An Unscheduled Luncheon [Completed]

Coatleque relaxed just enough to smirk at his comment. She stood next to Warren and tried to slide her arm under and around his while holding the popotoes in her other arm.

"Why yes, I do believe that was implied. How could we turn down such an offer? It is a good thing Highlander men are not known for their vast appetites."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hot and dry?" She waves a hand, "Well you know what they say, it's always the darkest before you get laid." She taps her jaw, "Or something like that."

She walks with them towards the elevator, "As for paying..." She pulls out a slip of paper, "I have this!" Natalie exclaims proudly, "Won it last week. I was going to go with Kage, but he's been rather reclusive of late."

The paper is a ticket covered in small hearts.

[align=center]Free Lover's lunch[/align]

Let your love soar like an airship with this romantic lunch in the sky. Join us at the Airship cafe for an all expenses paid meal for two.

(Cannot be combined with any other offers, some terms and conditions apply)

She grins at the two, "Now, should I share this with Ser Vast Appetite, or would you like to?"

Warren took the ticket with his free hand, not minding the knight sliding closer to him in the meanwhile.

"Lovers...?" He read the ticket, studying it with a furrowed brow before looking up to the smiling miqo'te. "Why do I get the sense that you're not going to take 'no' for an answer?"

He looked in Coatleque's direction with an astonished expression. Didn't seem like there was a peaceable way out of this.

Coatleque watched the two in silence for a while until it became clear this would not be resolved without her input as well. She eyed the ticket, then the various bags the two of them carried, then looked back to Warren.

"Would it be proper for us to appear in this state? I'm sure they would be amicable to us storing your groceries in their lounge while we dine.", she replied with a hint of sarcasm.

The longer they stood the more her nervousness crept back out to her skin.

What are you doing here?

"Perhaps this offer would be best spent some other time, or on someone better suited to such notions, Ser Mcbeef. I believe he and I have some private matters to discuss first. Also, we are not..." She looked down at the ticket trying to read it from afar. "... Lovers. It would not feel right to fool the owners of this establishment in that regard."

Natalie chuckles, "Ah, but Ser Crofte, he already said he was quite hungry, it would be cruel to deny him now. As for the shopping, this is Ul'dah, and lunchtime, we won't be the only ones taking a break from shopping to eat."

She sighs and shakes her head, "But if you aren't interested, I guess Warren and I can use the ticket."

Natalie grins at Crofte, "A man can only deny his hunger for so long, after all."

Her courage quickly melting now she tilted her head while hefting the popotoes she carried. "Do not worry, he will not go hungry over long. And I'm sure Ser Castille will find a use for the ticket. He is most resourceful."

She turned her gaze to him once more, looking for some sort of affirmation in all of this.

Natalie sighs softly, before smiling and taking it back, "It's a shame, you both looked rather hungry."

She steps away, "Though I think you'll break your fast before too long."

She walks away humming, "Well Kage will be happy at least."

As Natalie walked off, Coatleque seemed to breath another sigh of relief. She met Warren's gaze and offered the suggestion, "Perhaps we should go somewhere quieter?".

She needed to know the details. Things better said in private so the wrong person did not overhear. And also to be alone. It suddenly felt like every stranger who walked by was casting their eyes upon her with an accusing glare.

The pair walked in silence through the rest of the city, arm in arm. She did not look at him. She couldn't. The accusing glare of imaginary strangers pressed down on her from all angles as the sun approached noon overhead. Eventually they had reached the Goblet. As they quietly walked through the Brimming Heart, Warren finally broke the awkward silence with a sigh of relief.

"It's just up ahead."

A few moments later they were standing in front of the hall. "This is the place.", he said as he quietly opened the doors and let them both inside. He immediately went to work shelving the various goods and foodstuffs into the pantry. The bag of heavy bottles he quietly shoved behind it before she would notice them. He could sort those out later.

She stood just beyond the threshold just looking about the room, taking in the new scenery.

"It's not very homey, I suppose. I'm sorry."

"Oh, no, it's... lovely.", she replied.

"It works for what I need it to be."

He smiled at her as he strode back across the room. Taking the popotoes from her he turned back to the pantry to find a place for them. "Thank you for coming with me. It feels... I'm not used to talking to people in here."

She watched him as he went about his business, not quite sure what to make of this new side of Warren she hadn't seen before. For a moment he seemed less like a mountain and more like... a man. A simple man.

