An Unscheduled Luncheon [Completed]

Jancis leaned against the wall, partly dozing after the long night. The quiet sound of absent slurps, spoon clatters, and time together was strangely soothing. Despite the dire situation the moment was like the calm in the storm where the objective was simple and attainable.

It was frustrating, as a caregiver this was the only care she could truly give? Her thoughts wandered aimlessly until she heard paper rustle and the sound of writing, particularly Sir Castille's awkward scratchings, and she became more aware as Cici started to break down. Jancis looked over, concern unhidden in her eyes as she sat there in silence.

"I think... I would like to be alone for a time."

"Alright."

Jancis felt her side of the bed get closer to the floor as the large knight stood up. Standing, she silently followed him.

There wasn't much in the hallway. The occasional sound came from the kitchen and Jancis was glad the blood was gone from the wall. She mimicked Sir Castille, sitting down on her feet, a tiny molehill in comparison to him, and looked up.

Taking a deep calming breath she sat for a minute before confessing in her normal voice, "I have never seen such hatred before. Such a willingness to cause pain. I try to understand it, but nothing comes to me. Thaliak never felt so far away before."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once she was alone, her expression changed again. She arose from the bed and began to pace nervously around the room. Finally she spoke again at length, to nobody in particular.

"I do not know who you are, or what you want. I know you are listening. And I know that you are a coward who forces others to fight his own battles. Whatever you want with me, you could at least have the honor of telling me in person rather than sending your lackeys."

Warren turned towards Jancis, his expression plainly concerned.

"I don't know who it is or what they're after, but they made a mistake by involving her."

His voice remains low and quiet, one of certainty. "Thank you, by the way." He holds up his hands to reflect what he's talking about. "I don't do a great job of taking care of myself when I'm worried about everyone else. It's counter-productive."

"Thanks for being here for her. She's going to need friends."

Jin'li's head rose slowly as Croft spoke back, her voice entering his left ear via the pearl that connected him to all the collars. The miqo'te's onyx black eyes stared at the wall dully, his face devoid of any emotion as he spoke, his voice monotone, never once changing speed or pitch.

"Lady Croft, this humble slave owes you an apology. We were not aware that you had not been introduced to myself and my masters properly. Please forgive our rudeness. This slave is known as Jin'li, and I serve my masters most faithfully.  I regret I was not able to meet you in person but matters prevented me from meeting youdirectly, thus why we dispatched our associate. We wish to assure that it was not for a desire to be rude or cowardly that this slave did not meet with you, he was simply unable to be in all the places I needed to be at the same time. We hope that this explanation is to satisfaction and you can understand. Now then, Lady Croft, you were chosen to have the honor of wearing that collar because of your reputation and position.  You are said to be noble, righteous, kind, and a capable fighter. Someone we desired to aid us. You shall serve and be rewarded once my masters plans come to fruition. And my masters have informed me, you are to have a wonderfully important roll to play in the coming chaos. Does this please you Lady Crofte?"

"I dare say that is what I should be thanking you for." she commented. "She has built up the trust of enemies and friends alike, I believe, and they will come out into the Sun before the night comes. Though, forgive me Sir Castille, my concern for you grows in like."

Pursing her lips, she murmured another apology for talking to the knight so bluntly.

"I know not what you will do."

Warren listened to her with solemn regard.

"It hurts to see her like this. Someone's targeted her and I worry for her. She's strong, but..."

He trails off, lifting his hands uselessly and letting them drop. "If I can do anything to help her, I want to. To be honest, I'm afraid, too."

The corner of his mouth tucked to the side as Warren turned back to face Jancis, his usual demeanor frayed enough for her to see in. His voice dropped near to a whisper. "I don't know what I'm going to do, either."

"I have been a slave once, I did not much care for it."

She continued her pacing

"I may be your hostage, but I am not your servant. I care not for the 'kindness' of your masters. You no doubt know where I am. I shall remain here as instructed. I suggest you collect me while I am still cowed."

She sat once more on the bed.

Her fate would be in Od'hilkas's hands now.

Jancis' eyes grew wide, his tone giving her more than the actual words. It was enough to make her eyes shine in un-shed tears as sympathy flooded her mind.

