Fourth wall type things

It usually depends on the person for me, and how comfortable I am around others! If it's someone new, I'll try to be formal with mistakes. If it's someone I am comfortable with, then I might joke around and tease!

This is about what I do. If I am comfortable or Rping with a bud I tend to slip a little bit of related humor.

I love it when people knock on the fourth wall. It's great when CC drops in lines from pop culture in a serious fashion like an Easter Egg. Tasty little eggs hidden around the Rock Horror Picture set...

I don't really care about doing corrections unless the statement is way too confusing without it; just doesn't seem that important to draw attention to otherwise.

I found most times when I make a mistake people won't notice it unless I point it out. People typically read what is intended anyway.

Especially in huge gatherings I have trouble reading as it is so let typos slide. Too much text to keep up with in those cases.

power.jpg

Wow what a great topic this is!

I'm probably in a minority that prefers as little taint as possible to the sense of immersion, though I don't mind allusions and references to things out of game - e.g. movies and novels and such as has already been mentioned.

Our company uses its /fc channel for (among other things) OOC commentary on RP and I often find this to be distracting and sometimes have to filter it. Other LS's I have/do belong[ed] to keep it all in the same channel. And this is okay too, but I've found that it sometimes causes a hiccup in the sense of immersion when all of the scene stops to sort of OOCly acknowledge a funny or what-have-you, and I usually feel an ambivalent blending of joy and annoyance at these things. On the one hand, it is funny and worthy of a chuckle. On the other, it also interrupted the scene. Ideally - and this is just one RPer's opinion - I prefer when footnotes are made and then the comment that potentially sparks the OOC dialogue is acknowledged as such later after the scene is over or on a forum post or such. But that is just me, and I'm well aware it's probably not the most popular opinion. I just don't like the breaking of immersion.

As for typos, they have never bothered me. We had a member in our XI group who butchered the english language with reckless abandon, but I understood her meaning almost all of the time, though she beat herself up about it and corrected herself a lot. And the corrections are more glaring/disruptive than the typo itself. So I am sometimes more troubled by the effort taken to correct the mistakes (which 99% of the time I think most people know what is intended anyway). I'm guilty of correcting my own from time to time, but I try to just let them go if they're not going to be confusing or something. If I misplace a character's name with another's or such though, I'll correct it.

There is one other sort of 'error' of which I find myself frequently guilty. We are a RPing couple and we sort of share both of our main characters. The mannerisms of one character (notably Ben for the handful who may have met him) are such that he speaks a particular way, and my fairer half has this down to a science where I still falter from time to time. Specifically the guy doesn't use contractions when he speaks and is very proper and that doesn't come as naturally to me.

Blynbhar: "I'll be there momentarily. Don't panic."

Blynbhar: ((*I will / *Do not))

Bugs me a little because when he talks it feels like it flows very naturally - for the character. But when I correct it (and I know he wouldn't speak with contractions like that) I feel like I'm casting a spotlight on it like it's weird or different, even though it's weird that he would say it the first way.

Anyway... great discussion so far!! I love reading everyones' opinions. :thumbsup: