New Balmung RPer

I'm hoping to learn a lot about the game world before I do too much with my character. Any tips?

There are a few recommendations I would give. First and foremost, I would go through the story mode as you ponder your character. There's much lore to be had, though it is not quite as cemented as one may expect. Regardless, there is plenty of rich tidbits one can pick up through various quests and a bit of chatting and discovery.

Figure out what piques your curiosity most, and just start doing a little more research upon it. If you find it interesting, chances are there are many of like mind that would leave behind troves of valuable information to help you build and develop a character into the world in a way that appeals to you.

Also, don't be afraid to go up to people in game and tell them you're new, or even watch a bit of RP. Most people are relatively friendly and accommodating, and are willing to help out in some way.

Just play around! There's plenty of possibility, so you don't have to worry about trying a few things out before it sticks.

I'm hoping to learn a lot about the game world before I do too much with my character. Any tips?

Hey, Rocco; nice to meet you! :moogle: 

I just got on Balmung a couple days ago as well! Where are you starting out?

I'm not new to FFXIV, though, and I'd certainly suggest that if you're looking to learn some about mechanics of the game, I know I learned a ton about it from this site. I agree with Thaarus about experiencing the lore through the game and playing with things as they come up. However, I'll admit I've been having a blast reading through all the resources offered on this thread over the past couple days. :P

I've had success making a character at 7am Pacific on Balmung before. It's usually open at off-peak times, typically early in the morning or very late at night, with a few smatterings of afternoons if you're lucky.