The Direction of Role-Play

Where do you prefer to role-play?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you prefer to role-play?

• Quicksand or Ul'Dah. -Easier-
    • ANYWHERE! Random RP is fun!

[align=center]100x100http://thisabled.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/pumpkin-1.png'>http://thisabled.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/pumpkin-1.png[/img]Salutations!100x100http://thisabled.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/pumpkin-1.png[/img][/align]

First of all I want to thank everyone who attended "Spooky the 13th" yesterday. Without attendance, it wouldn't be much of an event and it's always thrilling to see Balmung's role-playing community still very active. However, recent dealings with several other linkshells and free companies that are in a partnership with the Piquant Pumpkin have me a bit concerned in the direction of role-play.

Most events that I see are carried out now in the housing sectors of the game. While there is generally nothing wrong with this, I do have to state that I have personally visited several of these events and they are, with all due respect, not very active events.

Yet players keep pushing to have role-players visit their establishments so they can engage in trite, monotonous tavern role-play which is already vastly implemented in the Quicksand.

[align=left]Again, there is nothing wrong with this type of role-play, but I fear the direction this is going. Eventually, players may only hold events strictly for their members, closing out any who are otherwise not associated with their FC or LS.

The question being posed is why have so many events been closed to housing/tavern shenanigans and why has the general area of role-play shifted strictly to Ul'Dah as a majority?

While certainly there are groups out there that play in other places, but most stick with the Quicksand, as stated.[/align]

[align=left]I remember a time where I could go to Gradania and I'd find random roleplay; Limsa Lominsa was also keen to this. Now, the essence of random RP has fallen to individual players instead of what used to be a thriving community.

What I am stating here, is that each of us take the time to remember that outside of all the hunts and raids, there are new players coming to Balmung everyday. Let's give them, as a community, something to thrive and stay a part of.[/align]

Hydalen is a VERY large world. Let's use it and give Momodi a break!

[align=center]:thumbsup:[/align]

Yet players keep pushing to have role-players visit their establishments so they can engage in trite, monotonous tavern role-play which is already vastly implemented in the Quicksand.

Might wanna reconsider lacing your opinion with insults if you want to hold a conversation (that's been discussed at length in other threads, actually). It's offensive as hell to imply that people hosting events in their houses, which are designed to encourage thematic roleplay, is "pushing" players there. Nice dig at calling those sorts of thing "trite, monotonous" events, too.

Pleasant fellow, that Gus.

Might wanna reconsider lacing your opinion with insults if you want to hold a conversation (that's been discussed at length in other threads, actually). It's offensive as hell to imply that people hosting events in their houses, which are designed to encourage thematic roleplay, is "pushing" players there. Nice dig at calling those sorts of thing "trite, monotonous" events, too.

I said 'with all due respect' and that there was nothing wrong with it, in general.

Also, please separate OOC from IC. :thumbsup:

This is a general discussion, not a war.

And these two posts right here are the answer to the question being posed: RP communities are full of folks with thin skin.

If RPC is a microcosm, just take a look at the World Wide Web as an example of a macrocosm. Websites are thrown up for folks, and like-minded individuals cluster together and ostracize/excommunicate/exclude those that aren't like-minded.

Flocking together in cliques is natural human behavior. It happens on the internet (the only places where this doesn't happen as extensively require you to have a thick skin, e.g. 4chan) and it happens in communities such as this one (folks gathering together by common interests/goals and "bubbling").

I see RP everywhere in Ul'dah! And in Limsa when I visited.  The Quick Sand is amazing, but it can also be overwhelmingly loud, especially for those not accustomed to it (and even then, this barmaid gets overwhelmed at times and has to seek a quieter spot!)

Hosting events in housing gives people more control over the space, at the disadvantage of being out of the way, and so missing out on drawing people in at random.  That's just a trade off for those hosting the events to take into consideration.  In all honestly I have not yet attended an event at a house (though I have also only been invited to one, thank you Faye!), but have attended many out in the open world.

I guess I'm generally of the opinion that letting people RP where, and how, they want is what is healthiest for the community at large, and I see no reason to go against that here on Balmung, which features the most pleasant and encompassing RP community that I have ever had the pleasure of being a member of :-]

Edit: I get a feeling that it wasn't intended this way, but I really can't see why anyone would ever "push" RP away from anything! What a horrible, horrible concept! If you really want more RP somewhere else, create it, take part in it, and let it grow and flourish. Its not a zero-sum game, and anyone intent on trying to capture RP from another community (be it server, FC, area, group, what have you) would seem to be approaching things from a rather resentful point of view; there's just no reason for that. I love Limsan RP, and have been absolutely thrilled to see it become more prominent. In part because I just love RP in general, in part because I like variety, and even more so because I know its made a lot of people happy :-] This is a net gain for both Limsa and Ul'dah and, most importantly, for the Balmung community at large!

