What does not Kill...[Closed Archive|FIN]

It was the same thing. The same position he had found himself for several times now. But now… now it was different. Natalie had been right, as always. It needed to end in a way where Kage felt like himself again.

And the Captain Anden made it a simple choice really.

String him up in the square and castrate him publicly indeed for ‘fraternizing’ with a subordinate, indeed. Taking at most 10 men with him in pursuit of Roen Deneith to force her to face desertion charges. Promoting him to Lieutenant to take Natalie’s place because she was demoted for fraternizing with him.

Aye, Kage only knew that he could either run away or change his current path. It would hurt a lot when Kage had to face the consequences of doing this. To be Sultansworn no longer. He was confident that when the storm faded and stopped its raging path that Roen and Natalie would be back to being Sultansworn once more. But he, with this solution, would have no chance in the order once more.

”It’s stange. You learned a lot more from Kayah than you think. You’re running away.”

But without Natalie… Forcing Roen back into the city… Kage could not live with this. He could not live with himself. But he loved Ul’dah, even with its faults. Ul’dah was his home, and so was Natalie.

The Miqo’te sighed as he swirled his finger atop the mug’s lip. He had started this path though before the talk with Captain Anden. The Captain just made it clear. Aye, it would be hard but the other ‘option’ would be even harder. Kage drained the contents of his mug before standing. He would resign from the Brass Blades. He’d tell Captain Anden about his resignation himself before his confession.

But first, first Kage had been tasked with bring Roen Deneith to Ul’dah to face desertion charges. That wasn’t quite what he had in mind. Osric Melkire was currently out of his reach. So was Ser Crofte. The Roegadyn by the name of Hornet? He… wasn’t sure that was the smartest or best decision.

Perhaps Kiht would know.

Kage hoped so.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kage fingered the report delivered to him from Commander Swift. He felt like shite now, as always. As was the usual for him as of late. He thought about Aya's words last night. Now Osric seemed to be in a position similar to his own just a few suns ago.

It didn't change much of anything. Kage had plans. Warn Roen in some way, either directly or through a messenger. He preferred the former though. Resign from the Brass Blades. Confess to the murder of two Blades during the rescue of one terrorist Gharen Wolfsong.

Kage wasn't sure he'd live after the confession, but if he did, he hoped to aid Osric in some way.

Who knew what lay in his future. Kage did not, he could only hope that his home wouldn't burn. Ul'dah or Natalie.

Kage started to pen a letter to Commander Swift. After all it was only right.

I have receipt of the report that you promised to send to me. As I mentioned, I will not insist on pursuing it further.

I must make things clear and confess. I will be first reaching out to one Roen Deneith as per my orders by Captain Anden of the Brass Blades. Second, I will be returning to Ul'dah to resign and confess. I was the one who initiated the murder of the two in the tunnels. It was not sanctioned by then-Lt. Mcbeef.

Third, it has come to my attention that CFS Osric Melkire may be under duress and pressure from forces intending to do harm to the Jewel of the Desert. I know not of who these forces may be, however those he trusts seem to be very worried.

Yours sincerely,

Kage Kiryuu

At the Hall of Flames, Kage gave them a salute before asking if perhaps the Commander could get the note personally. He turned, heading to the airship landing. He hoped to find a certain Kiht Jakkya. Hopefully she could help him.

((I will be sharing the link to a pastebin log of the RP being thought of in this post, at the end. It was such a good night for me, and the dialogue and such was wonderful. It’s a crime for it to only be known by my closest friends and those who were a part of it.))

The Miqo’te sat on the boat with a heavy heart. Traveling between Limsa Lominsa to Thanalan and Vesper Bay… He so disliked the deep waters. An artifact of his desert upbringing, not having learned to swim or deal with such things. But he thought, if Kage would not live to see the light of day or soon to be killed… well, perhaps a boat ride would be sufficient. He didn’t want to just teleport back to Ul’dah.

… It would make the end that much sooner. With each passing bell, Kage knew he was prolonging his inevitable fated end. The murder of lawmen was surely going to have him hanged. It was what Kage expected. Obviously, he would hope to have his life, but Kage was willing to face the consequences of his sins.

A small smile spread across his lips. Speaking to Roen… saying goodbye. He had expected her or Gharen to try to immediately turn him away and out of their camp. Seeing her… Kage so wished it did not have to be this way. He was resolved of course, that perhaps he could ask the Captain to give Roen some reprieve. Roen would not leave her duties in Ul’dah without a resignation, so Kage thought. She was right to leave and she deserved it, but Kage knew that Roen must have had some sense of duty that kept her working in the Brass Blades. He was sure that that sense of duty would bring her back to Ul’dah to at least resign.

This sun was just not that day. Nor should it be, in Kage’s opinion.

Kage shook his head as he took a sip of simple sweet water. He had started to take a liking to it, just under Momodi’s ale of course. He eyed the approaching port of Vesper Bay. He was so, so very glad to have been able to speak with Roen. Face to face. To say goodbye. He blinked tears out of his eyes, giving a wistful smile. It was also very nice to know that she did not despise him.

