, he deserves some time to rest and reflect at the end of his career, and I wish him all the best. He has had such a profound impact on my own approach to storytelling <3

I agree with you there. We should be thankful he hasn't past away yet...

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who panicked from almost thinking Hayao Miyazaki died :(. Still very sad to hear to he's retiring. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are in my top 10 list of animations as well as the best movie soundtracks ever. Future animators should definitely look to his work for inspiration.

It breaks my heart but it is certainly well deserved. I grew up with Totoro in particular and it will always hold an extra special place in my heart. Easily one of the greatest living storytellers we have and I feel blessed to be in the same world as him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/movies/hayao-miyazaki-japanese-animator-said-to-be-retiring.html?_r=0

Has anyone else heard this? I'm so sad. I know it's not JUST Miyazaki that goes into the animation master pieces we love, but... damn. He's been such a huge influence and motivation to me growing up. I'm really bummed to think we won't get to see much of his work anymore.

:cry:

bad Bea, Bad! do not give me ideas that Miyazaki died! if it wasn't for that one key word "much" I might have actually freaked out.

I KNOW, RIGHT?

I was bracing myself to be crying in my sleep tonight, but then I breathed a sigh when I saw he was just retiring. No, I'm still very sad but I'm glad he's still healthy and with us. That is the day I am NOT looking forward to...