Garlean Primer of some kind?

OttoVann

http://gamerescape.com/2013/08/21/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-white-raven/ is an excellent summary article of Nael Van Darnus that has interesting tidbits on the Garlean Empire.

There's also this

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/112275-Garlean-Naming-Conventions?highlight=naming+conventions

and this

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/User:Anwyll/Garlean_Military

if you need stuff for names and ranks. I have more somewhere, but I can't dig it all up at work.

Ohh -- in that case, it's a bit uncertain. I tend to pluck things out from what I see in the cutscenes and what I've read of their history. There's no solid guide to the behavior and mannerisms of those from Garlemald. That's where your imagination bone has to kick in!

I'm terrible at this sorry.  Im looking for customs, behaviors, things like that.  Also knowledge of their workings I guess.  All I know is Garleans come from Garlea right now

Hrmm..

Is it a Garlean directly from Garlemald born and raised, or from one of the many countries that has now become part of the Garlean Empire? (Like, Ala Mhigo is under Garlean control, so "Garleans" could be born there. To make a silyl reference, think of Avatar the Last Air Bender, with the Fire Nation colonies inside the Earth Kingdom)

I see the Garleans as pretty strict, very military-focussed, and duty-bound, but that isn't to say they all are. SE hasn't really given us any insight on their customs, but if we judge with the military and Cid, they do seem to receive a formal education.

I tend to play Franz as pretty nationalistic, but naturally, he can't go around preaching that anymore. More recently, he's been leaning more towards trying to convince people not all Garleans are bad and want to destroy the world. (Because they don't! They just want to "save" it and have join the big, happy, Garlean family.)

So if I have Garlean spies coming to my bed for...whatever it is they want other than because they we're obviously seduced...I should let sleeping dogs lie maybe. Whats the worst that can happen from them getting intel from me anyways.

Would that make Otto evil-aligned or something if I let them come back for repeat 'missions'.

Am I already ded?

So if I have Garlean spies coming to my bed for...whatever it is they want other than because they we're obviously seduced...I should let sleeping dogs lie maybe.  Whats the worst that can happen from them getting intel from me anyways.

Would that make Otto evil-aligned or something if I let them come back for repeat 'missions'.

Am I already ded?

Well, if it's known you're in contact with Garlean spies, Otto could be gaoled by whatever local authority. (Which in Ul'dah probably means nothing, because he could pay them off).

I would keep alignment out of this game though, since really, it isn't needed. People do good and bad things, and to others, those particular actions may be deemed good or bad. If the spies seem to enjoy their time....up to you? How comfortable is Otto with known spies? What kind of information could he leak, or what would they be trying to get? I suppose he could be found guilty by association, but that's up to you and how you want to play it out.

I'm also sure if they wanted to kill Otto, they'd have tried. There are plenty of Garleans walking about, if you know where to look. *shifty eyes*

I always had the notion in my mind that Garlean operatives would be much more...disciplined than that. 

I'd also think that Frumentarium has much less...organic means of gathering intelligence!

A defector, however...hmm. I suppose the question becomes: What exactly do you intend to do with said Garlean?

I always had the notion in my mind that Garlean operatives would be much more...disciplined than that. 

I'd also think that Frumentarium has much less...organic means of gathering intelligence!

A defector, however...hmm. I suppose the question becomes: What exactly do you intend to do with said Garlean?

To the bold : Come on now. I'm Otto Vann, it's what I do. I put on my A-Game tryhard pants with this one and didn't hold the punches so to say. No training can resist that.

I don't think she's a defector, either. As far as what I plan to do with them? Well...my bedroom door is always open to them. They can come and go as they please.

All of this Garlean business was made aware to me and revealed after we left the bar and we're in the afterglow of doing the deed. I actually...didn't know what Garleans we're until I asked them in an OOC /tell I felt kind of bad being so terrible at RP that doesn't involve womanizing. Yes I did skip cutscenes like a shitter at launch so I could hurry through story and get back to my crafting way back when, I'm sorry.

But I do have implicit knowledge of a Garlean in my midsts. I wonder what all I should do. Guess I can wing it and have fun I hope. Its not like anyone can seriously arrest or threaten me with state-sanctioned authority.

This, this, a thousand times this. Have FUN! That's what it's all about. Don't worry too much. If there's any pertinent information regarding the character's nationality/alignment/loyalties; ask the player to inform you so that you don't get caught with your pants down.

...again.

To the bold : Come on now.  I'm Otto Vann, it's what I do.  I put on my A-Game tryhard pants with this one and didn't hold the punches so to say.  No training can resist that.  