"You are alone here?", she asked him at length.

"I was. Howl stays here now, too.", he replied while turning to face her. His eyes seemed to sparkle as he spoke the words. "He came back! Oh, Twelve above, I didn't get a chance to mention it. He came home and is doing okay!"

Her eyes also lit up at the news. "Warren, that is wonderful to hear! But... he was alone?" She suddenly felt weary from their walk and found herself glancing to the table and chairs at the side.

He saw her glance and immediately felt a pang of guilt for not having thought sooner. "Oh! I'm sorry. Please, have a seat. Not very comfortable, but..." With that he turned back to the cupboards to prepare some lunch. "Did you want anything? You've seen the extent of my stocks now."

"Thank you.", she replied as she chose a seat by the corner of the long table.

"Just something light, if you are preparing."

He continued looking through cabinets, retrieving a few dishes. "He came alone. Said they both made it out, but..." He shook his head as he looked through the bottles. "She's not herself anymore."

There was a brief silence.

"I am sorry, Warren.", she said as she removed her white beret. It was gently placed on the chair to her right. She straightened her dress and pulled her hair behind her shoulders as he strode across the room to join her. He set down a pitcher of water, a plate of mild cheeses, and bowl of light breads. "It's... It's alright. She's alive, so there's that." He tried to force a smile for her. "It'll be alright."

"Yes.", she replied suddenly feeling quite guilty. "But... for more than just that."

"Hm?"

"I am sorry for... how I acted when we last spoke."

He held up a hand to her as if to ward off what was coming. "You're a good person, Cot. I don't blame you for being... upset with me." He had to pause to choose his words. She glanced to him, then let her eyes slowly trail back to the table.

"I should have at least heard you explain though. I know you better than to assume you acted on malice alone... that you were not somehow justified."

"I'm afraid that would be worse. Whatever you're thinking happened... it's likely worse." He could not hide the guilt in his eyes, but continued to hold his gaze in her direction. His words had cut her again though, regardless of his intent. Her body tensed as she considered walking away once more. She fought it, with every onze of her being.

"Please, do not tell me that. Not now. I will not press the matter further. I cannot."

He did not look away from her. For some reason his gaze held. "I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to deceive you. I don't want you to think I'm something I'm not. I..." His hands fumbled nervously with themselves on the table, his mouth hanging open uselessly as he ran out of words.

Her eyes trailed slowly back to him as they started to glaze over. "And what pray tell, do I think you are?"

"A liar. Someone pretending to be good. You've seen my temper, you warned me about giving in to the beast. I..."

"Twas a dream, Ser Castille... only a dream. But you... you are not."

She found herself looking into his eyes now, with the same fear behind her own.

"I did an awful thing, but I did it in the hopes it would allow me to do some good with it. I was willing to sacrifice that to bring them home. It didn't matter, though... it didn't change anything." He looked as if he was on the verge of breaking down himself.

This had to stop. They were going in circles together once again. Coatleque found Aya's words coming back to her from the night before. She did not want to admit their truth, but the heaviness of her own heart could no longer deny it. Neither of them could continue as they were.

"Warren..."

She leaned forward slowly, sliding her hand across the table to his. He continued to hold her gaze. Warren took a deep breath and managed to fight off the first shuddering sob. His hands turned upwards and needily found hers. She tried her best to keep her composure even as her voice shook. "I will still bear these burdens with you... if you would have me."

He squeezed her hand and gave her a conflicted expression. "...Even still? You...?"

"No one can stand alone overly long... Not you, nor I."

They both paused for a moment.

"Those few nights ago, I thought I would die in the Palace. I had intended to. I am... not ready yet. Not like this."

He shook his head at her words, his voice rising as he interrupted. Defiance and anger flashed on his face.

"I wouldn't let you. I wouldn't let them take you, not like that. No one deserved that, especially not you."

His voice quieted, but he was no less resolute as he continued to squeeze her hand. "They can't have you."

She tried to blink, and her eyes began to flutter as they welled up. "I know you wouldn't... I know. I..."

This is happening too fast... what are you doing?

Her hands withdrew suddenly as if she had just remembered something important. She sat back up with a light gasp. Warren looked away, his own hands starting to reach for her, but then withdrew back to himself. "I... I'm sorry."

