IC Mannerisms while OOC

K'nahli

I'm curious as to how many people do this and how far you take it. I'm sure that many people have been guilty of this at least once, but what I want to know is...

Is there any way that you behave while playing a character, even when you are completely OOC and not even close to RP'ing?

It needn't even be specific to the way your character behaves or would behave, but even just a reaction to the world around them at any given time.

I, for example, very seldom go through Coerthas or anywhere undergoing cold/rainy weather without equipping a set I have that is made to keep my character dry and warm(mainly just a cloak, gloves and decent boots). It's quite bad, to the point that I sometimes question why other people around me, even non-RP'ers, aren't doing the same(not actually questioning them, haha... but in my head...)

A friend also has this little quirk where she simply says "Hello." when entering a dungeon, completely absent of any friendliness or smileys - which are almost mandatory in her normal, daily speech patterns and when playing her brighter characters - simply because they do not suit her male characters.

So! What are yours?

EVERYONE PLEASE HAVE COLD/WET WEATHER GEAR READY TO EQUIP.

Oh I tend to have a sliding scale of RP so will still be doing it in my head even in a raid. I will then adapt to those I am with.

Some constant things I do more often than not..

• When I teleport in I stagger as my character has issues with it
  • When I stand next to someone I often make an IC comment.. you never know RP may happen
  • To teleport I will go to the crystal or try and find a corner to do it from
  • All my gear is glamoured to be IC (you won't see my glowing novus for the level 13 sword I put over it)
  • I wave at all the people on my friend list.. they are all glowing pink nameplates :)
  • I may talk to the NPC in /say and emote to them

• When I teleport in I stagger as my character has issues with it

Hahaha, that's a nice little quirk that never really occurred to me myself. Its definitely silly things like that which I was hoping to hear about.

• I may talk to the NPC in /say and emote to them

That reminds me, I do like to salute NPCs belonging to my GC or for the very rare time I see someone in full uniform though that's not quite an IC thing really since none of my characters are active members of one.

Also, when on my hyur, I tend to smile and wave a lot to random people whenever they look my way or for any other natural reason(similar to occasions where you would do so in real life).

Lets see

When I was running a Expert Roulette with friends from my FC and LS, I was in my dragoon set, the shirtless sexappeal set.  Anyways I would just stop DPS to /pose and flex and talk about how great I look during trash pulls.  

Sounds about right.

That sounds amazing ;w;

I often tend to come up with little stories for William, even when I'm not actively RPing, and I often end up incorporating it into my next RP scene if it's appropriate. I think I have learning to be an alchemist in queue after becoming a scholar.

• I end up walking to places, even while I'm OOC (usually with the busy sign up) and looking for an NPC to turn in my tomes, advance my quest, and other such things.
  • I sometimes tend to /stagger too when I port to places, as well as use a nearby aetheryte or crystal to teleport, it feels weird not to.
  • I've purposefully stopped my Summoner questline so I can have the emerald carbuncle pet forever and ever as a Summoner. Mind you, I would never queue as SMN in trials and raids and the like. On a side note, I often gripe about how I wish there's a carbuncle minion so I won't have to stick to arcanist just to have the adorable little thing.
  • When I'm thinking deeply about something, I tend to use William's way of drawing out certain words like 'may-bee' and 'poss-eeb-lee' and 'proh-bab-lee' in text.

I find myself talking like Yvelont sometimes in OOC whispers, especially when I'm in the middle of RP. It amuses me, but I'm not sure anyone else notices when I do it.

For classes I play that Yvelont would never be IC, I've found myself glamouring pieces I think he would wear if it were IC. Like the Pilgrim set for White Mage, because it looks to me like something an Ishgardian priest might garb himself in.

I also do as Coatleque does and turn off autosheathing weapons, because I found it too jarring that Yve would put away his weapons when there are clearly more enemies to fight just ahead.

I'm exceptionally lazy when it comes to capitalization on shells and in chat, but I always put on my English Student cap when it comes to party chat. Proper punctuation and the like go a long way towards looking like you're sane.

THIS -- though I speak in standard English and not Berrod's chewed up speech-impediment Ul'Dahn accent.

While running around in crowds, even in OOC, I tend to walk in such a way so I don't physically bump into people accidentally. I'll even jump out of the way of someone sprinting or riding a mount. I am fully aware that their avatar will simply pass through mine, but I just can't help it!

You can't run in or through people.. noo no no. Can't be doing that. No.

While running around in crowds, even in OOC, I tend to walk in such a way so I don't physically bump into people accidentally. I'll even jump out of the way of someone sprinting or riding a mount. I am fully aware that their avatar will simply pass through mine, but I just can't help it!

Same here ^_^

Ohhh!! Ohhhhh!!! I do this too! Whenever I see someone running toward me that is seemingly on a collision course, I have my fingers ready above Q and E so that I can casually step to the side. I also make sure not to run through people either and I get annoyed when I see people on big Goobues from my party running on top of me in Frontlines, haha(in the real, open FF world, I get out of the way as quickly as I can if they're coming the other way and usually follow with a /shocked emote).

In addition, I do a LOT of walking through cities and the world in general, even when I am going nowhere in particular. Also if I see anyone else walking I will almost certainly stop and do so myself so as to help boost their immersion just a little bit should they be RP'ing.

There are so many things I neglected to remember if not for other posts, haha. I am really glad others do this too. I'd appreciate seeing people deliberately trying not to run through me though I don't ever recall noticing it. Sometimes when passing through places like Fallgourd float where a lot of people can gather I might even slow my chocobo to a walk and place a wide berth between us so as to not... well, startle them I guess. I know I wouldn't want a big horse casually brushing right by me in real life in case of a misplaced hoof.

Also guilty. I do this so often I didn't even think of it as a quirk.

Also guilty.  I do this so often I didn't even think of it as a quirk.

I also do this.

I tend to slightly modify the way I type based on which character I'm on, to strangers. For example, for a stoic character, I wouldn't say something like "no problem! we can do it! ^^" in a PUG group. It would just become "no problem" (while the former would be on a more lively character).