I don't think she's a defector, either.  As far as what I plan to do with them?  Well...my bedroom door is always open to them.  They can come and go as they please.

All of this Garlean business was made aware to me and revealed after we left the bar and we're in the afterglow of doing the deed. I actually...didn't know what Garleans we're until I asked them in an OOC /tell I felt kind of bad being so terrible at RP that doesn't involve womanizing.  Yes I did skip cutscenes like a shitter at launch so I could hurry through story and get back to my crafting way back when, I'm sorry.

But I do have implicit knowledge of a Garlean in my midsts.  I wonder what all I should do.  Guess I can wing it and have fun I hope.  Its not like anyone can seriously arrest or threaten me with state-sanctioned authority.

Well they can, but Otto would simply pay off anything that came of it.

It should go without saying, but be careful who you (and the Garlean character) choose to disclose that bit of information to. Brass Blades can be payed off, but some RP characters (like Jana) are more willing to enforce vigilante justice.

This leads to the ever-popular dilemma of "what can anyone playing a cop actually DO to someone who doesn't want to go along with it" but I don't want to re-open that can of worms in yet another thread.

Ahem.

...That wasn't my implication at all. Anyone who loudly broadcasts belonging to an enemy faction is either going to make a lot of IC-enemies or be regarded as a non-RPer stirring up trouble. Not that I think Otto would "loudly broadcast" it, but telling the wrong person about these goings-on could end up with stories spreading, trust being lost, etc. while in-character. Just because players can't openly PK or arrest another player doesn't mean they can't get the rumormill going.

I'm probably jumping at shadows, but I've had bad experiences with people openly dropping the fact they're Garlean. It's almost like an entire group forgot there's a war going on or something.

Still, if it gets out, there's still not a lot anyone can do to "run out" an enemy spy on friendly soil. I'm still just sore over some characters playing completely untouchable villains in plain sight and shitting all over those who were law enforcement. Don't mind me.

...That wasn't my implication at all. Anyone who loudly broadcasts belonging to an enemy faction is either going to make a lot of IC-enemies or be regarded as a non-RPer stirring up trouble. Not that I think Otto would "loudly broadcast" it, but telling the wrong person about these goings-on could end up with stories spreading, trust being lost, etc. while in-character. Just because players can't openly PK or arrest another player doesn't mean they can't get the rumormill going.

Its hard for me to answer to this without being a ic/ooc mix. I dont forum RP though. But, what can anyone reasonably do to me anyways? "He fucked a garlean woman"...so what? Maybe I'm so used to always getting my way IC I dont see how it would change anyhting.

(im not mad just sort of rambling while drunk)

Its hard for me to answer to this without being a ic/ooc mix.  I dont forum RP though.  But, what can anyone reasonably do to me anyways?  "He fucked a garlean woman"...so what?  Maybe I'm so used to always getting my way IC I dont see how it would change anyhting.

(im not mad just sort of rambling while drunk)

It's more like "He associated with Garleans. The people that attacked us, were responsible for the Calamity, and are trying to take over. What if he's just as bad as they are?"

Garleans are, aside from Cid, still seen very much as enemies in general. Otto likely has the money for get out of any trouble in Ul'dah, but it could still cause extreme amounts of unrest and could ruin his social reputation. 

Specifically, he would make for an excellent take-down for any up-and-coming or here-and-staying monetarist. Your assets would be seized so you couldn't continue to fund Garlean spies on home soil (which is clearly why your organization exists, you are a front) and since you represented a reasonable threat to Ul'dah and Her People you'd be dropped into a gaol while all of the red tape was sorted out.

Oh, the process is pretty easy to sort out. Should be done in twenty or thirty years.

Otto's a powerful man, but there are more powerful, and Ul'dah eats its own when you play those sort of games. You're simultaneously untouchable to those below you and a swattable fly to those who'd seek to make an example out of you, and this sort of connection is exactly what your rivals would press on to drive you out.

Specifically, he would make for an excellent take-down for any up-and-coming or here-and-staying monetarist. Your assets would be seized so you couldn't continue to fund Garlean spies on home soil (which is clearly why your organization exists, you are a front) and since you represented a reasonable threat to Ul'dah and Her People you'd be dropped into a gaol while all of the red tape was sorted out.

Oh, the process is pretty easy to sort out. Should be done in twenty or thirty years.

Otto's a powerful man, but there are more powerful, and Ul'dah eats its own when you play those sort of games. You're simultaneously untouchable to those below you and a swattable fly to those who'd seek to make an example out of you, and this sort of connection is exactly what your rivals would press on to drive you out.

Wow this was pretty neat to read