Disembarking the vessel, Kage reached one of the moogles. Taking out a short piece of paper and using a pen he jotted down a quick note.

I’ve spoken to Roen. She knows now that she faces desertion charges and the willingness of the Captain to pursue her.

I’ve also said my goodbyes.

I’ll be back in Ul’dah post-haste. I’ve my chocobo with me. Meet me when you are finally free from your patrol, love. Then I’ll see to the Captain to tell him of my resignation.

Love,

Kage

Commander,

I've recently come by some information while I have been on my last rites. A Garlean Miqo'te by the name of Jin'li has your man's hands tied. He's white haired and insane. I know naught of anything else.

I didn't know if you have already received this information, but I know there are those who would not trust my words. I hope to have helped before I have made my confession.

Yours,

Kage Kiryuu

With a deep breath, Kage climbed atop of his chocobo, riding towards Ul'dah. It would end, soon.

As promised THE LOG OF FEELS

The meeting with Captain Anduron was… interesting to say the least. He already had known. So much he had already known and information that Kage himself had not known.

Four lives lost. Four. Not just the two taken by his own hands. Melkire? Kage had not read the entire report, only that Melkire had reported that he had killed the two Blades on essentially Natalie’s orders.

Captain Anduron definitely had not been pleased. Far more than the other times Kage had ever met him. It possibly did not help that as soon as Kage had seen him, Kage had essentially had word vomit. The Captain had told him to shut up… The Captain unnerved Kage in ways he never thought of before. Anden Anduron was a man of Ul’dah. He was not like Miss Banurein who had her own motives and machinations. Captain Anduron had Ul’dah in mind.

Ervis Dev. He had a wife and one daughter.

Mangon Heartfellow. He was divorced and father of three children.

Katha Bort, single but loved to drink. Perhaps the same type of drink like the brandy that Captain Anduron had poured Kage.

Sagacious Segue, collector of kittens who still lived with his mother.

Re-reading the report that Melkire had filed with Commander Swift after meeting with Anduron, aye, it had been he who had ordered an Alexei Volkov to slay the two Blades at the top of the tunnels.

Captain Anduron had been clear. The sentence of killing even one Brass Blade was execution. Allowing anyone, especially a non-Blade as Kage had wanted to resign, to kill would bring about mayhem and disorder to the city. But if he were to be punished, as a Brass Blade, Kage would be able to live. Punished for his sins, aye, but he would live…. still… as a Brass Blade. He would then be able to at least continue Captain Anduron’s orders to assist with the Immortal Flames in the defense of Ul’dah against Jin’li’s threats.

"I will be plain with you, Kiryuu. I do not like you. I think you are overly emotional and ill-suited for any task that requires any sort of discipline. But then... I mistrusted the three of you "ousted" Royalists to begin with. I first assumed the three of you imbiciles had been placed in my care by the 'sworn powers-that-be as spies. However, it soon became apparent that you could hardly conceal your lack of wits, much less conceal a fasle identity."

"Your... -paramour-, McBeef..Was given two simple tasks - the simplest - and utterly botched one of them. I will deal with her in my own way. I don't suppose you actually followed my exacting order to cease relations with her."

Truthfully, Kage could not stop from loving Natalie but no… he had barely even seen Natalie since the first meeting with Captain Anduron when he had told him of his orders regarding Roen as well as the threat of castration. He had told the captain the truth. He hadn’t done anything physically, exchange of words? Aye but not anything physically.. She had gone on her 48 bell patrol while he had started to attempt to find Roen.

For his sins, the Captain told him he would be dealt a punishment far worse than what had happened to Roen. He would definitely have been in need of Natalie’s trauma healing aid… if it had not been for that attempted assassination on Captain Anduron when he was going to receive his punishment in the 5th ward of the Goblet. A hooded figure had been asking Kage about delivering a letter to the Captain. He had found it suspicious and tried to steer the man away but he had been insistent. When the Captain arrived and was willing to receive the letter, that was when the man made his attempt. He had thrown his pack and tried to take knives to the captain. If it were not for Stank Balls Mcbeef… the assassin might have been successful. But three… then four… well three really as Stank was injured could not would or even subdue one man. It was almost embarassing. But the man escaped and then… then Captain Anduron went missing. He had kicked the aethernet shard the man had used to make his escape in anger and he disappeared into the aether himself.

… Then Ser Crofte revealed just how… naive she could be. It definitely made Kage angry. Why reveal that one knew of confidential orders to anyone? No one save for the captain, Stank and Kage himself were to know about them. Oh, more people knew but that was because Kage himself revealed them. To -Roen-. To -Natalie-. Roen’s friends. No one were supposed to know about the desertion charges Roen faced and yet Ser Crofte reveals that to the entire Quicksand. How stupid was she?