"No... No, it's not you...", she replied. This was going to be hard, but it had to be done. She owed him this much at least... yes, he had to know the truth.

"I must also be fair... you need to know."

"I don't understand...?"

Her eyes closed as she breathed deeply. "About me." He gave her a concerned look, not entirely understanding her meaning, but remained silent.

"I... I am no Lady, Ser Castille. Five years ago... I was a slave."

His brow furrowed and his hands tensed, but he remained silent as she spoke.

"I was forced to... serve. At the Red Sands, in Ul'dah."

He needed no further explanation after that. "Oh gods, Cot... I'm so sorry..." His eyes flickered to her hands, wanting to take them again, but he resisted. She, on the other hand, had begun to wring them together as her tears began to roll down her face.

"Three years, Warren... for three years I..." Her voice cracked and she could say no more.

"I am sorry. You... you needed to know... deserved to know... what I've done."

With that Warren rose and slid his chair around the table to sit next to her. He pulled her against him and she did not resist. Her shoulders shook as she lost any composure she had left. "I would understand if you never wanted to see me again. I am... used property. And that... does not sell... in Ul'dah."

Her words were slow and forced. The last sentence was finished as if it had been burned into her mind from some outside source. A phrase she had been forced to repeat countless times under pain of harsh treatment.

A hand gently ran down the side of her head, fingers sliding into her hair. "Shhh, it's alright. It's okay. I promise." She leaned into him, the intended comfort of his words only adding to the emotional onslaught. She sobbed into his shoulder. "I'm so sorry."

He pulled her into a full embrace, wrapping his arms around her firmly with his hand resting against the back of her head. "Don't apologize. You're one of the most wonderful people I know. Don't you apologize for that."

"How can I be?", she choked through her tears. "Whores are not wonderful people..."

"You're not a whore.", he continued. "You are Sultansworn, you're the very backbone of their public appearance. You're a defender of those in need. You're beautiful, Cot, and you're many wonderful, truly amazing things. But whore isn't one of them."

She sat there with him for a few more moments until her tears subsided. "Thank you." she managed to say through a shaky whisper. She continued to lean against him under his embrace, her shoulders heaving occasionally. "Does this change... anything?"

"...Yes.", he replied. He leaned back and gently lifted her face towards his, looking into her eyes with a smiling kindness. "For you to have overcome that, and still be someone so virtuious and inspiring... You're more amazing than I realized."

She stared into his eyes, her own now red and glassy from crying. Her mouth opened as if to say something, but she could not speak. She could only stare. At length she managed another whisper. "Warren?" His eyes flicked back and forth between her own. "Y-yes?"

"Would you... still have me?"

Caught in the gravity of the situation, his mouth was unable to form words but he nodded in tiny, decided motions. He leaned in towards her, eyes lost hopelessly in hers. She found herself leaning towards him as well, head slightly tilted. Her eyes closed as their lips met.

They remained there for a moment as his arms tightened around her, hers wrapping around him in return as best she could. She turned her head away and rested it against his shoulder. "Thank you..." she whispered once again. His head rested against hers as he returned the same sentiment. "Thank you. For everything."

She did not want to move. She wanted to stay there forever. Eventually the awkwardness of the chair gave way and she had to withdraw to sit straight once more. Her hands slid down his arms to meet his own. He was slow to let her pull away from him but settled for her hands as well, taking them in his own and running his thumbs across her palms. He could not help but smile at her as if some enormous weight had finally been lifted. She felt the same.

Coatleque tried to laugh. After having just been crying it came out as an embarrassingly blubbering giggle. For the first time since she could remember, she had nothing to say. Looking at him now all she could do was be honest. "I don't know where to go from here..." His smile only widened. "Me neither..."

Looking over the table she realized they hadn't even touched the food. "Oh... Oh! But you must be starving by now!"

"Hm?" He had genuinely forgotten about any of that. "I feel fine. Better than fine."

She withdrew her hands and wiped her eyes with her glove. "Nonsense, you should eat... and I... well... I must be ready for my usual duties." His smile turned slightly sad. "Are you sure...?"

"Aye... for once, I am very sure. But, I shall see you again soon, yes?"

"Of course you will. And far be it from me to stand in the way of a Sultansworn." He stood and offered her his hand which she gratefully took. Using his strength as leverage she rose beside him and thanked him for the gesture. He looked down at their joined hands once again and embraced her one last time, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "Mm."