Flocking together in cliques is natural human behavior. It happens on the internet (the only places where this doesn't happen as extensively require you to have a thick skin, e.g. 4chan) and it happens in communities such as this one (folks gathering together by common interests/goals and "bubbling").

Indeed so! As I said, there is nothing wrong with it in general, but I have a feeling that in due time, it may close up more and more until the only role-play found is in FC's or LS's.

There are a lot of players on Balmung who are NOT role-players. Know what I do? I role-play with them anyway. I don't care if they acknowledge it or not. Why close off the atmosphere for potential RP on the basis of not trying?

Going off to do a quest? Try saying 'hello' to someone on the road! I've made numerous friends this way!

There is no right or wrong, only preferences. I wanted to see whether we all could push for RP outside of Ul'Dah for the sake of getting people to feel inspired again. SO many people have complained about having 'concepts' that they can't implement because 'there aren't RPers there'.

I say bollocks (anyone can make anything work). I just wish I could see more Gridanian and Limsa Lominsa RP, so I'm going to be trying to push it in the coming months!

That's all I can do for the community: offer options.

Your opinion is very interesting, Gus.

However, one must always remain aware that one's ideals may not fit into the bigger picture. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people taking RP to their FC houses, on that we can agree. However, whatever you may think of the 'quality' of said RP (I deign not to repeat your vivid and subjective adjectives), as long as all the individuals involved are having a good time, that's what matters. I could choose to trade in game emotes between myself and guests during an event, and if we're having fun doing that, that's fine. 

I would submit that none of us have eyes everywhere, as well-informed as we may think we are. There are many groups having a grand old time in their little circles, and that's perfectly fine! A big, open community is not mandatory. There are different flavors in different places, and people gravitate to what they like. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As for random roleplay, I can't take a step anywhere in the cities of this game without finding some, to be honest. Limsa, Gridania, Ul'dah. I used to think that the Carline Canopy was barren, but every time I take the airship from there or to there I run past a scene. Everything seems great. People are having fun!

That's the bottom line, really. Your ah -- intentions -- seem noble, I suppose, but they're really subjected to a narrow ideal.

If anyone looked at the threads on this forum. The Bulletin Board. The events, the TONS of open roleplay threads that invite literally any and everyone. We're a community. We are thriving. And oddly enough, participation in it would be enough to indicate that without question.

Another thread by Gus, another flame war.

If you feel tavern RP is trite and monotonous, I can't help but wonder why you'd start a monthly tavern event.

First off, I said with 'all due respect' and 'there was nothing wrong with it in general'. The basis was that RP be pushed outwards. You for whatever reason, see it as an attempt to hop off and be unethical.

Perhaps you should look elsewhere before you feel like 'smashing your computer' over a character concept?

Coatleque tries to leave Thanalan at any IC chance she can get. Her duties do not allow that often, however. But I like having that conflict of interest. It makes interaction that much more meaningful when I DO get to RP elsewhere.

Like a few days ago, she and Warren had dinner with Roen and Hornet at the Bismark. It was actually the first time she even ate at the Bismark. I had a lot of fun, even if the conversation drifted up and down in mood quite a few times.

I'll borrow a bit from my experience in Champions Online--players of that know the one night club, Caprice, was THE place to roleplay. While there were, specifically implemented by the game makers no less, several other instances for roleplay (news station, gyms, other night clubs etc) almost all RP was centered around the one hub. I think this comes about simply because people in general want a place where 'everyone knows your name'. Everyone knows it's an RP hub--like Quicksand, you KNOW you'll find RP there, thus, the situation compounds on itself.

It doesn't help that Ul'dah is the most populace city (at least I thought it was) so that adds to it; odds makers say, wherever the majority of players camp, that's where you'll find the majority of roleplayers too.

I think that Ul'dah offers the most colorful types of roleplay. For some reason, Gridania doesn't seem the place for shady criminal organizations. Limsa might but even then, whenever EVERYONE is an ex-criminal (so to speak) then it decreases the odds of their being undercurrents of the sinister. Ul'dah simply makes the most sense to allow for the most varied types of characters to get away with a great deal since money talks loudest there.

The main cities are the most likely to see RP as well since they are accessed as low as level 1. So that means you can have several NPCs all standing by, ready to pop in when you need them to without having to fret over your character not being a high enough level to acess, say, Costa del Sol.