If Roen came to harm because of Crofte’s stupid actions, Kage himself will kill Ser Crofte. Twelve be damned.

Kage sighed as he packed some things. He knew Kayah had paid for the place but it… it wasn’t theirs. Especially now. Faine honestly spent more time in the house than he did. They needed something closer to Ul’dah. Something that was theirs.

Knock knock-knock knock-knock knock knock!

He blinked, peering at the door apprehensively. It had been their knock. The one between he and Kizuna. He thought back to the salve cream in his box before looking at the door.

Knock knock-knock knock-knock knock knock!

“Who is it?” He called, softly. His voice was torn.

Knock knock-knock knock-knock knock knock!- “...Kizuna.”

With an almost unnatural speed, Kage opened the door, “Don’t you play with me ye damned garlean! You can’t possibly… be.. Kizuna…?”

The lalafell smiled bashfully at him before glancing around at the state of the place. She raised an eyebrow before asking, “Kage, I thought you were a Sultansworn. Why does it look like you live in a shack? Do you not have gil?”

Kage shook his head, stepping aside to let her in. He pointed at a chair and poured her some chilled sweet water. “Kizuna… I’m surprised. What are you doing here?”

“I was on my way to the Alchemists’ Guild. I had heard that you had a place but this…” The lalafell shook her head.

“It’s what I was left with. It’s a house I have been with the ones who I have left.. who have not left or abandoned me,” he stated softly.

Kizuna glanced down at the floor before rushing forward to wrap her arms around the Miqo’te. Kage made a small, surprised grunt before slowly easing himself down to return her embrace.

“Kizuna?”

“I missed you! I miss you brother!” She cried. Kage gulped. She had always been his little sister. He pat her head and growled just a little.

“It will be fine Kizuna. It will be fine. I don’t want mother to abandon you too.”

Kizuna hiccuped sadly. He gave her a small gentle smile which she returned. Then she frowned and slapped his arm.

“Ow! Kizuna!”

“You can’t live like this brother!”

Kage shook his head. “Kizuna, I have been saving for a new home but… I just don’t make as much gil now as I once did when I came to Ul’dah. I’m.. I’m not a ‘Sworn right now.”

Kizuna pouted before her eyes lit up. Kage looked at her warily, knowing he will probably disagree with her.

“I shall give you enough gil to make up for the rest brother!”

Kage squawked, shaking both his head and his hands. “Kizuna, I can’t do that!’”

Kizuna frowned and he relented instantly. “I will gift you the rest brother. Here,” At this, Kizuna pulled a bank draft and slid it over to him.

“...Kizuna this was already made out.”

“Aye.”

“....”

“... I might have been watching for a while brother. Please, take it?” At this, Kizuna made a face that Kage could only call “an innocent Miqo’te face.” He sighed and nodded his reluctance. He moved forward, grabbing her into a hug and whispered his thanks as he lifted her into the air a bit.

“Thank you… Thank you Kiz.”

She smiled before swatting him to let go. He grinned at her as she walked out, “I’ll mail you brother. See you!”

“Thank you Kiz! I’ll mail you when the house I’ve wanted!”

Kage watched as she skipped to the chocobo porter, headed to Ul’dah.

• 2 weeks later...

Kage cleared his throat, watching the streets of his home's housing ward. Not part of any patrol, no. He’d finally gotten what… what he thought he wanted.

An exit from the Brass Blades.

It wasn’t what he truly wanted, no. No, what he truly wanted was what he and Roen once had. What Ser Crofte had. What Natalie had once more.

But it wasn’t to be it seemed. And with that, Kage was lost again.

With Captain Anden Anduron missing, Kage was able to resign from the Brass Blades easily. His record with them was just fine. They’d even noted that he’d nearly given his life in service and was honorably discharged. It served him just fine. Kage was out of a place that he was sure would have led to his own death and it was without a mar on his record.

“Greetings, Momodi! I’m here to update my status with the Adventurers’ Guild…” He had given a small smile, his dull eyes hiding the pain he felt, emotionally and physically.

He made his way into the house, clutching a packet. He wanted its contents, no, he needed them. The relief. The escape. The oblivion. Kage knew not what to do but this.

The two missives at the Hall of Flames were for Corporal Haruko Kokojo and for the office of Commander Swift. The former detailed what had happened with Jin’li Epinoch. The attempt in bringing him him. The mage. The gunblade. Being shot and burned. One of Jin’li’s assassin agents in holding with the Red Wings, he believed. As such, he assumed then that the Red Wings were the ones to go to and that as he was removing himself from the Brass Blades communications need not continue unless necessary. The latter explained that he was putting himself back into the Free Brigade roster if allowed and that when needed he may answer the Jewel’s call for help.

Kage took a deep breath as he settled at his desk. Empty of all the items he associated with the Brass Blades. He’d returned the equipment issued, especially the damned sollerets. Now all he was left with was staring, forlornly, at the surcoat he once adorned but now… now..

Kage took the wooden pipe as he started to work at the package contents. A bottle of rum lay next to it

Relief.

