Fourth wall type things

It's something I catch myself doing more often than not when noticing a spelling mistake or something not making sense: Rather than posting the seemingly-standard

Warren Castille: "My please to meet you."

Warren Castille: (pleasure*)

I tend to do something along the lines of

Warren Castille: "My please to meet you."

Warren Castille totally said "pleasure," your chatlog is drunk.

I was wondering how most people felt about this sort of thing: Immersion-annihilating? Entertainment for entertainment's sake? Don't even notice?

I don't even notice it.

Most of the times I don't correct my minor typos either, because either chat has scrolled by before I noticed it myself, or I just hope those I am roleplaying with will get the meaning.

I have also accidentally hit something like Circle of Scorn button while having a quiet conversation and have emoted:

Roen did not just do that.

Eh!

I think it's going to be based on personal flavor. I think your way is funny and I like it. Others won't. When the standard way happenes (and I do the standard way) it's easy to blow right past it without a second thought. Your way at least brings some life that and makes me actively read the log more.

Again, others might see it as too informal and such, but if we're not allowed to have a bit of fun roleplaying, then why are we doing it? :D

I don't think it's too big a deal. Everyone makes typos and while it's really funny sometimes, for the most part people can figure out what you're talking about when it's something small like that. Correcting it tends to be what makes it amusing. It never bothered me, and if I didn't understand I would ask.

I do like to point out errors such as allude and elude, but that's something I expect others to do in return and is not meant to be rude or snobby, even if it is.

As for that, the only thing I can see really ruining immersion are typos such as(And this was my favorite failure of mine):

He tried to read her expression, peeing under her bangs to see her indigo orbs.

I missed an R and it turned out to totally ruin immersion, but was very funny for the small group I was RPing with. So, it wasn't a big deal.

There was another one, from years ago, I just have to bring it up:

He held the cup so hard it began to crap.

It was supposed to be crack, but well... it was so funny we left it like that. Good times, but everyone fell back into it seamlessly enough.

If it's minor I usually just ignore it.  If it's potentially confusing I use the (*correction) style.  I don't really have any feelings about this.  I just wanted to be here in this thread with cool people.  It's so cold outside....

That's because you don't wear clothes. You can just buy shirts you know. Like at a store. For money!

If it's minor I usually just ignore it.  If it's potentially confusing I use the (*correction) style.  I don't really have any feelings about this.  I just wanted to be here in this thread with cool people.  It's so cold outside....

That's because you don't wear clothes. You can just buy shirts you know. Like at a store. For money!

Hoisted on my own petard. *slow clap*

Varies and depends on how serious the scene is and/or how distractingly humorous it would be to break the fourth wall at a given moment.

On that note, I... have a confession to make.

The original reason behind blaming Askier for everything was because the man is notoriously frequent when it comes to typos. His custom emotes, particularly the long ones, tend to be littered with them, and his propensity for making them is such that he might make one, go back to fix it with the standard (  *) format, and his "fix" will frequently, in and of itself, be a typo.

Ex:

Askier Mergrey turns and chcks the bom at Osric Melkire.

Askier Mergrey: chicks* ))

Askier Mergrey: bomb* ))

Askier Mergrey: chucks* ))

Quite a few of us hang out in Vent, and we started noticing a while back that our own mastery over the English language began slipping whenever he was present in-game. We'd start making our own typos, leaving out quotation marks, sending mistells, etc.

This only got worse, because it eventually progressed to the point where him just being present in Vent was enough to screw us over. That then progressed to someone merely mentioning him, to the mere thought of him, and finally just the mere fact of having associated with him was enough to have us butchering the English language.

We think it's some sort of disease that people contract once they come into contact with him; be warned.

So if you're ever walking around, and you see something along the lines of...

Osric Melkire: "That did not just happen.

Osric Melkire: " *

Osric Melkire blames Askier.

...now you know why.

Disclaimer: I share this story because A, I know Askier well enough to say with confidence that he'd get a laugh out of someone finally sharing this story rather than be pissed at someone taking the mickey out of him, and because B, my name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, son to a dying language and a creditor of many an OoC headache induced by IC events, and I will exact my vengeance, in this life or in RP.

