An Unscheduled Luncheon [Completed]

She watched him for a time, listening to his voice until his words began to string together. Her eyes grew heavier. It wasn't fair. For once she didn't want to fall asleep. Her body had other plans, however, and he wasn't even a quarter through the story before she drifted off.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren continued reading until he was sure she was asleep, the gentle rise and fall of her chest slipping into a rhythm that only gave the faintest pause when he closed the book and carefully set the tome beside the candle. He doused the light with a pinch of two fingers and then gingerly drew the covers up over her shoulders.

"Good night, Cot." Warren whispered with a small smile on his face.

It was nearly mid morning when she had finally awoken. Slowly turning over she looked towards the place she remembered him sitting, but he had already gone. She laid there for a few moments longer just gazing at the chair until she deemed it time to make herself useful once more. Getting out of bed, she put on her robe and surveyed the room.

The book had been returned to the armoire. Next to it was a silver tray with a muffin on a plate, some juice, and a single Nymeia Lily. She took up the lily and held it to her face. She smiled as she slowly twirled it in her fingers.

[align=center]***[/align]

It was about mid-day she received an odd letter. Standing in the street she broke the seal and unfolded it to read.

Lady Crofte,

I have to admit, I find myself rather, perturbed by you. I learn of your collaring from Ser Warren, bring him along to recover the needed tool of your removal, teach him how to remove a collar and set you free, and in return for my aid, you imprison Roen, and now have a dog named Gaspard sniffing where he shouldn't be.

I find this ironic.

I happen to visit the bar in the airship landing most evenings as I cannot stand the Quicksand and their prices. Should you happen to be in the area and see a Miqo'te with blue and gold hair, you should stop by and have a chat. I have so much to say about both Roen and your dog.

[align=right]~ Askier Mergrey

Bomb Maker Extraordinaire ~[/align]

"There go any plans for this evening.", she said to herself.

It was later that afternoon she let Warren know as well. He had insisted on being present and she was of no mind to refuse him. Together they sat quietly in the lounge, waiting. It became apparent the man was not going to show himself now. Finally, she worked up the courage to break yet another awkward silence.

"Your presence has helped me sleep on more than one occasion now. I... I am almost scared to spend the nights alone now.". Warren seemed lost in thought. "... Coerthas? I was worried I would wake you. And if you like, I'll stand watch over you. Erm, for you. Uh... I'll stay."

"No, I cannot ask you to lose sleep as well."

"I'm used to scrimping. Honestly, sleeping full hours is throwing me off."

She brushed her bangs back only to have them fall forward again. "What I mean to say is, you cannot stay awake all night."

He looked away with an odd expression of shyness about him. "Erm... if need be, I'll prop myself by the door." His words trailed off, dying in his mouth as his eyes caught hers once more. She immediately looked away suddenly feeling very shy herself. Her voice lowered and went very soft. Almost to herself she said "You dinnae have te sleep on a chair."

"...well...", he grinned bashfully as he pushed his braids out of his face. "I... would like that." She smiled back to him as she tried to gauge his intent behind his eyes. "So... ye would have me?", she asked. His expression changed many times at the question, turning from a smile to a shy glance, back to a smile again. It was rather unbecoming of a knight to be at such a loss for words. He glanced at her once more then looked down toward the table. "If... If I may?"

"Ye already do.", she replied.

There was another long silence as they both scanned the room once again looking for Askier.

"Perhaps you will read to me again tonight?", she asked.

"It would be unfair to leave the story unfinished.", he answerd.

"Mm. Perhaps it will have a different ending this time."

More silence.

"Where is Askier, damn him!"

"Yes, it's rude to keep a lady waiting!"

Standing once again in the Quicksand later that night, Coatleque was speaking to a curious Miqo'te by the railing when she heard a familiar voice in her ear. "Lady Crofte? Are you on duty?". It was the lalafell stationed at the prison. "Aye, I'm always on duty.", she replied. "We have a bit of a situation here. You should probably get here, now."

"Aye, I shall be there shortly."

She apologized to the woman and excused herself from the room. As she made her way towards the palace her heart almost sank. She found herself quickly making an excuse into a separate linkpearl. "Ser Castille... it appears I am needed in the palace tonight. I do not know when I will be free once more, but I shall have to hear the end of your story another night." She grumbled. This had better be damned important.