Oblivion.

Coming off the high and the unconsciousness that the pipe's contents and rum provided, Kage found his ink quill and parchment. On it, he started to draft a letter.

Dear Roen,

The last I heard you felt that you were on the mend. Doing better.

How are you now? I have not heard from you and I have to admit that I've grown worried. I hope that you were not caught up in any more of Ul'dah's issues with the white haired Garlean Miqo'te or his ally, some black mage.

... I took two shots to the chest in our attempt to subdue and capture Jin'li. His mage was able to get me with a ball of fire as well. I've still got pain from the incident but I've been smoking some stuff to help. It's... actually quite nice.

Natalie is Sultansworn once more. I.. I am not, but it gives me hope that when you return that you will be once more. I am not sure where my path lies... I'm lost again. Without true purpose. What does one do in a state like this?

I hope that when you are better, you may visit my house one time... or perhaps I can visit you? After all, I'm... duty-less.

Yours,

Kage

Kage sighed as his ears twitched and he looked once more at the pipe with half-lidded eyes. He stood, walking to a moogle to give his letter to Roen. When he returned to his desk, he gave a small smile. He poured himself another glass of rum. He sipped it before he lit the pipe once more. He leaned back with a sigh.

Kage wasn't sure he'd be able to give this up even when he was fully healed.

Kage was back once more with the Blades, with the hopes that... honorable service will allow him to serve with those he cherished the most.

It was not to be.

Roen in gaol. He a Brass Blade. Only Natalie had returned to what he believed they were all to be. Sultansworn.

As usual it seemed, Natalie had been his voice. His reason. She caught him as he stumbled and let go for him to stand up and not falter. He wasn't himself, smoking moko grass and trying to live his life simply as an adventurer.

He wanted. Desired. To be 'Sworn once more. In order for that to happen, Taeros might needs convincing as Kage was still tied to the issues Roen was facing. Kage was sure that Roen would be cleared. There were records that Cicero had been brought in and not only that, he had escaped from the Sultansworn gaols. A decent Miqo'te would not have done that and disappeared from Ul'dah. The very act of escaping the goals should discredit his testimony and his credibility should be shot.

But Roen said she had not come to put herself in gaol for herself. It was for Gharen. So that Gharen would not need to live a fugitive's life. He was charged with the theft of the cerulean core, which Roen said was not true. Thus, Kage had to work to clear Gharen's name. Delial was a lead. Perhaps the lead in getting the testimony from this highlander, Shaelen, so that Gharen would be cleared.

Roen was excited and she clearly had hopes. Kage only wished he could deliver on her hopes.

“NO NATALIE, NO!”

Kage jerked awake, not in his own bed this time. He had visited the barracks where he would be garrisoned and slept there after taking another late shift. Even after the attack on Ifrit. The dream had been vivid. Natalie, tempered once more. Aye the previous tempering was not a true one, not from a primal but… It felt real nonetheless. The same emotions he had felt then. The fear. The helplessness. The uncanniness. Only this time, it had be she who had been tempered by Ifrit not Tom. Tom, the conjurer, and his sacrifice that had reminded Kage of what had happened what seemed a Calamity ago.

“Ser, is something wrong? Is the Lieutenant- I mean- is Ser Mcbeef all right?” One of the more amiable Blades under Kage asked, concerned. Kage liked him; he was Ul’dahn born and raised but he still held some empathy for those he was paid to serve.

The miqo’te shook his head, “No, Caleb, it was just a vivid nightmare after the events earlier yesterday.”

Caleb, as his name was revealed, tilted his head. “Heard about that. Nasty business that, but at least it wasn’t everyone. I heard Ser Mcbeef was there too.”

Kage nodded, a grim expression set across his face. “Aye, a conjurer named Tom. Poor bastard. He came onto the scene as we were finishing preparations hollerin’ his arse off. Think he lost his chocobo on the way. Not like Natalie who set hers on home.”

Slapping his hand on Kage’s shoulder, Caleb shook his head. “All said and done, may he rest in Thal’s good graces. I still thank the Twelve you came back to us. I know ye be wanting to rejoin the ranks of Sultansworn when all will be cleared… you’re great but I’ll be missin’ ye all the same ser.”

Surprised, Kage blinked. Caleb smiled at his confused expression and continued, “Everyone ye command knows the kind of man ye are, ser. Some of us are proud ye love Ul’dah. That ye be willin’ to do what ye did. We put our lives on the line but not like ye. Not like that.”

Kage grasped Caleb’s forearm with one hand while clasping the palm in the other. “Caleb, you’re a good man.”

Caleb took his hand back, bashfully scratching the back of his neck in the same motion. “”Ye are too, ser. When ye return to the Sultansworn, I hope ye will come by and share a mug o’ale with us, ser.”

Kage laughed and nodded as he stood. “Aye, Caleb. I promise, I will.” He let loose a deep breath and ordered, “Take care Caleb. Little Ala Mhigo doesn’t just have issues within with the refugees. The Amalj’aa and Ifrit are problems.”