Apparently the only thing bigger than the man was the burdens placed upon his heart.

It made her stand up, suddenly and awkwardly, so she was now the taller of the two. Placing her hand on his broken armor she gave him a shake, standing close enough should he need to lean on someone he was welcome to.

"Then there is not for us to know. The Twelve provide us each a path to follow and it seems yours are not fated to cross today."

"I know little of the Jewel," she confessed referring to the city of Ul'dah, "but I know something is amiss and it needs defenders. May chance you will have to tend to it and yourself first, Sir, before her. I dare say she would admit to the same were the situation reversed. You evoke the same mannerisms and fondness of her within me; so if my guess is off, do not hesitate to say so."

"My Lady Crofte," Jin'li replied slowly as he blinked. " we were unaware that your were once a slave. You and I share a bond then and this slave is pleased to know such. Though I fear you misunderstand. You are not our hostage. Lady Crofte you are our implement, to be weilded and pointed by our masters as they see fit. For the present time, they ask only that you rest for a few suns, to become accustomed to the collar and to be mentally and physically ready for the tasks to come. This slave shall contact you when it is time and we shall meet face to face and I shall reveal to you your purpose at that time. We hope this is satisfactory. However, if it is not, we apologize for the inconvenience but we will use you as needed. We trust you understand obeying, as a former slave."

She sat in silence for a few minutes before responding coldly.

"I understand."

With that she wrote two messages for her friends. She folded them and went to the hall. She handed the messages to each of them in turn and calmly said "Thank you for seeing to my well-being. I believe I shall retire early tonight.". With that she retreated though the door and latched it behind.

Jancis,

My dear sister. I cannot express my thanks for your help these past few days. I wouldst bid you return to your Alveo now. Do not fear for me, my course has been set by those of higher power. You must now accept your own fate, as I have mine.

CiCi

Ser Castille,

I will not deny my heart has felt greatly relieved at seeing you returned and alive. You must go now, for Ul'dah has need of you. Twelve willing, when we next meet it shall be to rejoice rather than weep. Know that my heart goes with you on this endeavor.

Coatleque~

Warren read and reread the letter after the door clicked locked before him. He had been sitting with Jancis quietly, his mind running through the dozen or so predicaments colluding at the time to keep his focus scattered.

He said nothing for a long time, his eyes just going over the script and he fought back the pressure in his eyes. Eventually he folded the note as best as he could and got wearily back to his feet.

"I'll take that healing now, Miss Milburga, if you don't mind." His voice was strained and near-silent. "Please."

Jancis stared at her own letter long enough, her lips pursed up. Cici knew her far too well: she knew Alveo would be beyond concern, she knew the conjurer would provide little help, she knew exactly what to say. And Jancis knew she was right.

She held back a sigh, keeping her braver face for Sir Castille's sake; she had said something similar to the knight herself so how could she complain being told the same in turn?

"Of course I do not mind," she replied quietly.

Out of basic hearing distance now from Crofte, and being told to leave as it was would not compromise the lady knight's position, Jancis began healing Sir Castille. She lost track of time as she worked through the words, regenerating the damaged frostbitten flesh on his extremities and doing what she could for the trauma his body experienced. Even though the worst of the damage had been partially repaired, it was obvious a lesser man would have perished or not been able to stand in the state the knight had been in. Jancis completed her work and leaned against the wall, exhausted from the task.

"Pray take care of yourself."

Warren kept quiet while Jancis set about the arduous task of mending him. She was methodical and worked diligently and without complaint despite the obvious wear it was placing on her. When she had finally finished, she looked like she was in need of a healer herself.

Don't let this be for nothing fix this you have to find a way

"Thank you, Jancis." His words were still quiet. The cleric's skills were able to mend flesh and heal wounds but these weren't the only things affecting him. He was strong bodily but not mentally or emotionally, though he set his jaw and tried to keep these thoughts far away from the surface. He'd been enough of a burden already.

"I'll come up with something. Oschon guide us both."

Coatleque blew out the lantern and curled herself into a ball. She softly sobbed herself to sleep alone in the inn room. Once again she belonged to another against her will. As sleep came her last thoughts were a prayer for guidance.

There was none.

