The Direction of Role-Play

Where do you prefer to role-play?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you prefer to role-play?

• Quicksand or Ul'Dah. -Easier-
    • ANYWHERE! Random RP is fun!

Oh man, the bias in that poll.

Oh no, I play a non-combat citizen who is based in Ul'dah, I CLEARLY PICK THE EASY NOT FUN AT ALL RP! OF MY OWN FREE WILL? HOW CAN THIS BE?!

I play that too! Yet I play in other places, like Gridania and Limsa Lominsa, places that are easily accessible to lower levels of course.

The bottom line is I am not condemning FC RP. I was wondering why players that hold events in a neighborhood don't have as many visitors.

Is it the advertising? Is it because people feel that tavern RP is more random at the Quicksand and therefore easier to gain?

I don't know what it is, but I just want us all to get together and do what works best. RP is RP and that is always fun.

That's the point.

Where all the insults come into play with this all? I'd say a few things are linked to that but that isn't the issue.

I just want players to all have a chance to have their concepts met.

Personally, I don't engage in a whole lot of tavern rp. Its fun to do every once in a while, but I tend to play characters that don't really frequent bars. (Leilani being the exception due to bejng an aspiring bard.)

That said, I can definitely understand the appeal around tavern RP and why people enjoy it. In my mind, if you want a certain kind of rp in a certain place, you have to make it happen yourself. At least that is what I fully intend to do when my work schedule is no longer a massive clusterfuck. No one else can make the kind of rp you want better than you can.

Personally, I am don't engage in a whole lot of tavern rp. Its fun to do every once in a while, but I tend to play characters that don't really frequent bars. (Leilani being the exception due to bejng an aspiring bard.)

That said, I can definitely understand the appeal around tavern RP and why people enjoy it. In my mind, if you want a certain kind of rp in a certain place, you have to make it happen yourself.  At least that is what I fully intend to do when my work schedule is no longer a massive clusterfuck.  No one else can make the kind of rp you want better than you can.

Exactly mate!

I was speaking on behalf of people curious as to why... I've said it a lot in here already. I don't think repeating it again and again will do anything lol

I agree with you though!

(Sorry, longwinded post alert.  TL;DR is at the bottom)

I admire your spiritedness Gus, and I'm sorry I was unable to attend your event.  I think I met you on Blynbhar once at an event in Ul'dah and you were a lot of fun and I'm sure our paths will cross again somehow.

I think the majority of my RP happens within the confines of the Twelveswood, but I realize we are a smaller company that is tailored more towards specific character types.  And even as small as we are now, there is a very obvious schism within our own group, where most nights I look at the listing and see that half are RPing in the woods and the other half are at the beach.  It is what it is.  I'm just happy folks are RPing.  Even that "drama" is kept mostly in-character and creates some interesting dialogue and IC problems to be dealt with.

I do try to keep my feelers out there beyond our house and our company activity.  Tavern events are a little awkward for both of our characters, but I don't mind finding excuses for one or the other to show up.  Thus far it's been either alone or with a friend or two.  If alone it's appropriately difficult to engage strangers in conversation (I honestly don't go in with expectations Eva's going to make a new best friend or Ben's going to strike up random conversations).  I accept that is a factor of these two characters' personalities.  I'm not going to stop going to them though.  They're fun, and while they may sometimes bit a bit too crowded for my tastes, I do feel like I'm being a part of something bigger, and I do like that.

I also try to hold an open gathering on a biweekly basis but I don't go to great pains to advertise it for the simple fact that I don't actually want too big of a turnout.  In essence this is a spoken parable Eva gives periodically at the Sanctum for the Twelve in the East Shroud (the phrase 'sermon' is often used but Eva doesn't like that because she feels it's condescending) which is followed by a small group talk.  It's a churchy thing and doesn't appeal to everyone, but the character is a priestess...  Invitations are extended to people that I RP with in various groups and it's something Eva does entirely apart from the merc company.  It has been a lot of fun in the past, but there have been a few occasions where it's been mildly stressful (the nonbeliever coming to challenge the belief in the Twelve thing is pretty tiresome and has been done to death - cuz those people always show up at church in RL to throw down with the minister).  But yes, I don't post about this on the RPC however I will say in this sort of out-of-the-way post on a somewhat-related thread that it is a thing and if you're interested in joining just ask me in a /tell or something.  (there is one scheduled for this weekend)  Again, it's not a closed event by any means and walk-ups are always fun to interact with.  I just wanted to avoid it getting so populated that it turned into a circus, so to say.  I walked away from one in the past because some passers-by sort of heckled it.  Otherwise it has grown in following, slowly and steadily, by word of mouth ICly (which I think is a cool advertising medium for that sort of thing).

But to get back to the main point, I don't think anyone in this community can really honestly say they have an accurate view of what RP in the total community is like.  We saw it a lot in XI where threads cropped up "amg RP is dying!!!" and it was always pretty far from the truth, but from one person's perspective who may not be aware of what else is going on.  There are also a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings that stem from an unwillingness or unacceptance to RP outside of your own personal comfort zone.  Oftentimes this turns out to be some of the best stuff, and where new friendships are forged.  Occasionally it turns out to be a disaster, but then you just kind of chalk it off as a learning experience and move on.  But to speculate on the direction of RP based on a handful of individual experiences is painting with a broad brush.  I hope you are able to sway a few non-RPer into the fold, and more importantly I hope you have fun doing so!

TL;DR (as promised):  Everyone RP's differently and has different preferences.  And everyone is awesome for RPing.  Branch out however you like as long as you're having fun, because that last bit is the most important part!  :thumbsup:

Right, so... while I think there's some good discussion that can be had here (on the topics of where people RP, the utility of tavern RP versus open world RP, etc.), there's a lot of angry unhappiness here. I'm just going to go ahead and lock this before it gets any more out of hand. If you want to start a discussion on any one of these topics, please feel free to start a new thread, but do so nicely.

Members of the Frequent Warnings Club, please be aware that, yes, the mods and I can see the history of warnings and yes, if you've racked up enough in the past, temporary bans are the next step ("X warnings and you get a free vacation!"). Please don't be that guy (or gal).