Caleb gave him a salute, “Aye, ser!”

Kage pursed his lips and saluted, “Carry on. Let yours know that you needs must leave on the ring of the bell.”

Caleb and Kage parted ways; Caleb went on to speak with the rest of the unit and Kage headed back home.

All the while, Kage thought of the events still. Tom, the conjurer. Osric Melkire, Chief Flame Sergeant. Natalie, Sultansworn. People from all walks of life… and yet Kage… Brass Blade. He clenched his fists, the longing in his heart growing fiercer each bell. Seeing Natalie in her surcoat. Fighting along her side. One of the party called him Sultansworn still. He had not misled them. He had been truthful. “I’m Kage. Suspended Sultansworn. Currently Lieutenant of the Brass Blades.”

It had still pained him to say it though. So many of Blades were cronies. Horrible, corrupt. Kage did all he could now without such a tight leash on him to help people see that not all of the Blades were horrible. But… reputation precedes. And the majority of the Blades were just as bad as the man who paid them. In Kage’s case, tethered, until the case against Roen was blown free, for herself and her brother.

Delial Grimsong. Gharen Wolfsong. Shaelen. Cicero. Roen Deneith. The Rose. The Rose and Cicero were one and the same. Kage trusted Natalie, and he’d try what she asked…

But he felt like he was making one more deal with an evil unknown. Approach Cicero and convince him to recant? The only way that could be good outside of Roen and Gharen being cleared would be that Cicero himself would not dare darken Ul’dah’s gates once more. The damned poetic Garlean.

Kage shook his head out of his thoughts. He would trust that Natalie would be able to clear them both and he’d help all he could. Even if he wished he could just slay the Rose. Kage furrowed his brows as he approached the steps to his home. Mr. Puggles, Natalie’s chocobo seemed still very much in distress after she had sent it home alone after being stabbed by the Amalj’aa as she was making her way to the group that would be hoping to confront the Lord of the Inferno.

“WARK!”

Kage saw that Shiron was sleeping inside his portion of the stables as he made his way towards Mr. Puggles. The chocobo was too distressed to even snap its beak at Kage. Kage cooed, murmuring soothing words to Mr. Puggles. “Shhh… shh… Mr. Puggles it’s ok. You know Natalie sent you home because she thought you would be safe.”

There was no answer from the chocobo. Kage pursed his lips and pet its head, “If she didn’t care she’d not have patched you up and sent you home.” He fed Mr. Puggles some Gysahl Greens which seemed to might have brighten it up. With a pet on Shiron’s head, Kage left the chocobo stables and went inside.

He needed to make sure that the poet would be amiable to fixing the mess he’d caused.

Damned Garlean Miqo’te really.

It was strange. Kage remembered falling asleep in bed but… how did he make it out into the Hustings Strip? Kage walked forward and the next thing he knew, he was hearing something horrible over his ears.

“Ser Crofte?” The lalafellin Sultansworn guard. “I’m informing you that your charge is dead.”

What?!

Kage found himself in Roen’s cell. The female Highlander Sultansworn was watching the scene with a small frown. Roen was… dead. The Midlander Kage considered a sister lay as if she had tumbled out of the bed but still had half of her body on it.

“Dead,” Crofte repeated. The overwhelming feeling of dread and heartbreak continued to well in him.

Then stood Natalie in the middle of the cell. Drugged up and holding one of the skins. Crofte observed Natalie before whispering in realization, “Somnus… Somnus in the water skins.”

Moments of silence passed before it seemed as if Natalie was all better, and the miqo’te female crouched down beside Roen.

“With the amount of sweet water she’d ingest, it’s definitely an overdose. And she was targeted.”

No…

No.

No!

NO!

Kage jerked awake, “NO!!” His forehead had started to bead with sweat. A groan came from the female form beside him as she shifted from his movements.

“Kage? What’s the matter?”

Kage closed his eyes, clenching his fists into the bedsheets. “Nightmare,” he took a shaky breath. “Roen died in that cell.” Tears started to drop down his face before he paused.

Natalie lay an arm across his chest, pulling him tighter and cuddling around him. “Shh,” she soothed, “It was a nightmare. Roen’s still alive and I’m gonna have words with Taeros. Maybe even permanent ones.” The last bits were growled.

Kage tucked his forehead into the crook of her neck and sighed. He cuddled back with her, drawing strength from the close proximity of the one he adored. “Aye…”

Natalie kept him close as she whispered, “Now go back to sleep.” Her breath slowly evened out as she fell back into a slumber. Kage, too, followed, moments later.

• 3 weeks later...

The lalafell made his way back to the home, limping from the injuries he’d sustained while patrolling the streets. He’d stopped to help a Miqo’te in Pearl Lane, reminded of Faine. Turned out that the woman was looking and had found her easy mark. Unfortunately for her, Kage didn’t carry much on him while on duty but still lucky for her since she’d taken out her frustrations on him. He’d had her in manacles and had her sent to the oubliettes after she nearly knocked his knee out of its socket. He missed his surcoat. His larger shield. The plated armor.

