Activity on Balmung?

BaneWarden

Hey guys,

I know I'm a new face around here, but I've actually been playing since a few days after launch. I rolled on a different server due to all the craziness that was unfolding, but now that things seem to have calmed down (relatively), I figured I'd poke you guys and ask a few quick questions:

1. How active is the RP scene on Balmung? I only ask because I, unfortunately, have been witness to several games where the RP community on any designated server tends to be light to nonexistent, save for forum posts. If that is the same here, I'd probably just assume stay where I'm at. If it -is- active and healthy, though, I would love to become a part of it. (Been roleplaying for a looong time).

2. I've gotten my character on the different server to level 23. Should I wait for character transfers to open up, or just reroll and start over?

3. Any Free Companies looking for an active, veteran MMORPG player and roleplayer? Would love to have a home soon after swapping sides.

Thanks again for the help everyone. You'll be seeing more of me, I'm sure!

--Bane

No comments at all? Or did I put this in the wrong forum?

Maybe if it had been in the RP discussion section? No idea!

1. I've seen a lot of RP in the past few days between Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa. Tons of people are open to getting together if you ask, otherwise you can try hanging around the Bismarck like I did.

2. Twenty three is pretty high but it's doable. You could start a new character until transfers are released. If you get it up to fifteen to get around you'll at least be able to check out the RP.

3. Can't say on this but they'll probably want to know what your character is like before offering their FCs, to make sure it's compatible.

Hey guys,

I know I'm a new face around here, but I've actually been playing since a few days after launch. I rolled on a different server due to all the craziness that was unfolding, but now that things seem to have calmed down (relatively), I figured I'd poke you guys and ask a few quick questions:

1. How active is the RP scene on Balmung? I only ask because I, unfortunately, have been witness to several games where the RP community on any designated server tends to be light to nonexistent, save for forum posts. If that is the same here, I'd probably just assume stay where I'm at. If it -is- active and healthy, though, I would love to become a part of it. (Been roleplaying for a looong time).

2. I've gotten my character on the different server to level 23. Should I wait for character transfers to open up, or just reroll and start over?

3. Any Free Companies looking for an active, veteran MMORPG player and roleplayer? Would love to have a home soon after swapping sides.

Thanks again for the help everyone. You'll be seeing more of me, I'm sure!

--Bane

Hiya!

1. I think the RP scene in Balmung is pretty active. Hanging around the Bismark can find you some RP most of the time I think. I know my FC does RP there a lot. You're always more then welcome to come hang out.

2. 23 is a decent level but not that hard to make up. Though only issue with waiting for character transfers is when they are allowed it doesn't mean that people will be able to transfer to Balmung as it seems to be a rather populated server. If I remember correctly some games will only let you transfer to smaller servers in order to help the population problems. Of course this based off of experience with past games I have played and not based on anything SE has put out.

3. You are more then welcome to come RP with me and my own. Feel free to whisper me in game Dustyn Ashling. I'm usually on and almost always free.

1. I've seen some open world RP going on, which I didn't in other servers. There's likely a lot more going on in LSes/FCs/parties and such. I'd say yes, active.

2. 23 is reroll-able, unless you also got to 15+ in most other classes. The main annoyance right now is dungeons, since a lot of people in Balmung are higher leveled, so finding parties for low level dungeons (necessary to progress the story) can be hard.

3. Not sure I can answer this one, I agree with Siobhain though - it depends a lot on whether your character/rp style would fit in.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies! My character is a Gladiator/Knightly sort, but also happens to be stuck in Ul'dah until he's fifteen. Hope to run into some RP before I can make it to Limsa!

FABULOUS! There needs to be more of the sort, imo! (And dun you give in to the dark side that is Eross and probably delicious cookies. *fist clench* YOUR EVENTS WITH YOUR BAKED GOODS AND NONE FOR ME! D: )

On a related note I've seen some RP going on near the Sultansworn area as well as the Adventurer's Guild in Ul'dah. I hope you can find some!

Figured I would just update this, I finally managed to secure a character on the server! Name is Ducard Alvare. I'll be wandering about Ul'dah tonight I think looking for RP. Going to hold off any major character progression though until we find out about character transfers, as my "main" is already level 30. xD

Something like 250 people showed up to the gala Kylin hosted last weekend. Also I notice rp going on in /say fairly often in pretty much every location it is suitable, so yes Balmung is super active.

Impressive in theory, though in practice I imagine it was all rather chaotic? Call me cynical, but most role-players end up being drowned out IC and OOC at large gatherings no matter how well orchestrated they may be. My advice to people searching for role-play would be to try and find like-minded individuals or small groups to work with and forge some long term character driven stories and adventures.

Draheim, I sent you an IM on the forums here with a couple questions. :)

Also, one more quick question: is there a public Linkshell for OOC chatter for the server that has slots open? I thought I read something of one existing, but I'm not sure anymore.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

--Ducard

• 1 month later...

What is with the sudden surge of RP on the server? O.o  I swear there are so many simultaneous scenes ongoing at any one time in Ul'dah and Thanalan alone.

This is a good thing isn't it? More RP is well, more RP. :D

My guess would be people hitting 50 and those who were stuck on other servers being able to transfer would have something to do with it.

What is with the sudden surge of RP on the server? O.o  I swear there are so many simultaneous scenes ongoing at any one time in Ul'dah and Thanalan alone.

This is a good thing isn't it? More RP is well, more RP. :D

My guess would be people hitting 50 and those who were stuck on other servers being able to transfer would have something to do with it.

Its a great thing. Its just, as active as the server was beforehand, it completely pales in comparison. I was very pleasantly surprised because I am ready to start focusing more on RP and less on the gaming side of things >w<

Its a great thing. Its just, as active as the server was beforehand, it completely pales in comparison. I was very pleasantly surprised because I am ready to start focusing more on RP and less on the gaming side of things >w<

I think you are right (perhaps unintentionally) in mentioning the shift from gaming to RP, at least in 1.0 (and other games) the same pattern seems to occur, many RPers who also want to reach end-game, refocusing on RP when they hit the content plateau they feel comfortable with.

Which is awesome to see, though it makes me wonder how much it will fluctuate with new content being introduced. I know that I hardly had RP time when I was trying to progress with the Good King and the White Raven.

Just curious, but what are some of the hot spots that a new person can get into on Balmung? I'm guessing the three city-state capitals, but is there anywhere else?

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=4668

Is a good thread to check out. To be honest, pretty much any where with tables and some seating. Fall Ground Float, Camp Drybone, of course results may vary depending on time of day, but outside of the main cities its usually tavern, or interesting landmarks.

Oh I would be negligent not to include taking a look at the

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=4812

Though not always the most active it does serve for people who might be popping by with no prior engagements.

I will be honest and say that I have yet to go in search of RP since I would like to max my level first (and haven't had time to get online enough to be able to do that, yeah, I am one of those people that wants to make it to end game before I dive into RP) but every time in the afternoon and night (EST) I always find someone roleplaying at fallground floats within my quick moment of running through the city.

If you like fights, or just want to meet people, every Wednesday and Saturday there is a Grindstone Tourny (open to all, think more of a fight club but with a few safety rules) outside Nald Gate on the bridge just outside of Ul'dah. (Nald gate? I get Nald and Thal mixed up ..it's the one right across from the Adventurer's Guild in Ul'dah) There is usually a good 15-20+ people turnout.

One thing you could do as well is join the OOC RP chat Intermission and whenever you're in the mood to RP throw out a chat in the LS and ask if any roleplay is happening or if anyone wants to spark something up, never hurts to ask.