Help!! FFXIV ARR won't play!

g0ne

I just finished installing and downloading the game, the launcher works perfectly fine, I log in, and click the green 'Play' button. After that, a black window pops up, and after a while stops responding, prompting the Windows error 'Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn stopped working'!

I installed/downloaded the game in three breaks, and the launcher said, 'resuming download' (something like that) the two times after the first. Did it download and install fine? Do the breaks in between cause any issues?

Also, I have the benchmark, and it works fine, my score was 6858 at maximum settings and 1920 x 1080 resolution. 

Please help! Really want to play the game! :(

Hmm. 

Is your DirectX 9 up to date? (Should be from the installer already)

Are your video card drivers up to date?

Are you using any graphic mods, like SweetFX?

Move/backup/delete The Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn folder from your "My documents" folder. (This is where your game config, hotkeys, screenshots, saved character creator) are saved. Bad config could be the cause. (The launcher has a nice backup tool too)

If all else fails, try opening the game as an administrator. There's always the possibility it has a permissions issue, and can't read/write a file it needs to run.

Another option is to try running a full file check from the launcher, just to make sure everything downloaded correctly.

Where does the launcher hide the file-check? o0

...I've never found it for FFXIV. But a corrupted file is certainly possible too, if the patching/download process was split. (Knowing SE's beautiful coding, likely, too)

I think I might have a clue as what the problem could be. See, my desktop recently was upgraded, a new motherboard and processor. I was running Windows 8.1 Pro before the upgrade, and I think I might have to reinstall the Windows. Then, I'll reinstall the game as well. Hopefully, that should solve the problem.

Guess I have more waiting to do before I can join Balmung. *sigh* :dodgy:

And, thanks everyone!

I think I might have a clue as what the problem could be. See, my desktop recently was upgraded, a new motherboard and processor. I was running Windows 8.1 Pro before the upgrade, and I think I might have to reinstall the Windows. Then, I'll reinstall the game as well. Hopefully, that should solve the problem.

And, thanks everyone!

I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro. You should have any issues there. If the game was previously running, I'd check drivers and directx. 

If your hardware has changed a lot (which sounds like it has), it could very well be a driver issue.

And, thanks everyone!

I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro. You should have any issues there. If the game was previously running, I'd check drivers and directx. 

If your hardware has changed a lot (which sounds like it has), it could very well be a driver issue.

The game was not previously running. I installed the game for the first time after the hardware change, and then once again after reinstalling my Windows.

Also, I checked my drivers, they're all up to date. So is directx, just recently downloaded the latest version. Now, a new problem has decided to poke a thorn in my side.

Here's what the launcher says:

Unable to update patch files.

[11006][20641][20643][19900][3]

Every force in the universe is preventing me from playing this game. :frustrated:

Really want to play it... any solutions? :(

Okay, I tried running the launcher to try patching again, but then I get a new error.

Unable to complete version check.

[30410][30607][20459][10009][10019][19900][3]

Any help, please?

Those are launcher/patcher issues. I ran into these once, but I'm not completely sure how I resolved them, or if they had "magically" gone away.

Last time I saw these ones, people sometimes resolved them by:

• Clearing the patch files from downloads\ffxivpatch\ in their game folder
  • Switching their computer's DNS to google's for the update, if their ISP is blocking the patch server. (This should not be the case if you previously had been able to patch the game)
  • Reinstalling the game (again), and letting it patch overnight for hopefully no interruptions.

There's a lot of possibilities (though if you recently changed your RAM, a memory check wouldn't be out of the question). However, usually those errors indicate a network connectivity issue to the patch servers.

If the patches have gotten corrupted for some reason, you can try the following:

1. Go to Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\downloads\ffxivpatch

2. Delete everything in that folder.

3. Restart the launcher.

That will force it to download the patches again. However, if your Internet connection or RAM are the issue, those may not fix it.

Are you having errors with any other application as well? If RAM was the problem, you would be having a lot more trouble than just trying to start FF XIV.

If you do suspect a bad DIMM, the faster way to find it besides a memory scan is to remove all but one DIMM from the computer, then start it up and try playing the game. If it doesn't work, shut down, replace it with the next DIMM and try again. Keep going till all DIMMS have been tested.