When he opened the door to the home Kayah had left to them he found it in shambles. Panic welled up within him as he called out for them. “Nat! Faine!” All he heard was silence. With sword and shield in hands the lalafell crept forwards into the dark unlit home. He opened the door to the bedroom when he stopped at the sight before him. Faine’s abdomen was sliced open once more. Natalie hung from the rafters, her armor dented and worn. Broken from hard knocks and large gashes. Axe marks. The lalafell dropped his arms, reaching up to remove Natalie from where she hung. With trembling hands and tears on his face Kage held his fingers to her cold, pale neck. Just hoping. But the pool of blood from where she once hung and the breathlessness told him what he’d confirmed.

The two were dead.

Kage screamed in grief, tears and choked sobs following. A creak in the wooden floors gave him pause as the lalafell reached out to grab his sword from a roll. As he rose from the roll and swung in the direction of the sword, a gauntleted hand grabbed his wrist before swiftly twisting it before popping his elbow out. Kage screamed again, this time in pain. The sword dropped to the wooden floor with a clang as the attacker then finished the female’s work in Pear Lane by kicking his knee out. The lalafell collapsed to the floor, unarmed. He tried to rise from the floor with his uninjured arm when a sharp heavy blade knocked him back into the floor.

A large axe had been embedded into him, from part of his shoulder and into his chest. Kage made a sort of gurgled mixed cough of blood as his head hit the wooden floor. The last thing he saw as another axe came into the corner of his vision was the sight of the lifeless bodies of Natalie and Faine.

The scream of anger, grief and pain rung out during the early noon. Blue furred ears flattened against his head as Kage lurched from the sweat drenched sheets of the bed. He was alone. Alone in his house in the Goblet. He could smell the water from the waterfall nearby as the water disturbed everything it rushed into. The miqo’te’s hands felt nothing but it was expected. Natalie would be at work and Faine was probably doing something else. He grasped at the sheets, eyes clenched as he could almost still see the images of them. Their deaths. A muffled sob still rang out as Kage buried his head into the covers. He paused as he inhaled. The scent of everyone who slept in the bed. His loved ones. He gathered a pillow into his arms as he tucked his head into it, taking in the scent as he rolled onto his side. His fingers dug in as thoughts of the ones he loved filled his mind. He could not give Faine the kits she wanted. He didn’t know if he could always keep Natalie happy. But he would do his best.

And keep them alive.

Putting on the surcoat was like a fantasy but it still felt as if his dreams were far and large away. For some reason it felt as it did before... before when he was a Blade.

Nothing was the way it was before. Back then. Was it always going to be like this? This sense of longing and forlorn? Even when he thought he was happy with his personal life, he still felt empty. Even now. Just as he had when he was a Blade.

Clenching his eyes, Kage took out the linkpearls of which he seldom ever used. He pinched and rolled them between his fingers contemplating what he felt.

"What's the point of having these? Just to be reminded that I'm just an outcast in the groups? I don't belong..."

His thoughts ended as he opened his eyes. With a deep inhale, he gently set them on the floor. Standing up he crunched the pearls underneath his boots.

It did nothing. Nothing about how he felt changed. Letting out a sigh, he got a broom and dustpan, proceeding to clean up the mess. He needed to get to his post. Whether or not he had the company of other Sworn or Paladins, it didn't change his feelings. His sense of forlorn.

Kage crouched, perched upon the spot on the railing where he first met Salem. Where he himself started to sit before he changed. Where he now sat, as per his usual. This was his spot. Where he could watch the comings and goings of the Quicksand, listening to any possible news or whispers of the happenings in the city. Was the Sultana in jeopardy?

He closed his eyes in a moment of small reprieve, trying to listen to everything and nothing at the same time. Give them their privacies. Any dumbarses willing to threat the Sultana would meet the goals.

And yet... and yet... his thoughts were still consumed by an increasingly overwhelming feeling of emptiness. He felt hollow. His gaze, his thoughts, his feelings. Were they hollow as well? Was he trapped in a gaol of his own, locked way from the people he loved?

Had he faltered?

"Kage!" Franz had been calling out to Kage for the past few minutes, waving his hands in front of the miqo'te's face as well. While his eyes were certainly open, he seemed to just be perched on the rail staring off into space, as far as the Franz could tell.

While he had thought of just shaking Kage a little, the miqo'te would probably immediately perceive it as an attack. He put his hand on Kage's shoulder, and lightly shook it. "KA.GE."

"Ugh!"

The miqo'te blinked, shaking his head at the interruption.

Franz.

That annoying Garlean who made his life hell for quite a bit and upturned it on its head too. Kage glared at him, more feeling than he had had for the last couple of days welling in him.

"What do you want?"