Warren ignored the hushed whispers and stifled giggles as he made his way to Coatleque's room. She was off on duty but apparently there wasn't a soul in Ul'dah who didn't already know what was going on. He hardly had to ask to be admitted to the place she was staying and he wondered if he was overstepping a boundary.

You're just waiting. You have a story to finish, and she specifically asked you to. You're not doing anything unwarranted.

Still, he felt like he was skulking about. To make amends for it he remained in his armor, braced the chair against the far wall away from the bed and armoire and settled in. The hour was late, but he would wait for her. That's what he was telling himself when he drifted off, at any rate.

Coatleque slowly made her way down the hall to her room. It was late now, almost the last bell. She had seen to her ward as she was used to, had her meeting with Mergrey and his hired muscle, and was now ready to attempt sleep once more.

Entering her room, she did not bother to even look around. Her eyes adjusted to the dim light as she moved straight to the bed and began unbuckling straps and clinking scales. She did not want to be alone again tonight, but perhaps her dreams would be kind. She sighed and turned towards the bed while fumbling with a strap that would not come loose.

Warren only came to his senses when he heard the slight sigh of discontent. His head jerked up with a start and he was at first more confused that he'd fallen asleep, but once he knew where he was and what the shape on the other side of the room was he felt a clutch of panic rise in him.

He sat upright, undoubtedly making enough noise to be noticed as he held his hands up to block his own view. For good measure he jerked his head to the lowest, furthest corner of the room and tried to see through it to the ground floor below. His attempts at words came out as a useless collection of surprised noises.

Unawares of another presence in her room, to say she was surprised would be an understatement. There was a quick flash and sound of steel as she turned about with her sword raised parallel to the ground. She did not call out or speak as her heart raced, but stared for a moment till her sight caught up to her reflexes.

Her sword lowered slowly. "Ser Castille? Twelve preserve me, what are you doing here?!"

Realize how incredibly off-putting she must look, she sheathed the weapon and promptly removed it from her belt, leaning it against the armoire.

Warren knew what an unsheathing sword sounded like and he knew she knew how to use one. He cringed and waited for the sound of her crossing the room but she didn't. There was a moment that took an eternity to pass before she spoke his name, and he looked up from his corner sheepishly.

"I... meant to wait. I drifted off, I suppose. I'm sorry." His tone was equal parts embarrassment and guilt. "I wanted to finish the story. I promised."

His eyes were adjusted enough in the dark for him to recognize her shape and he stood, letting his hands fall to his side. "Forgive me for startling you. I didn't mean to."

She looked at him with equal parts anger, embarrassment, and longing as she considered his words. Anger at herself for reacting as she did. She had been delayed last night, and he was making sure it would not happen again this night. That same shyness she had felt before came over her and she smiled at him.

"You are forgiven, of course. I am... happy you are here, Warren. I was not looking forward to another night alone. What I mean is, I would like to hear the end of the story."

She turned back towards the bed and continued fighting with straps, trying to remove the burdens she'd been wearing all night now.

Warren smiled when she received him and the pang of fear receded. It faded to a nervous expression when he saw her fighting with the armor. He absently folded his hands atop one another, fidgeting.

"I... erm." He paused to clear his throat and when he tried again his voice was quiet and subdued. Vulnerable. "I could... help. If you, if you wanted."

What are you saying gods above you're an idiot you're going to offend her

She stood there for a moment and the strap popped free in her hand, yet she was unable to move. Her thoughts began to race. Suddenly she pulled it tight once more and secured it again. Turning around she took a few steps and heard herself speaking softly. "I cannae seem te get this one..."

Warren was unable to look away as she turned to him, the bits of her formidable emotional armor sliding away as she spoke with the voice he was coming to believe was her true one. She'd already removed the tabard and outer portion of the scale that helped make up the surcoat, but she had been fiddling with the leather that helped bind the layers and pauldons together. Warren was long accustomed to the methods of removing the heavy bits of metal but he'd always taken for granted the location of where those straps converged. For him it was approximately his solar plexus, and while the spot was the same on her...