Only darkness and silence... until morning.

[align=center]* * *[/align]

[align=center]III[/align]

Coatleque stood in her room at the Hourglass. The room provided her by Ser Castille for the week following the events at the Palace. She had just finished preparing for the day, dressed in her usual finery rather than uniform, she had intended to pick up her previous investigation as soon as she could. There were other people's lives still at stake after all.

She turned to leave, adjusting her beret, when there was a knock at the door. She paused momentarily almost unsure if she had heard it.

"Yes? You may enter!"

The door opens quietly and reveals Warren on the other side, clad in heavy armor and peering in curiously. He straightens visibly once he keys into her appearance and looks ahead.

"I was just checking in on you. If you were on your way out, I won't keep you." He maintains the facade of reporting guard on duty.

"Oh!", she started.

"No, I have time. Please... I had actually wanted to speak with you. I was unable to since Camp Drybone because... Well, you understand I am sure."

She crossed the room to the far side where a desk was set against the wall, her back turned to him. Looking down and to the side she continued. "I wanted to thank you for freeing me, Ser Castille. I am in your debt."

Warren nodded and stepped inside behind her, closing the door shut behind him and leaning against it. At once his demeanor changed, his gaze softening and concern overflowing the stoic expression.

"It was Askier's work. I was just doing what he showed me. There's no debt; your money's no good here." He tried a small smile, hoping it would come through in the playful teasing. She wasn't looking at him but he didn't want to set her at unease.

"I'm just sorry it had to happen at all. I could have done something, been there... Anything."

"The debt is more than one of mere gil, Ser Castille. I.. I had planned to die that night, twice over. You saved me from the the second fate." Her voice quivered at her own words. This was not the time to break down once more, however. She pushed the thoughts from her mind as best she could.

"It is not something we should be thinking of now, regardless. Forgive my dwelling on the matter. I should turn the topic to something surely more pleasant."

She turned to face him.

"You were to return to Coerthas, were you not? I had not heard news of the last expedition. I am sure the inspector was most helpful? Did you find your friends? Please say they are well."

Warren listened as she spoke, his spirits momentarily lifting as she turned the subject towards more pleasant things. Then she mentioned Coerthas and the joy ran from his face.

"My time in Coerthas is over, that much is certain. I met with the Inspector a fortnight ago, roughly, and..." He trails off, unsure how much of the tale to reveal. "I was a fool for suspecting him, but I learned the truth of the matter on account of it. I have no regrets in that light." His fingers twitched, thinking back to the burn that his muscles still remembered like phantoms sometimes in the moments before truly waking.

She crossed the room towards him as he spoke, trying to read his expression.

"If you do not want to tell me what happened, I shall not pry. Though I do sense some measure of betrayal was had. What of your friends though? You did not say if they were found. Warren?"

She attempted to meet his gaze with as caring and hopeful a look as she could muster.

Warren looks away, briefly trying to evade her gaze but the act speaking louder than words. He closed his eyes and sighed to himself, resigned.

"They left me halfway up the mountain. Drugged. It was the smallest of miracles I survived; Found by an escaping captive at the camp the Inspector delivered them both to." He hesitates, sparing an eye in her direction to appraise her reaction.

"They're being turned into living weapons. Likely have been by now, if the Inspector's words were true."

Coatleque listened to his words and looked away with eyes closed in thought.

"It seems we have both cheated fate then, for good or ill. Would that you were able to tell me sooner, I might have been there with you. I am sorry Warren."

She looked back to him. "But you do know they are alive at least. Does that not stir at least some hope?"

The paladin nodded at her question, his expression still one of conflict.

"It does. But it also conjures fear in me. The Inspector mentioned his son going through the same 'training' and it turned him into a hardened, uncaring murderer. The man I met in the hills was more than half-mad and was convinced the man running it was voidsent, and any who survived would return as demons."

He looked into her face plainly, his ever-present resolve having since faltered. "I don't know if they will return, or who they will be. I've failed them."

She could see his expression faltering, his will about to collapse. The pain of her own failings still too fresh in her mind, she scrambled for words.

Without thinking she reached out to him, to brush one of his braids from the side of his face. "You haven't failed anyone. Not them. Not yourself. Not me."