He looked around, not seeing or hearing anything of import so he climbed off his perch on the railing to set foot upon the Quicksand's floor.

Franz shrugged a little. Kage's reaction was expected, after all. At least Kage felt /something/.

"You'd started to sway a little, and it looked as if you were going to fall off."

"...And I wanted to talk." He leaned against the rail himself.

"Will we ever be on friendly terms? I'm honestly trying here."

Kage scoffed, looking at him with almost incredulity. He dropped down from his perch in a crouch before rising to stand on his own two feet. He tilted his head, eyeing the highlander before he answered.

"...So long as you never pose a threat to me and mine, Ul'dah... we'll get there. Perhaps."

He grit his teeth, boring into the man's gaze. "Frhanz gave his life for you. Ye got a piece of my friend in you whether ye like it or not. But, I'll never forget what you've caused me."

He ran a hand through his hair, his ears pert and alert.

"One day... one day, perhaps."

In what might have been his only opportunity, he reached out a hand to softly pat Kage on the head, maybe pet the ears. 

He partly wanted to see the reaction, and he knew if he had tried with any of the other miqo'te he knew, it would probably end badly. Yangh...would most likely feel insulted, and Natalie might assume it was some form of a playful gesture and reciprocate it.

"Honestly now, when was the last time I was actually a threat?" 

He'd been less-inclined to do anything crazy with each passing day. Maybe it was from Frhanz's influence,or maybe it was from the memories he had been recovering. Perhaps a little of both? Still, he kept the same axe that had once brought so much pain, nearby. It was always there, in a little pocket of the aether around him. But then, so was the retranslated grimoire, and a variety of other little tools for crafting. 

"And when was I ever a threat to Ul'dah?" If he had managed to succeed in petting the ears, he still be doing so now.

Kage narrowed his eyes, twitching when he saw movement on Franz's part. Then it happened... Franz set his big stupid hand on top of his head and tried to pet him and his ears! After jerking and twitching somewhat out of the way, stopping himself from hurting the big lug, he tensed staying still. Then... well it wasn't fair. Kage had found that even as a lalafell the two miqo'te he knew had sensitive ears and tails. When he found himself with them, he realized he'd be in the same predicament.

His ears twitched of their own accord and the tension lifted from his shoulders as Kage's eyelids drooped. "Th-th-that's sensitive Franz.. get... stop.."

There was a mostly playful, but slightly sinister smile on Franz's face, like a small child. It must have been something leftover from Frhanz. He kept petting the ears at the conversation went, to see how far he could push it.

"Oh, I'm aware they are." Another few strokes. It was the first time in a long time that Kage had dropped his guard. Franz might as well have some fun with it.

"But you never did answer. Am I really that much of a threat?" He continued. 

Franz may not have been a trained masseur like Honzo, but it couldn't possibly have hurt or Kage would have hit him by now.

Kage's eyes drifted between closed and drooping. This... damnit! Curse the twelve and Franz and whoever helped Franz transform him from lalafell to Miqo'te! If Franz wasn't even somewhat amiable now Kage would've kicked him quite hard in warning to not touch him.

But. There. He. Is.

Petting him.

As if he were a chocobo.

And Kage just didn't feel like he wanted to try and force himself to stop him.

Curses.

"Can't.. answer... when... nyaa."

Kage shrugged Franz off, swiping his hand at where Franz had been petting his own ears. "You can be. You've told me you had no compunctions about actually causing trouble if you get paid. Ye made that clear when you helped distract everyone while a hole was opened in the walls."

He put his hand down. For now at least. He supposed he could manage to let Kage get a few more sentences in before trying again. It was nice to have no worries. No fighting. Although a little weird for Kage to still be friendly. But with some time, that would come to pass as well.

Of course, his willingness for coin had been an issue. Or rather, the perceived morality around it. But he hadn't known Jin'li's plans at the time. And it wasn't in the nature of his line of work to ask. How had that not been made clear? Then again, each day, he was getting softer. More...attuned, if he wanted to put it that way, with his new Eorzean lifestyle. The same people he would have tried to kill just a few years back were becoming acquaintances, some even....friends. Was this really what he'd become? A prideful Garlean, "settling" for a peaceful life, about to rationalize his actions against a former-enemy's city He might as well just march to the nearest castrum and have himself removed. But he hadn't.

"Of course I had no issues with it. As I'd said before, we didn't know what out actions were for. Only the most minimal of details were given." He found an easier way to explain the situation. "Let's say that Natalie told you to go apprehend a person in the name of the Sultana. A person you didn't know, and had no reason to care about. for all you would have known, this person would have needed to do something wrong for such an action in the beginning! Now, after you'd locked that person up, Natalie lets you know that she just wanted the person off the streets because he had spilled his drink on her and pulled her tail, but not because he'd actually been a danger to Ul'dah."

He let Kage consider it for a moment, before continuing. "Would you have done things differently, having known the reasons behind your actions?"

"I think I would have in my case."

There. If that couldn't convey his perspective, he didn't think anything else could. Were all Eorzeans this stubborn?