If you suspect Windows system corruption, any version after Windows XP SP3 has a handy command-line tool called "System File Check". Run a command prompt as administrator and type "sfc /scannow". This will do an in-depth file comparison of Windows core DLLs versus those in the WinSxS folder and attempt to repair any damaged files. In Windows 8 and later, it may also attempt to download missing or damaged files direct from Microsoft.

You may also want to do an in-depth disk scan to make sure your hard drive isn't failing. If the game files are written over a bad block, then data will be corrupted whenever it tries to load. Run "chkdsk C: /f" and reboot. You may also want to find an application to read the SMART errors on the drive. Even if no bad blocks are found, something else may be wrong.

Finally, check the Windows Event Log under "Application" and see if the launcher is throwing an AppCrash error. If so, it may reference a specific dll file that is causing the failure. In either case, it's a good idea to view these logs every month or so just to make sure the computer isn't throwing a ton of hidden errors you never see.

Okay, I tried running the launcher to try patching again, but then I get a new error.

Unable to complete version check.

[30410][30607][20459][10009][10019][19900][3]

Any help, please?

Those are launcher/patcher issues. I ran into these once, but I'm not completely sure how I resolved them, or if they had "magically" gone away.

Last time I saw these ones, people sometimes resolved them by:

• Clearing the patch files from downloads\ffxivpatch\ in their game folder
  • Switching their computer's DNS to google's for the update, if their ISP is blocking the patch server. (This should not be the case if you previously had been able to patch the game)
  • Reinstalling the game (again), and letting it patch overnight for hopefully no interruptions.

Tried all this, except reinstalling again (I'll even try that again), did not work. :(

There's a lot of possibilities (though if you recently changed your RAM, a memory check wouldn't be out of the question). However, usually those errors indicate a network connectivity issue to the patch servers.

If the patches have gotten corrupted for some reason, you can try the following:

1. Go to Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\downloads\ffxivpatch

2. Delete everything in that folder.

3. Restart the launcher.

That will force it to download the patches again. However, if your Internet connection or RAM are the issue, those may not fix it.

Tried all this too, no use. :cry:

I have an 8 GB RAM, shouldn't that be fine?

Before reinstalling Windows 8.1 after the hardware change, the game patched just fine, the only problem was that it would not play. After hitting the green play button, a windows error 'FFXIV ARR stopped responding' would occur and it would crash.

After having reinstalled my windows and reinstalling the game, the game won't even patch now.

I've tried everything I could find, running on compatibility mode, running with Read Only unchecked, used the Google DNS, deleted the ARR patch folder, deleted the entire folder. I've done everything I possibly could, to no avail.

I am at a complete loss here.

After having reinstalled my windows and reinstalling the game, the game won't even patch now.

Hmm... this is a tough one. Some additional things you could try:

- Disable or uninstall any antivirus software (temporarily for testing)

- Disable or remove any firewalls

- Reset your IE settings (I know, this doesn't make sense, but Windows GUI is built around Internet Explorer ever since Windows XP. Clear the cache, reset all security settings in IE.)

- Clear your DNS cache and re-register it. (Command Prompt: "ipconfig /flushdns" followed by "ipconfig /registerdns")

- Disable User Account control (Control Panel - User accounts)

Even more things to consider, depending how tech savvy you are:

- Did you enable drive compression? This is an older tech that some newer programs do not like

- Did you enable Windows NTFS encrypted files?

- Try removing any peripheral devices attached to the computer (USB, Serial, Parallel), except for the mouse and keyboard. Maybe another driver is conflicting.

- Are you using WiFi vs LAN? Use LAN if possible to make sure the connection is stable.

- Do you have a RAID array or Mirror setup? Perhaps one of your drives is degraded.

Without actually seeing the computer myself, there's little else I could suggest :/

I hope you get this figured out. I know how frustrating it can be.

Hmm... this is a tough one.  Some additional things you could try:

- Disable or uninstall any antivirus software (temporarily for testing)

- Disable or remove any firewalls

- Reset your IE settings (I know, this doesn't make sense, but Windows GUI is built around Internet Explorer ever since Windows XP.  Clear the cache, reset all security settings in IE.)