I bang on the fourth wall all the time. I've directly quoted Monkey Island in context while in character before. I know it breaks immersion for some, but it amuses me. I do this for a couple of reasons:

1. The actual Final Fantasy series does it A LOT. Seriously HOW many times has Square made Star Wars jokes in a Final Fantasy game? Biggs, Wedge, Celes' rescue, the main cast of FFXII... And that's only off the top of my head. The FF games play with the fourth wall a lot, so it's something I consider genre appropriate when RPing in a FF game.

2. I find it funny, and I hope others do as well because I love to make people laugh. Why are we doing this if not to have a good time? I'm going to make the effort to be as entertaining as possible, and sometimes that might call for a joke. I do understand my sense of humor might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have no control over that.

OSRIC! 

You did NOT just modify-quote one of my favorite lines in a movie EVER!!

You did. DAMN YOU!

And... I have no other contribution to this thread, other than hanging out with other cool people like Whittledown. :D

...I'll go now.

OSRIC! 

You did. DAMN YOU!

And... I have no other contribution to this thread, other than hanging out with other cool people like Whittledown. :D

...I'll go now.

...AM I NOT MERCILESS?!

I honestly don't mind it.

I tend to pick up mannerisms from people and so I've started to do things like that where I either go ((*correction)) or /em totally did not just jump up and do that.

Either I just don't know who I'm with or I just take what feels like it works with those I RP with.

I enjoy flavor text. RP isn't really about immersion for me. I'm not sure if that's the right word. I really just enjoy having fun and telling a good story.

Maybe if it was constant sheathe/unsheathe/otherabilities I might think differently

((I am so sorry to Natalie, Chokho and Roen when I spilled club soda over my keyboard and my character was spazzing the whole time))

OSRIC! 

You did. DAMN YOU!

...I'll go now.

...AM I NOT MERCILESS?!

STOP. IT. !!!

Like Kage, I also tend to adapt myself to those around me. Typically I'll ignore graphical mistakes (hitting abilities, sitting on top of people, jumping, etc) because I automatically assume a wrong button was pressed or other RL circumstances. I do try to correct my own typos though, so as not to appear entirely illiterate.

Using an extensive, yet disesteemed vocabulary also diminishes the prospect of a person rebuking your mistakes.

I bang on the fourth wall all the time. I've directly quoted Monkey Island in context while in character before. I know it breaks immersion for some, but it amuses me. I do this for a couple of reasons:

1. The actual Final Fantasy series does it A LOT. Seriously HOW many times has Square made Star Wars jokes in a Final Fantasy game? Biggs, Wedge, Celes' rescue, the main cast of FFXII... And that's only off the top of my head. The FF games play with the fourth wall a lot, so it's something I consider genre appropriate when RPing in a FF game.

Yep. There's a lot of in-jokes in FF games, even XIV. :) I actually joke about keeping a score of how often L'yhta slips in IC-appropriate references to pop culture. Some examples include "Looks like we got here just in time! That makes us... big damn heroes!" and "This is the Stardust Rod, one of the most powerful rods in the world. It can blast a man's head clean off..." and "I can only show you the door; you have to walk through it." This works for her because the comments are entirely appropriate in timing and setting IC and because she's got a rather strange sense of humour. I don't generally do it in particularly serious or dark RP, but again, that's got a heavy IC component to it as well -- she's not going to quip when the chips are down and everyone needs to be serious.

In terms of what the OP was describing, though, I usually do corrections in OOC, but sometimes I'll stick some fourth wall commentary in emotes when there's some limitation in the game that's getting in the way and where the comment would be amusing. For instance, just the other night, I was crafting in the FC house, but I wanted to be doing it at one of our tables. So, I emoted, "L'yhta Mahre is peering through a pair of magnifiers, making a very tiny adjustment on a nearly invisible golden wire, and she's doing that at the table, not at a portable grindstone on the floor." As an additional example, we have a pair of benches that we use for seating at our main table. However, because of how they're placed, it's easy to end up having to jump on the table and walk backwards to sit facing the table, or to end up repeatedly facing away from the table. This has led to emotes such as, "L'yhta Mahre drops onto the bench, notably not by leaping up and down on the table."

So, in the end, as long as the OOC fourth wall comments don't end up dominating the conversation (and therefore break immersion), I'm fine with it. IMO, there's a fine line between being silly and being distracting. :) The IC stuff is, in my opinion, awesome as long as it doesn't end up feeling forced.