Coatleque sighed contentedly before heading towards the door.

"I'll miss you. Reach out if you need me, okay?"

"I shall, as always. Until later, Warren?"

He smiled at her once more hearing her use his first name. "Be safe, Cot. Go save the world."

She returned his smile before leaving. For the first time since they met, she did not part from him with her usual bow.

Warren remained frozen after the door clicked shut. He was in awe, partially numb feeling as good as he remembered in recent memory. It was like feeling the sun again. Eventually he sat himself back at the table and then noticed she had left her beret behind. He gingerly picked it up and held it. He stayed that way for some time, unable to wipe the smile from his face.

[align=center]***[/align]

[align=center]V[/align]

The sounds of combat rang through the air, bleeding together, joining into a singular throbbing ring in her ears. Time had once again slowed, and vision was obscured through a haze. She was crawling slowly across the floor, her blood leaving a trail behind. As her strength failed and she leaned over she could feel the pressure of the blade trying to force its way further in.

Unknown voices assaulted her senses as her world began to spin. Accusing, hateful, spiteful, all aimed at her. She had failed in her oath; Her life was now forfeit. She knew her faith was not strong enough. Her curse would never be lifted now. She was to die alone and scorned by the Lover. The fate she had deserved.

As the dream began to fade the final haunting accusation lingered in an angry yet motherly voice. "You do not deserve... to love."

Coatleque awoke once more in a cold sweat, grasping at her mid-section. She was no longer startled by the dreams as she had been, but the pain was growing worse. Glancing around her inn room she realized the night was not yet half through this time. She sat up and sighed, still nursing a phantom wound. There would be no further sleep this night.

Throwing a heavy robe about her nightgown she summoned the night attendant and requested hot tea. A few minutes later she sat in front of the vanity inhaling its fragrance by the light of a dim lantern. It had the calming effect she desired, and she began to think of sleep once more, until the voice returned to her thoughts. Her hand trembled and she was forced to set the cup down lest she spilled it.

She stared at her reflection in the mirror before her. She had not slept in days it felt. She could see it under her own eyes now. Overcome with a sudden sorrow she rose and moved across the room to the bed. Kneeling over the side she cried out.

"What do you want?! What could you possibly want from me?! How have I slighted you that you wouldst torment me this way?!" There was no answer, of course. There never was. Only a mocking silence and an imaginary whispering laughter.

As she stood once more her gaze fell to the bed. She had left the covers thrown aside. The pillows were crooked, sheets crumpled, and a damp spot from the small of her back when she woke in her sweat. She turned, looking across the room to her reflection once more. Her hair was disheveled from tossing in her sleep.

As the scene settled into her mind she began to understand. She had never learned to worship Her properly.

"It is as you feared, Ser." The night attendant who saw to guests' late night requests delivered the news with a steady expression. She was too professional to display vivid emotion but Warren picked up on the look in her eyes. Remorse, pity, sympathy.

"Alright." He exhaled through his nose, not quite a sigh but similar enough to be mistaken. "Thank you for checking on her."

The Quicksand was near-empty, as it always was in the middle of the night. Warren had occupied a seat near the bar and thought briefly on the fact he was permitted to know these things.

Likely Aya's blessing.

He turned halfway to look over his shoulder at the pillar. Declarations of love, hastily-scrawled confessions and numerous groups of letters adorned it. Their numbers grew every day, but Warren knew where one specific group was carved in.

"She requested tea. Would you like to take it to her...?" Warren's attention snapped back to the front. He didn't notice the woman return.

"I think it's best if you do it. I won't have her feeling guilty for worrying me." He shook his head and declined.

"With respect, Ser, I do not think that is what she would feel." Still, the woman curtsied and stepped away to deliver the cup.

It wasn't until she returned that Warren made his way through the Hourglass to her door. He paced outside of it and flinched when he heard her plea and felt it rip through him like shards of glass. He stood at the doorframe and contemplated whether or not to make his presence known.

Idiot.

He knocked twice quickly, then straightened his tabard as best he could.

The unexpected knocking startled her from the scene. She pulled her robe closed and tried in vain to comb her hair with her fingers to look somewhat presentable. Who on earth would be seeing her at this hour anyway? Someone must have heard her cries, and she cursed herself for a moment of weakness.