- Clear your DNS cache and re-register it.  (Command Prompt:  "ipconfig /flushdns" followed by "ipconfig /registerdns")

- Disable User Account control (Control Panel - User accounts)

Even more things to consider, depending how tech savvy you are:

- Did you enable drive compression?  This is an older tech that some newer programs do not like

- Did you enable Windows NTFS encrypted files?

- Try removing any peripheral devices attached to the computer (USB, Serial, Parallel), except for the mouse and keyboard.  Maybe another driver is conflicting.

- Are you using WiFi vs LAN?  Use LAN if possible to make sure the connection is stable.

- Do you have a RAID array or Mirror setup?  Perhaps one of your drives is degraded.

Without actually seeing the computer myself, there's little else I could suggest :/

I hope you get this figured out.  I know how frustrating it can be.

Okay, I'll try the non tech savvy options first. For the tech savvy ones, I'll need proper instructions because I'm not a highly tech oriented person. 

Also, could cleaning the registry and performing a clean install of the game afterwards work?

I'll try all the options all together and hopefully the problem is resolved, or that the errors magically fix themselves somehow. 

If not... :cry:

Try these.

• Should there be any updates that you made to make other applications go wrong, go to System Restore and go back to the date that the game actually worked. 
  • If your computer is desktop, try to remove graphic card and wireless/internet card and reattach them back in. 
  • The last thing you could really do is just actually format entire computer and software and back to the scratch.
  • If you have a router and you are playing the game through wirelessly, try to disconnect the modem and router and reset them. Possibility is that the bandwidth has been used a lot or the router somehow blocked the game to patch it. 
  • If you are playing the game through Steam, be sure to uninstall the game then uninstall Steam and reinstall it back.

I have tried everything. Everything. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game again, and I disconnected my router and directly plugged in the Ethernet cable to my PC. I also ran the launcher in compatibility mode, as an administrator, with Read Only disabled, used Google DNS, deleted the patch folder, deleted the entire ARR folder.

Almost 6 GB of the patch files downloaded, and then this error came up.

Unable to download patch files.

[30413][10009][10019][19900][3]

Am I truly destined not to play this game? What do I do?! :cry:

I'd like to point out that the benchmark for ARR is working just fine. Also, I checked some other PC games and they're running fine too. Everything is performing solidly.

I'm super frustrated and super annoyed right now. And I really think I'm going to blow a fuse now.

Why do you do this to me, ARR? Why? :cry: :cry: :cry:

If it's a mobile computer, like a laptop, you could try downloading it elsewhere. It might just be a case of a really bad ISP. I've seen other communities make "alternative" patchers, but your results may vary, and saying anything more about them could be a violation of forum rules.

If I had better upload speeds myself, I'd upload mine for you to try. 

...is this the only computer that has patching problems? (Or if you have a spare laptop, it might help to install the game, patch it at a friend's house or so, and copy the folder back using an external hard drive or something)

If it's a mobile computer, like a laptop, you could try downloading it elsewhere. It might just be a case of a really bad ISP. I've seen other communities make "alternative" patchers, but your results may vary, and saying anything more about them could be a violation of forum rules.

If I had better upload speeds myself, I'd upload mine for you to try. 

...is this the only computer that has patching problems? (Or if you have a spare laptop, it might help to install the game, patch it at a friend's house or so, and copy the folder back using an external hard drive or something)

It's a desktop. My laptop is very old, possibly even nearing the end of its lifespan. I'm going to buy a new one for college soon, but I plan on buying an ultrabook, not a high end gaming laptop, too expensive.

Could an ultrabook suffice as an alternative to download the patches?

I'm just baffled at what the problem is, and why it hasn't gone away yet. I've been at this for three days straight now, and tried everything.

The only thing I can do is keep trying. But, slowly, I'm beginning to give up. It's ironic, really; I wanted to jump on the ARR bandwagon so badly, I was so excited when I got my copy of the game, but now I find it hard to even hope that this thing will work.

Could an ultrabook suffice as an alternative to download the patches?

Any computer could be used just for downloading. You wouldn't be actually playing the game on it, just installing it and opening the launcher.

The idea is that once the game is fully patched, you copy the install directory onto a thumb drive and copy it back down to your original PC and overwrite it with the now fully-patched files.