Kage does not understand where these quotes are coming from nor does Kage know the reference. At all. Nope. He does recognize that they are references but not what. So he shall just sit at work. Wishing he was a cool kid.

Totally got the Firefly one and The Matrix.

Not sure about Osric's though, which were the ones I was aiming for. Mostly >.>;

Speaking of the flavor text of FFXIV and movies...

I'm also expecting lots of Frozen jokes and references in FFXIV when Shiva starts getting more story time.

Totally got the Firefly one and The Matrix.

Not sure about Osric's though, which were the ones I was aiming for. Mostly >.>;

Speaking of the flavor text of FFXIV and movies...

I'm also expecting lots of Frozen jokes and references in FFXIV when Shiva starts getting more story time.

maximus-mask1.jpg

*swoon*

I like to make semi-OOC jokes in emotes while roleplaying. Not gotten any angry whispers about it yet!

Something I don't really like doing is bracket corrections in /say. If I make a typo I'll correct it in /em. 

Usually something like "Crisiet Liautroix did not just hand-spasm and definitely said [insert intended word here]." If it's not too bad or it's a grammar derp rather than a typo, "Crisiet Liautroix has a firm grasp of englandish." Or something equally silly. 

I find I'm happiest when I don't take anything too seriously. Some'll like it, some wont. Happens!

My character literally sells plot devices. My relationship with the fourth wall and preserving its structural integrity is, accordingly, quite spotty. Correcting a spelling mistake or a misunderstanding about something that was mentioned in a post hardly even rates.

Varies and depends on how serious the scene is and/or how distractingly humorous it would be to break the fourth wall at a given moment.

On that note, I... have a confession to make.

The original reason behind blaming Askier for everything was because the man is notoriously frequent when it comes to typos. His custom emotes, particularly the long ones, tend to be littered with them, and his propensity for making them is such that he might make one, go back to fix it with the standard (  *) format, and his "fix" will frequently, in and of itself, be a typo.

Ex:

Askier Mergrey turns and chcks the bom at Osric Melkire.

Askier Mergrey: chicks* ))

Askier Mergrey: bomb* ))

Askier Mergrey: chucks* ))

Quite a few of us hang out in Vent, and we started noticing a while back that our own mastery over the English language began slipping whenever he was present in-game. We'd start making our own typos, leaving out quotation marks, sending mistells, etc.

This only got worse, because it eventually progressed to the point where him just being present in Vent was enough to screw us over. That then progressed to someone merely mentioning him, to the mere thought of him, and finally just the mere fact of having associated with him was enough to have us butchering the English language.

We think it's some sort of disease that people contract once they come into contact with him; be warned.

So if you're ever walking around, and you see something along the lines of...

Osric Melkire: "That did not just happen.

Osric Melkire: " *

Osric Melkire blames Askier.

...now you know why.

Disclaimer: I share this story because A, I know Askier well enough to say with confidence that he'd get a laugh out of someone finally sharing this story rather than be pissed at someone taking the mickey out of him, and because B, my name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, son to a dying language and a creditor of many an OoC headache induced by IC events, and I will exact my vengeance, in this life or in RP.

Osric, I'm going to add "Grammarfailitis" to Jin'li's list of infectious disease. =p

Though, I don't know which is more embarrassing... the fact Osric spilled the secret or the fact that my university diploma hanging on the wall claims I have a degree in English Linguistics >.< Either way though, we find great amusment in it. :roll:

It's true though.  The amount of misspelled words and missing punctuation produced by the tips of my fingers -can- border on the ludicrous, but, personally, misspelling has never been a huge deal breaker for me when it comes to rp and posting in-game.

I mean, if it did bother me, I would be a raging hypocrite.  And two, I understand that some people, myself counted amongst them, often get overly eager to post a reply quickly to not keep people waiting and type faster than they should.  Full confession, this is why I make so many errors while posting,  but can write a book without them. Lol.

Only time typos are an issue is when the wrong message is conveyed and a correction is needed to get the original point across.  Otherwise, if I see a spelling error in another player's post, I say nothing.

As an aside, typos can often be hilarious. ;)

OSRIC! 

You did. DAMN YOU!

...I'll go now.

...AM I NOT MERCILESS?!

STOP. IT. !!!

Osric, you had best stop before Jin'li has to get all kind on your masked self :P