Lore Adherent Midlander Name

So, I have read the wiki page on Hyur/Midlander naming conventions. While it does state that they have "more recognizable European names," it also states that "Last names are usually based off of professions, or locations of where they or their families lived. They may also represent a person’s outward features (i.e. brown hair leading to the surname 'browne')."

My question is, how strict is the ARR roleplaying community in socially enforcing naming conventions? I am new to this community, and every roleplaying community has varying levels of "thou shalt follow lore to the letter" attitudes in them. Would there be a notable amount of roleplayers out there that would frown on a European name that does not coincide with a profession, Anglo-Saxon/Celtic, or physical trait?

The name in question is Marmontel. :moogle:

I can't speak for everyone, but I've seen Midlander names all over the board. Most people I know would consider almost any "normal" sounding name okay for a Midlander, since they're generally the most "blank slate"-esque of the races in terms of background and naming conventions.

And, really, so long as you have an IC reason for deviating (although I wouldn't consider Marmontel to be a gross deviation from a Midlander surname), most people are fine. For example, if anyone really gets on your case about it, just think of an etiology for 'Marmontel' as it may have evolved over the generations. You know, how real surnames do!

Here is a link for a random surname that came up on The Google, where it explains the origins for a name in relation to its "ye olde" profession. Maybe s/he came from an ancestry who was known for living near a clearing or wood containing marmot burrows. ;)

Again, though, thinking of a logical etiology may be a bit more thorough than is needed, since it's not something likely to come up ICly unless you come across a character who's obsessed with finding out the origin of everyone's surname. As long as you're not named something like xXSephiroth StrifeXx, I think most people can forgive a small thing like this. ^^ /opinion

I can't speak for everyone, but I've seen Midlander names all over the board. Most people I know would consider almost any "normal" sounding name okay for a Midlander, since they're generally the most "blank slate"-esque of the races in terms of background and naming conventions.

And, really, so long as you have an IC reason for deviating (although I wouldn't consider Marmontel to be a gross deviation from a Midlander surname), most people are fine. For example, if anyone really gets on your case about it, just think of an etiology for 'Marmontel' as it may have evolved over the generations. You know, how real surnames do!

Here is a link for a random surname that came up on The Google, where it explains the origins for a name in relation to its "ye olde" profession. Maybe s/he came from an ancestry who was known for living near a clearing or wood containing marmot burrows. ;)

Again, though, thinking of a logical etiology may be a bit more thorough than is needed, since it's not something likely to come up ICly unless you come across a character who's obsessed with finding out the origin of everyone's surname. As long as you're not named something like xXSephiroth StrifeXx, I think most people can forgive a small thing like this. ^^ /opinion

Sounds good. I can certainly come up with something. Though I suppose my character Savage UniKorn will have to be deleted :lol: (I actually saw that name once in an MMO). 

But it sounds like you are saying that you have not come across a lot of roleplayers here that would blacklist somebody for a slightly iffy name like that? Is that a correct interpretation?

And yes, I have run into people like that in other games. :bouncy:

I admit I am more forgiving in this game simply because name change isn't an easy option without having to transfer servers; if the character is of a high level and obviously has some investment to it and that player has taken up role play, it's not a big deal.

But I am discouraged by a name of leet haxors and some such on a low level character. Granted they could have an IC name, but I as the person at the monitor can only remember so much about every acquaintance and it becomes clutter I have to remember instead of just getting lost in the moment and the persona of my character interacting.