Old RPer in a New Game

Wicked_6

Greetings and Salutations, all!

Okay... now where to begin? :?

I've been playing MMOs for a while now. Final Fantasy XI, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Warhammer, Rift. Even the old Sims Online.

I've been a role player in all of them from the very beginning. I blame Dungeons and Dragons for that.

I recently ( about a month ago ) started playing FF XIV because of the urgent nagging of several friends and about a dozen coworkers and so far, I'm in LOVE! :blush:

But, that being said, I'm a total noob. I have two characters that aren't to level 30 yet and I have only a basic understanding of crafting and what not. Though, I've done my research and I have much to learn.

What I'm really interested in is finding a Noob friendly RP Free Company. I'd love to find a group of folks that enjoy doing RP events both serious and silly, as well as not minding the constant bombardment of questions. 

If you have any suggestions of a grown up ( no race jokes, homophobic or misogynistic BS, please and thanks :love: ) Free Company, I'd love to chat with them.

(BTW, not saying any of you do, but I've run across a LOT of those "guilds" in games, even on the RP servers )

A little about me.

My name is Melinda, most of my friends call me Mel. You're welcome to do the same.

I'm a 33 year old and I've been playing video games since I held my very first Game Boy.

My first MMO addiction was City of Heroes, without a doubt. The game inspired me to write a novel that's loosely based on my main character. (course, isn't everyone writing a novel these days? )

Novel.jpg

Then was World of Warcraft, which I got into in a big big way. I met my boyfriend of 5 years now on an RP server while he was avoiding Raid Nights on his usual PvP server.

I moved to the Bay Area of California about three and a half years ago and as of last year, was lucky enough to get a job working for a game company. Consider life long dream fulfilled.

Well, that's about it for now, I suppose.

I've heard great things about this lovely community forum here and I look forward to chatting or seeing you all in game.

Feel free to ask me questions if you'd like, I'm not shy! :D

~ Mel

Hello there, Mel, welcome to Balmung! It's good to have you here! :D Harbingers of Dawn is a good-aligned, med-heavy RP FC dedicated to protecting and aiding the citizens of Eorzea. We'd be happy to have you! You can learn more about us here and apply on our website if you're interested. Also I'm glad to RP anytime so feel free to say hello if you see me around!

Dancing_goblin_girl_wow.gif

Hello Mel!!! &&& Welcome!

The name is Matt--but most people call my Mattie. Great to have you!

I can't help you much with the FC question, because I actually haven't joined one server yet, but I'm sure there's one that's perfect for you! Hope to see you around sometime! Feel free to send me (Raven Kerr) a /tell if you ever have any questions!

For one I'm sure you're not a n00b! With that resume at least. :thumbsup:

Everyone is new once and there are plenty of people willing to help out with all the little details this game has to offer. Otherwise it's bloody gorgeous and hard to stop looking at! :blush:

I have been on WoW for years on role play servers, particular Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord, so it's great to see someone from that part of the world (of war...nevermind). I also see a ton of people who migrated over from City of Heroes (RIP) so a lot of that wholesome community you'll be able to find again.

The Linkshell topic board also hosts a lot of Free Company recruitment posts so it's good to skim through those and see if there's anything that catches your eye.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15

Welcome aboard!

I have been on WoW for years on role play servers, particular Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord, so it's great to see someone from that part of the world (of war...nevermind). I also see a ton of people who migrated over from City of Heroes (RIP) so a lot of that wholesome community you'll be able to find again.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks Jancis.

Yeah, we met on Moon Guard in Thunder Bluff as a matter of fact. It was some great times. I started during the end of BC about 5 months before Wrath came out.

And yeah, City of Heroes was a great game. I'm lucky enough to work with one of the Devs from there so it's a frequent topic of discussion.

Yeah, I'm not an MMO noob but I'm a total noob when it comes to FF XIV. Like, how does player housing work? ._.  I want an ice blue chocobo :chocobo:  but first I have to get one, lol

Mattie, thanks for the warm welcome and the Dancing Goblin. Much appreciated :D makes me feel right at home For the HORDE! *cough* sorry, knee jerk reaction.

Otto, that's very kind of you. Not sure if I need hand outs, but it's a very generous offer all the same. I'll probably poke you just to say hi.

Oh and I've made 5 characters on Balmug... I know, insane since 1 character can be everything.

But Roleplayers know, each character is unique so having several makes sense to us. I have 1 of each race.

Stop the press!

Stop the press!

Only other person I have heard of being HORDE. :lol: 

I use to love listening to the story night and the other happenings around Thunder Bluff when I got the chance! I joined Moon Guard just after the Wrath hit when Ulduar opened up. Alas, I didn't always catch the fun on the plateau because I was raiding with Iron Dragon which always had something Thursdays. I pretty much just role played with them.

~~

Biggest thing to those questions is: level up first. The gil situation improves once you hit 50 and player housing (while not actually out until next week) is going to go fast by my guess.

But there are also personal rooms in the Free Company (also known as FC which is the player Guild for FFXIV) that are 300k a piece (plus some other stuff, level up first).

The colored chocobos again require a Free Company and the color thing is a little tricky, but you basically keep feeding the bird the fruit that causes the blue pigment until you get the shade you want. Doesn't seem to be 100% accurate so far.

This guide helped me a lot while leveling: 

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Then this was helpful for some of the endgame stuff:

More Than Luck! :surprise: I recall them they were built out of some other guild... Cata or something... 

Wow :lol: well I feel even more at home now!

I was doing a tiny bit of sorting this weekend (looking for colored pencils to draw that rat for Franz) and I actually saw my old gray Game Boy and some of the games with it. The back of it for the battery case is gone and I thought "Why do I still have this?" and decided it was good for self defense as well as nostalgia.

More Than Luck! :surprise: I recall them they were built out of some other guild... Cata or something... 

Wow :lol: well I feel even more at home now!

I was doing a tiny bit of sorting this weekend (looking for colored pencils to draw that rat for Franz) and I actually saw my old gray Game Boy and some of the games with it. The back of it for the battery case is gone and I thought "Why do I still have this?" and decided it was good for self defense as well as nostalgia.

WHY WAS THIS SET AWAY AND FORGOTTEN

I AM AWASH WITH TEARS FOR OL' BRICKY