She moved to the door and slowly opened it a crack as she looked around the edge.

"Yes? Who is it?"

Seeing Warren there she closed the door again and turned about, searching for words. What could he possibly be doing here at this hour? Why did she have to be in this current state? Why did she just close the door on him?

She turned back and opened the door again, letting it swing back.

"S-ser Castille. Shouldn't you be home at this hour?"

Warren's expression softened when he saw her peer through the crack at him, and then before he could say anything the door slipped shut. He stood there gobsmacked for a moment.

see she doesn't want you here what are you doing you shouldn't be

The door opened again and silenced the whispers.

"I, erm. I wanted to check on you. You said you weren't sleeping well, I... Was standing by downstairs. Just in case. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have bothered you..." He fought the urges to just turn and leave, but there was a weariness in her face and eyes that made him unable to abandon her.

Send him away, this isn't right! You're not even dressed!

"You never bother me.", she said as she turned and moved to sit on the bed once more.

"Though it is curious you would return after seeing me off earlier tonight. Not that I am weary of seeing you, I mean... I just hadn't expected this, is all." She tried to gather her thoughts but felt as if she was just sinking into a deeper pit. She sighed.

"My dreams have been vivid of late. I find it harder to sleep again once they wake me."

Realizing her rudeness she looked back to him standing at the door.

"Please, come in."

Warren stepped inside quietly and closed the door behind himself, though he remained in its proximity.

"I technically didn't leave, so I can't return, not exactly." He admitted his part with a slow start. "I hung around the Quicksand in case anyone else turned to trouble, then just... stayed."

He folded his hands across his stomach and stood at attention, still fidgeting with his tabard. "I'm sorry your sleep is restless. Were I able to relate, I would hope to have some advice, but..." He trailed off uselessly and frowned. "All I can offer is company, or someone to lean against the door." Warren smiled a little and hoped it would be contagious.

Despite herself, she couldn't stop from smiling at him. She knew his offer was genuine but also worried for his own sleeplessness.

"I can not ask you to stay...", she said at length. "But I am also loathe to send you away. It does give me comfort to know you are near to me." She couldn't expect him to stand guard over her. She was not some person of interest or prisoner to be watched and waited upon. Yet what other reason did he have to be here then?

"Do you read, Ser Castille?"

Warren wasn't sure how to follow the change of conversation but trusted there was a reason she had asked. He nodded, seeming to relax in the wake of her smile.

"I can, if that's what you mean. Books worth keeping tend to be heavy and the traveling lifestyle forces you to carefully weigh what you want to bring. I'm mostly settled now, obviously, but the habit dies hard. I have some things back at the Duskbreak, mostly historical ledgers and the sort. I'm not nearly as sophisticated as people make me out to be."

He smiled again, pausing then returning the question. "And you?"

She rose from her seat and moved to the dresser where she had some personal belongings. Atop of it was a worn leather book about six by four ilms in size. She took this and turned to Warren, extending it to him.

"Perhaps you would read to me? I should like to hear your voice."

The expression of shock gave way to something more tender, nearly vulnerable. He smiled and shook his head, then began to undo the fastenings keeping his gauntlets secure.

"I'd be honored to." He made short work of the task and received the book, indicating the bed while pulling a chair up to the side of it. He adjusted himself so the candle light would fall on the pages but not the pillows and thumbed through. It was a collection of short stories, it seemed, and the book was well-loved.

"Any one in here you'd like to hear specifically?" His tone was gentle and unguarded, more man than mountain.

Suddenly nervous, she turned her back towards him as she untied her robe. "I have enjoyed them all. I would like to hear your choice, however." Removing her robe, she let it hang on the bed post, then slipped back under covers wearing nothing but her nightgown.

She laid on her side facing him, covering up to her midsection. Her arms were folded to the side as she watched his face flickering in the candle light.

The knight afforded the Lady her privacy, keeping his attention squarely on the contents of the book in front of his face. He flipped through the pages and stopped on the first break he came across, then began reading with great attempt to keep his voice low and quiet.

He spared a glance from time to time when looking up from his place, making sure to fix his gaze firmly on her face as he tried to make her feel comforted. The story was one she would have been familiar with, given the wear of the book itself, but he told it as if it was a new tale to be heard, mostly because he himself didn't know how it would turn out.