Moving to AWS: Downtime notice

It's finally time to complete the move of the site over to AWS (this post talks about the how and why, if you hadn't heard). This will require a few hours of downtime so I can grab a consistent snapshot of the site database and uploaded files. My last snapshot was from the middle of July, so it's out of date, but that should reduce the duration of the downtime.

Currently, I'm planning to take the downtime this Saturday, around 4:00pm Central time (UTC-5). We don't get a lot of traffic on Saturdays, since people are actually playing the game then. :) I expect the downtime to last about 4 hours, but it might go longer depending on how slow our current host is. Today, for instance, it's dragging really badly.

Please be prepared for weirdness and broken things even once the site comes back up over on AWS. While I've tested most of the common use cases (uploading files, reading and posting, etc.), any complex site move is likely to result in some "fun" -- especially when we're also jumping PHP versions and server platforms (from Apache to nginx with FastCGI). If something blows up for you, first, wait until I post saying that the move is complete and I'm ready for bug reports. Then, if the problem persists, just drop me a PM (assuming PMs aren't what's broken :) ) with what you're doing and the exact error message that you got.

After everything is stable, I'll begin the process of upgrading our software and moving directories around to their final locations on the server. Once that's complete, I'll start fine-tuning performance, increasing PM storage, and playing with some new functionality, such as chat, that we've discussed in other threads.

I don't think that's necessary. All of the text in the wiki is stored in the MediaWiki database, of which I'm making two copies during the move: one for backup and one to put on the Amazon RDS database host. Amazon also snapshots our databases once a day with a 14 day retention. Also, as a best practice, I always take a backup snapshot before MediaWiki upgrades, just in case. Finally, I won't be closing the account with our current host until I've verified everything has come over with no issues. Our current host also has snapshots of our database (one per week with one month retention) and I have my initial copy from July, so even if something goes horrifically wrong, we have layers upon layers of backups. :)

When logging into the Wiki section this morning, I had to log in -twice- before it registered I was actually logged in. As in, I entered my account and logged in but still couldn't edit the page. I had to go do it again before my account name appeared at the top of the page. All was right in the world after that.

*twitch* *twitch*

When logging into the Wiki section this morning, I had to log in -twice- before it registered I was actually logged in.  As in, I entered my account and logged in but still couldn't edit the page.  I had to go do it again before my account name appeared at the top of the page.  All was right in the world after that.

*twitch* *twitch*

Ohhh! That happened to me too! I thought it was just me being a derp.

I've been having a slightly different issue with wiki editing actually. When I go to edit Xheja's wiki and try to switch the editor over to Rich Text Format, the editing box disappears. Trying to switch back to wiki editor after that doesn't work either, not until I refresh the page. Not sure if that's an issue with the migration or myself though since my computer has been acting a little funny lately and I can't check on my work computer. ;;