So what I am getting at is this;

Everything comes down to location, location, location.

I'll admit that as a general newbie, and a shy one at that, it has been a little daunting to get involved in RP since I moved to this server. I have met some fantastic people at random though, so it hasn't all been a bust.

That said, while it may seem "monotonous" as mentioned earlier, I have appreciated the simple tavern nights at FC houses. I have only been able to attend a few at this point due to scheduling and internet issues, but despite having difficulty with putting myself out there in the social sense, it has given me the opportunity to be seen by others so that I may be recognized in the future, and has opened the door to a few IC acquaintances that may or may not pan out to anything in the future, but such is life.

Without the open house nights, however, I do agree that it's been difficult to really immerse myself into the game entirely save for the random street RP that usually ends with a guy asking me if I have a boyfriend...

I've been told that many RPers these days take their RP to their FC houses now, which is a real shame as I feel like I miss out on many interesting people. But, as was mentioned earlier, like-minded people tend to fall together in cliques, which I can completely understand and sympathize with. It just makes a newbie's job a little more difficult in the way of making an impression as I've felt like most people only want to socialize with people they know, and I'm kind of against being "aggressive" in making others notice me. But I'll continue my search for more experiences, whether inside or out of a tavern setting. It's a wide world and there's much to be seen/discovered since they aren't promoted by advertisements. >^.^<

Another thread by Gus, another flame war.

If you feel tavern RP is trite and monotonous, I can't help but wonder why you'd start a monthly tavern event.

First off, I said with 'all due respect' and 'there was nothing wrong with it in general'. The basis was that RP be pushed outwards. You for whatever reason, see it as an attempt to hop off and be unethical.

Perhaps you should look elsewhere before you feel like 'smashing your computer' over a character concept?

Saying "with all due respect" and "there's nothing wrong with it in general" doesn't excuse you from behaving like a complete bastard.

And honestly, I can see now it's not so much your character concept I have a problem with, but you.

Have you ever considered the possibility that some people are perfectly fine with -- how you so eloquently put it -- 'trite and monotonous' RP?

Tavern RP is random RP. That's the charm of it. You go in, and you come out making a new friend (or even a new enemy, which can be even better)! And some people like it like that. Some people prefer to stay out of plotlines, others prefer being in a plotline 24/7. And you know what? That's PERFECTLY fine too. You do what makes you happy. The community has its private players who only play within a small circle and avoid the forums -- and -- us, who likes to use the forums as a gateway to make new friends and find more opportunities to roleplay! That's all fine, you do what makes you happy! 

I understand you have your noble intentions, but your execution is slightly flawed. It's an appreciative thought though!

Roleplay has fallen into the doldrums described by the OP because I, Verad Bellveil, am personally interfering to ensure that it is so. You may cast all blame upon me as you wish, instead of raging against nebulous forces that conspire against the creation of your personal vision of a perfect RP world.

Blame me, blame me! But I am unrepentant. I desire an RP world in which events are smaller and enclosed; in which players do not feel obligated to interact with all other players, but rather those they choose; in which the myth of community is shattered and players realize that we are but a fragment of a fragment of the server population, and we will never have a real sense of a perfectly immersive world in which all characters are inter-connected; and, above all, in which player stop assuming that RPers congregate around specific RP hubs solely out of magnetic forces. 

Why are the RPers in Ul'dah? Because all of the other RPers are in Ul'dah, naturally. This is the argument I hear most often, as if there can be no other reason, nothing at all to do with Ul'dah having a more vibrant or interesting character in the eye of players than other in-game locations, and nothing at all to do with the city providing more tangibly useful roleplay hooks. I do not deny that magnetic forces play a part, but I do not discount the very real draw of a location to other players above and outside of that.

I, for one, cannot abide the notion that players be dispersed outside of their preferred locales for the sake of a vision of a perfectly-populated RP realm. And so I work to undermine, encouraging housing events rather than open-world ones and advising players to join the region they like best regardless of population. Even with my account suspended, I am the scourge of the open-world event. 

Therefore, blame me! It would certainly be a more useful exercise.

The phrase 'all due respect' leaves a bitter taste in many a persons mouth because all too frequently it is used to imply that you have in fact zero respect for their position in a debate.

As for me? I tend not to RP much outside of Ul'dahThanalan, that could very well because of a lack of connections outside of the Thanalan, with other players that is, mostly due to the fact that I RP a member of the Ul'dahn military.

Your opinion is very interesting, Gus.