Kage rolled his eyes.

"Do you not have a brain or do highlanders just have an empty skull? You don't think it might be questionable causing a ruckus when you don't know the employer?"

Kage shook his head, "The difference is I -trust- Natalie and the Sultana does too. She wouldn't do something so frivolous or idiotic."

"My point is, do you think about things or do you just mindfully follow plans or orders without a single thought whatsoever to the contrary?"

He thought about glaring for a moment, but did his best to keep cool. "I'm not a Highlander, and we both know that. And yes, a mercenary is a morally grey role. It comes with the work to not question the employer. Instead of trust on a personal level, we're stuck with using money. You may not have noticed, but I haven't taken a single one of those jobs since."

Well that had gone nowhere.

"And are you really trying to tell me you've never made a mistake in your line of work? Can you honestly say that all of your orders have only done Ul'dah good? Never hurt anyone? "

It may be perceived as mean, rude, or any other variety of things. He thought of it as showing concern. Who was Kage to judge his actions? No man was perfect. Franz had been doing the best he could to make a better life. He might as well defend it.

"Of course I think about my actions. Most of the time. But just thinking about something doesn't make it any better. Actions speak louder than words. But there is still an obligation to follow orders correctly, even if they're morally ambiguous."

"Ul'dah is a harsher city than you may be able to see. Without established connections, that was the best job I could get. And I'd rather not use 'his' money. Remember when you complain I'm not working. Ul'dah doesn't exactly have job openings. Especially so for the likes of me."

He hated bringing Fhranz into this. Partly, because it would always serve as a reminder to himself of the events that happened. Worse, it would be a painful reminder to Kage that his friend was dead, and it was due to the Garlean man. It didn't matter whose fault it was. That past could not be changed. All that had really happened at this point was a playful gesture and some well-meaning words had soured the mood.

He'd wait for a response, as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

"Twelve yer head is as hard-headed as your personality," Kage growled, his eyes narrowed as they filled with some hate... some anguish over the man's words. He looked around the establishment, very thankful that it was not overly crowded.

"You did it for your own selfish reasons. Ye don't just attack the city walls and think 'this be a good thing for Ul'dah' ye dumb shite. Ye wanted coin, simple. Don't make it seem like you were a poor bystander. Ye weren't under any orders but yer own free will to take the job," the miqo'te hissed. Even angrier, "Ye could do jobs for the Flames. Is simple. I know a'plenty of people who work for them, supplying them with arms or equipment or doing jobs for them. They were all perfectly fine with not having to take a job that attacks a city's defenses." The hissed words were almost said so quietly and under his breath that only the two involved could here.

Kage's nostrils flared as he poked the man in the chest. "Ye don't even know what happened. Ye don't know who was involved. You just know that someone I love got hurt." The miqo'te clenched his fists tightly before growling as he turned to leave with tears in his eyes, "It's still the better for 'er. This place doesn't deserve her and she deserves better."

Nothing else was said as he left briskly, not looking back or at anyone else... but at the ground.

Kage stared at the equipment forlornly. He let out a shaky breath as he laid a white beret atop of the items. With a big sigh, Kage shook his head and closed the chest, covering them. The miqo'te stared at the chest, almost without a single look of concentration... just looking at it its general direction.

He blinked his eyes, as he slid down with his back against the chest as he slumped over and his head flopped backwards. Small tears ran down his cheeks as he closed his eyes and clutched a piece of paper in his hand.

His head slowly rocked forward and back, sometimes having a soft thunk against the chest as his thoughts ran this way and that.

He wasn't no 'Sworn.

He couldn't teach Koporo.

He was a nobody in it all.

Nothing he did mattered. He was just a loose cog ready and waiting to be disposed of as the well-oiled machine of the city continued.

It would be so easy for everyone to continue their lives without him in it... He wouldn't be a burden to Natalie. Franz could finally start to completely receive the acceptance and peace of life he seemed to be striving for. Iron could take what he had and build his own room. Honzo was fine already. Kopo would find a mentor who would actually do him good. Roen, thankfully, already did not have him in her life. She was back on her feet it seemed for which Kage was glad.

With a heavy sigh, Kage walked down to his bench with the paper still clutched within one hand. Still clutching the paper, Kage looked at it. Resignation meant he would never be able to join its ranks again. But would it matter? With a mirthless chuckle and a shake of his head, Kage knew it wouldn't. It was already as if he was not one. What difference would it make? This letter. He closed his eyes once more, pausing a second before he re-opened his eyes. Using the hand clutching the paper, he slowly tugged on a ring hanging about a chain necklace about his neck.

"Together forever in arms and above all else." The engraving.

He took a deep breath, throwing both the ring and the paper into the forge. He watched as the paper turned to ash before turning to the ring. Watching as it turned orange-hot, he took his tongs out to retrieve it. He closed his eyes before taking another deep breath. He re-opened his eyes as he raised his hammer high up in the air.