Seeking a good lore database.

Unfortunately, I do not know any lore databases. I don't think anything has been written beyond on the various wiki's. Within my own FC, on our forums, we are beginning to write down all of the lore we can get our hands on, both in and out of game, but right now we're only 3-4 people writing on it occasionally and it's not open to the public (Because we make footnotes for how we take certain things in our FC, make references to plots where something has been used, etc). And unfortunately we haven't gotten to those subjects, otherwise I'd have pm'ed you what we have. 

I do think it'd be a good idea if there was to be written a lore database for XIV, but it requires a lot of people and a willingness to run alts through quests to get snippets of knowledge. If the community was to come together on making something like that, one could even add things like commonly accepted fanon etc, which might give people a feel of the wiggleroom they have with plots? 

Just a thought. If something like it already exists then I too would like a link. 

Though, if you're fine with having people tell you what they know, you could always post the questions here and see if there's someone who knows what you want to know?

@Sastra: I'm more looking for general knowledge then specifics at the moment. To be honest, there isn't even enough general info to get into the specifics yet. xP

@Bryn: Thanks for the links Bryn, while I did have most of the info to be found in those, I DID find a little bit extra I didn't know about, so deff helped, no matter how little, its still extra info :D

You know I've been thinking about this the last few days...... OH LORD FREELANCE WIZARD! HEAR US!!!

FLW: Would you mind setting up a section in the character wiki for lore.... or maybe help us set up a wikia for lore only?

That, my friend, is a brilliant request. I'd love for this site to have a wikia for us willing folks to compile everything we can find regarding the lore in FFXIV. It would make searching for info a lot easier for more people as well.

Sure, I can set up an area in the wiki for lore. (I definitely don't want to do anything with Wikia -- they're definitively Up to No Good.) A new namespace is probably the best way to do it, I think. I guess the next step there would be coming up with some ground rules for it; for instance, citation requirements and the like.

Wikia is a bunch of derp. 

Trying to find a way of putting it. Like, it would be nice if there could be a way of marking things as fanon or things that are generally accepted by roleplayers, but not documented in lore - Maybe because the lore falls short, and one has to make a realistic assumption of how something might be. 

Would it be possible to make citations that involve a picture of for example a quest NPC? Because quests can only be done once, and at certain points, so it would be a bit egh if people felt they had to do the quest to make sure.

And on the subject of quest NPC's, what about noting potential bias? Like the bad feelings going between little ala mihgo npc and the flames stationed there (Flames people be like: "Ayup we give them food" and the highlanders there are like "WE ARE STARVING!!") 

I think other than that some common sense rules would do well. Alternatively instead of having it open for everyone to edit, you could look into letting people sign up for the task? Though that kinda depends on the system I guess.

Wikia is a bunch of derp. 

True dat.

Trying to find a way of putting it. Like, it would be nice if there could be a way of marking things as fanon or things that are generally accepted by roleplayers, but not documented in lore - Maybe because the lore falls short, and one has to make a realistic assumption of how something might be. 

There's a couple of different ways we can do that, actually. One is to keep that information out in the main namespace and the lore in a Lore namespace, and then you link between the two, possibly with disambiguation pages. Another, which is the approach WoWWiki takes, is to have templates that flag an area or article as speculation. I don't have a strong preference either way, but I think we need to choose one for consistency.

Would it be possible to make citations that involve a picture of for example a quest NPC? Because quests can only be done once, and at certain points, so it would be a bit egh if people felt they had to do the quest to make sure.

Ayup. :) The Cite extension lets you do footnotes, and a footnote can be any wikitext. So, you could footnote to a image page, for instance. Storage isn't really a big deal for us now (we're at 12G out of the 25G I grabbed from AWS, and I can trivially expand the disk if needed) and the Materials Use License allows the use of screenshots in this way.

And on the subject of quest NPC's, what about noting potential bias? Like the bad feelings going between little ala mihgo npc and the flames stationed there (Flames people be like: "Ayup we give them food" and the highlanders there are like "WE ARE STARVING!!") 

I'd think the people working on this would want to strive for NPOV, which would include highlighting these sorts of biases. For instance, in an article on Little Ala Mhigo, one might write a "Conflicts" section that discusses how the Ala Mhigans claim to be receiving little food, while the Ul'dahn government claims to be providing enough food. The trick to the NPOV there, IMO, is just stating what the game says and providing citations without editorializing to fit a particular "headcanon."

I think other than that some common sense rules would do well. Alternatively instead of having it open for everyone to edit, you could look into letting people sign up for the task? Though that kinda depends on the system I guess.

I would much prefer to let everyone edit it and purge all of the "Don't edit this ever without permission" text scattered around lore pages on the wiki right now, but one advantage of sticking it in its own namespace is that we can, if necessary, employ things like FlaggedRevs or ApprovedRevs to put some review processes in place. We can also change the background to let people know this isn't for player-created content (a couple of intranets I've created do that to indicate what's part of the ISO quality system and subject to review and what's just normal content, for instance).

One thing I'd like to do, if there's a strong desire to start this project, is have a couple of people in charge of the cat herding to make sure that the pages get created and regularly updated. It's not a moderator or manager role so much as it's a "promoter" -- someone who can indicate what pages need to be started first based on demand, where there might be holes that need to be shored up, etc. I believe the MBA term is "managing without authority." :)

#magicAdminHat

One thing I'd like to do, if there's a strong desire to start this project, is have a couple of people in charge of the cat herding to make sure that the pages get created and regularly updated. It's not a moderator or manager role so much as it's a "promoter" -- someone who can indicate what pages need to be started first based on demand, where there might be holes that need to be shored up, etc. I believe the MBA term is "managing without authority." :)

#magicAdminHat

Sounds like a good idea :) I'd be up for it, with what time I can pour into it, if the thing gets up and running ^^

There's a couple of different ways we can do that, actually. One is to keep that information out in the main namespace and the lore in a Lore namespace, and then you link between the two, possibly with disambiguation pages. Another, which is the approach WoWWiki takes, is to have templates that flag an area or article as speculation. I don't have a strong preference either way, but I think we need to choose one for consistency.

Good idea, because there is a lot of speculation out there, just due to Square's stingy nature when it comes to lore.