Dislikes: BAD THINGS

Seriphyn

There are three things I generally dislike in role play:

1) Metagaming

2) Inability to separate OOC from IC

3) Mary Sues

When it comes to metagaming, I refer to players who just happen to know your character's name having never met them simply because they see the tag over one's head. Then there are the worst kinds of metagamers... the ones that have read your wiki or something based on the history of your character and they somehow now know these things in character as well. That's just bad form altogether.

To those that can't separate OOC from IC, they tend to take role play and set it back quite a bit for the sake of drama and bickering. What's to gain from it, really? If there is a character you dislike, don't hate the player over their character being a certain way. Negative or arrogant characters can help to develop anyone's character in a story arc just the same as anyone. The worst kind are players who role play simply to ERP and feel threatened each time you talk to a guy or girl that they have mentally set their sights on. Why hate a character for simply interacting? It's nuts.

Finally: Mary Sues.

All you need to do is think of Kirito in Sword Art Online. He's the perfect Mary Sue that can pull a deus ex anytime something is going against him. Characters that have weaknesses are easily the most charming in my opinion. Who wants to be perfect after all? Where is the fun in that?

Also, Creed sucks. The lead singer sounds like he has a stick up his ass.

As for what I like?

Pumpkins. :thumbsup:

Pumpkins! \o/

Pretty much agree with all of the above here. OOCly I've always disliked those who get overly upset about relationship oriented RP to where they act like you just broke up with THEM and not their character (if the RP goes that way). Or gets upset when your character doesn't choose theirs as a relationship candidate. Also loosely ties in with the whole keeping IC and OOC separate.

ICly? I agree with something Faye said in regards to certain things are subjective. Or more prominent. Lili, for example, tends to hold a greater dislike for Garleans then some citizens she's met and doesn't mind Voidtouched so much due to having met enough of them who actually weren't that bad.

Now, throw a Voidsent in her face and she'll beat that bitch with her fists.

Relationship role-play is often very hit or miss. It's something that requires a hefty dose of IC and OOC separation as well as trust. I don't bother pairing my character up with someone's else's character unless I've come to trust them as the sheer amount of drama that can be unleashed is both hilarious and sometimes outright scary.

Even when my partner and I role-play it doesn't mean we pair all of our characters together and then never interact with anybody else...which is unfortunately not the case with some role-players who end up getting their character(s) into a relationship only to abandon everybody else. I've a few good friends to that sort of nonsense so I'm admittedly biased when it comes to stuff like that.

Relationship role-play is often very hit or miss. It's something that requires a hefty dose of IC and OOC separation as well as trust. I don't bother pairing my character up with someone's else's character unless I've come to trust them as the sheer amount of drama that can be unleashed is both hilarious and sometimes outright scary.

Yeah. I ended up kicking one of my old FC members back when I first formed it because they got very, VERY upset when my character ultimately chose another character over them. They even lashed out at people in chat. It was unnerving.

One thing I've seen a few people do is add a player 'dislike' list on their profiles. Well, less of a 'dislike' list and more of a 'I can't stand these things so please don't bring them near me even in RP' list. One guy I saw months and months ago had 'White Mages' listed on his character's dislike section and even had an OOC note that he'd block anyone he met that played a White Mage.

Twas weeeeeeird.

Yeah. I ended up kicking one of my old FC members back when I first formed it because they got very, VERY upset when my character ultimately chose another character over them. They even lashed out at people in chat. It was unnerving.

One thing I've seen a few people do is add a player 'dislike' list on their profiles. Well, less of a 'dislike' list and more of a 'I can't stand these things so please don't bring them near me even in RP' list. One guy I saw months and months ago had 'White Mages' listed on his character's dislike section and even had an OOC note that he'd block anyone he met that played a White Mage.

Twas weeeeeeird.

Sounds like you've been around the wrong crowd! Come sit in the pumpkin patch with me!

Twas weeeeeeird.

Sounds like you've been around the wrong crowd! Come sit in the pumpkin patch with me!

*flounces in the pumpkin patch and throws autumn leaves at people in the thread*

Cactuars. Benign enough, but considering cactuars are a major component of one of Verad's most "popular" services, he winds up in a frustrating love-hate relationship with stupid wriggling green things that mutilate him with 1,000 Needles at random for no clear reason.

Tarot has Coblyn's listed as a dislike--he hates their static discharges and what it does to his hair. He also finds their legs and their eyes creepy and unnerving.

He also hates Chocobos, but mostly because people think they are 'cute' when really they're big, smelly birds. What's more, he firmly takes the Moogle side in the argument of which is cuter, Moogles or Chocobos and he WILL cut a bitch if you disagree with him too vehemently.

I know exactly what you mean! That said, this can be used sparingly to give an overview of the character without outright statement. A friend of mine cites the Garleans as a dislike but not demons or evil or Bahamut or whatever. He is Doman. He really hates them!

The key is to diversify! My character hates elezen, dragons, itchy clothing, sand and the color orange.

I know exactly what you mean!  That said, this can be used sparingly to give an overview of the character without outright statement.  A friend of mine cites the Garleans as a dislike but not demons or evil or Bahamut or whatever.  He is Doman.  He really hates them!  

The key is to diversify!  My character hates elezen, dragons, itchy clothing, sand and the color orange.

*throws orange autumn leaves at in the spirit of the fall season* Oops! :D