However, one must always remain aware that one's ideals may not fit into the bigger picture. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people taking RP to their FC houses, on that we can agree. However, whatever you may think of the 'quality' of said RP (I deign not to repeat your vivid and subjective adjectives), as long as all the individuals involved are having a good time, that's what matters. I could choose to trade in game emotes between myself and guests during an event, and if we're having fun doing that, that's fine. 

I would submit that none of us have eyes everywhere, as well-informed as we may think we are. There are many groups having a grand old time in their little circles, and that's perfectly fine! A big, open community is not mandatory. There are different flavors in different places, and people gravitate to what they like. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As for random roleplay, I can't take a step anywhere in the cities of this game without finding some, to be honest. Limsa, Gridania, Ul'dah. I used to think that the Carline Canopy was barren, but every time I take the airship from there or to there I run past a scene. Everything seems great. People are having fun!

That's the bottom line, really. Your ah -- intentions -- seem noble, I suppose, but they're really subjected to a narrow ideal.

If anyone looked at the threads on this forum. The Bulletin Board. The events, the TONS of open roleplay threads that invite literally any and everyone. We're a community. We are thriving. And oddly enough, participation in it would be enough to indicate that without question.

I agree mate! And again, I said 'with all due respect', ect.

The reason I made this post was because I've had private messages here and on the game from players wanting to know how they can get their LS or FC off of the ground.

I've pointed them to the forums but for whatever reason, they can't get the gist of it.

I am not condemning FC role-play. I am mentioning that I have seen a lot of people with brilliant concepts wondering why no one has visited their establishment.

A perfect example is Faye Covington's awesome event! I came by and was saddened that there weren't many there. It made me wonder if it was because of advertising, perhaps they meant for it to be restricted, or that players tend to shift to the housing for RP as long as it's pertinent to who they know rather than: 'an event is going on! Let's go!'

I've seen more success using the actual areas outside the housing, is what I meant. I wanted to know how and why this is an issue if a majority stick to FC/tavern RP. Do people simply not have the time to make it to the event, ect.

I'm really curious because I try to come to every event being held.

I think it would be wise for us to take a step back from this thread and focus on the things that we all worked hard to build and enjoy. 

I don't know what this is, but it's disruptive to the usual, friendly flow of our community and a terrible, irregular example of what we represent.

tl;dr : someone post something else somewhere else so we can move on with our lives

Agreed with Berrod.

This thread is going to get locked faster than Kage will say "I love Natalie"

Perhaps people and their characters just aren't interested in events that they feel their characters cannot be apart of.

Or they just don't want to interact ICly with people who OOCly grind their nerves because that would just make RP not fun.

As far as an individual's event attendance goes, there are quite a few reasons why someone might not show:

1. Engaged in PvE or PvP at the time. Might have been a scheduled thing (see: raids, statics, etc.), might have been impromptu and it clashed with the RP event because the individual was not aware of said event / said event's time.

2. Unavailable ICly. Case in point: Osric's been unavailable in-game for a time because he's been in Limsa via forum RP. Another example: Roen Deneith wasn't available for a time because she was being held in a Sultansworn prison cell.

2a. Conflicting RP session(s). Too often I've been held up in RP with one person/group and not been able to join a RP session with someone else, thereby missing out on someone's character development / event, etc.

There are undoubtedly more reasons, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

EDIT: whoa, this thread took a huge swerve in the time it took me to post this. o_O

I, personally, am of the mind that holding events like this (in a housing district) does not encourage cliquish, exclusive behaviors. I've personally had great experiences joining in on group RP that has been removed from a city and put into a housing area. I've met an eclectic bunch of players/characters from many different companies and have made connections that will help further my own stories.

The quicksand can become super crowded. One can -easily- get lost in a sea of text as a group next to your own RPs. Some people like that, hell I do it all the time in the Wench, on the other hand, others tend to shy away from it and prefer to go to a less populated, but just as accommodating an area, like a personal house. many have just as much ability to become crowded Quicksand taverns ... but at least we have the option of new scenery. The city states are large. Why wouldn't they have more than a couple of taverns to crawl through? Personal lots make this a viable reality.

I think most people know what to expect when they do a tavern RP. They don't find it monotonous or trite they find it is an exciting opportunity to make connections and further the reach of their characters. 

New players wandering through the towns will find RP. It would be nice to see more RP outside the cities and I know many people, myself included, that stay in character while moving from hub to hub. In my experience, though, people (even if their search info calls out for RP) who are out to level and are traversing from quest to quest are wanting to do just that. They're not interested in stopping for a random chat at that moment. 

Outside of FCs and LSs I'm not certain what type of RP is expected to be found in the world that is more than "tavern style" without a little legwork on the part of the searcher.

Everyone has their own time and place. Eventually the connection will be made, I think.  :)