With an absentmindedness, Warren removed his gauntlets and set them aside as he had the night before. "It can... be tricky." He exhaled the last word, his mind screaming at how dumb he sounded, at how he shouldn't be presuming, about how

"Let me." He gave a smile that he couldn't be sure existed in the dark and reached for the strap, taking a deep breath as his fingers touched the leather band.

warm

He was surprised that it came undone so easily.

not the same remember you're bigger everywhere well mostly gods

He couldn't pull his gaze away from her eyes and his expression was still that of amazement, confusion and something innocent. He suspected they bore the same look at that point.

"There."

breathe are you breathing gods Warren get it together WHAT ARE YOU A CHILD AGAIN

"That should do it."

With the most tentative grasp he thought he could muster, he reached for the pauldrons to help free the surcoat from her entirely. Unless he missed something, it should have slipped off with the straps down.

Now free of the bulk of her armor, she was still clothed in the typical white cotton padded shirt worn underneath. She took the surcoat from him and moved back across the room to place it on an armor stand.

Laughing nervously she looked back towards him and said "I can probably get the rest." Being a smaller room, there was no screen provided. She looked around with a blank expression. "Umm..."

Warren was a fool, but he was no fool. Once her intent was clear, he turned around to the corner and put his back facing her. His gaze ran up the the side to where the walls met the ceiling and he exhaled long and slow.

"Sorry..." He didn't mean to intrude, and collected his gauntlets. Warren hesitated from replacing them, but seemed to need something to do with his hands so he collected the armor and held them, touching his wrists together in front of himself and absolutely unsure of what he was supposed to do.

Luckily she was used to doing this herself on a daily basis. It did not take her long to change into her nightgown. She sat on the bed when finished with her legs curled behind her, leaning on one hand.

"I am decent.", she said.

She watched him across the room.

"You are going to read to me wearing that?"

The words didn't seem to register to him at first. He turned when she gave the clear but her follow-up threw Warren for a loop and he had to stop himself from double-taking and examining himself.

Don't put the gauntlets back on you idiot

He watched her for another infinitely long moment before voicing himself. "Would... You like to help?" He smiled shyly once the words were out of his mouth. It wasn't that he couldn't do it himself, but he knew she'd never ask of her own accord.

She gave him an incredulous look with widening eyes as she placed her other hand over her chest. "Ser Castille! That would hardly be lady-like!"

She waited another moment before continuing. "I shall at least afford you the same privacy." With that she rolled over to sit and face the other direction.

What were you expecting?!

He nodded, looking away and mumbling something nearing an apology. Warren immediately turned back away and looked to that spot where the walls and the ceiling aligned, trying to ignore the voices in his head giving words to his fears.

The motion was habit by now. His hands undid buckles and clasps, removing the restraints that kept his armor intact and locked together. It was only a moment before he tugged at the metal collar of the surcoat and lifted the garment over his head. It took half of his shirt with it, the bottom edge lifted up over his shoulders as well. It was just the practiced motion of his arms that kept the cloth around him and he settled the heavy chain and scale accompaniment over the back of the chair. It wasn't a proper rack but it would do.

He righted the errant shirt and then began to unbuckle his boots, but then paused. Warren started to turn over his shoulder but stopped short.

"Boots, too?" He was suddenly aware how lacking the clothes he wore under his armor were.

She turned her head enough to see him out of the corner of her eye.

"By all means, make yourself comfortable. You have quite a bit to read and it is already late. I should like to hear the ending tonight." She had scooted herself further to the other side leaving as much of the bed behind her as she could.

You're an idiot an idiot IDIOT IDIOT

"Alright." Warren allowed himself a small smile but couldn't shake the feeling of embarrassment.

You fight half-naked at the Grindstone! What's your problem?!

By the time he had removed all of his armor he was standing in front of the most well-protected chair Eorzea had ever seen. He finally turned to face Coatleque and folded his hands in front of himself again.

"...may I sit?" He gestured to the free space on the bed, the only other surface in the room. For some reason, his thoughts turned back to eating soup.

Warren took a tentative seat on the bed. The tension in the air was practically a tangible thing and he felt his heart threaten to seize when he displaced the mattress enough that she moved in his direction slightly. The book was on the armoire just out of reach.

Forget about the damned book! You idiot!

Warren took a deep breath and reached out his hand, setting it gently atop Coatleque's fist. He tried to get her to release her fingers and soothe her.

Don't read a story. Write one.