Tiny & Timid

Hello there!

I was directed to this site through some really nice people in the shout chat. As I understand it, this seems to be "the" roleplay site for Final Fantasy 14. So, I'm just going to wing this. . .

HI I'M NEW. That should have been obvious enough but in case it wasn't, hi! I've only been playing this game for a couple days now but I'm really rather fond of it. Beyond the graphics, the gameplay has been a lot of fun for me, too. I've already stumbled upon an RP event out in the world which is. . . a refreshing change of scenery. 

Despite my newbiness to this specific game it is not the first MMO I've roleplayed in. I roleplayed in Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, and World of Warcraft. The latter two for quite an amount of time (GW2 since release, WoW pre-BC). I'm lurking around Final Fantasy considering a new home and a change of environment (I'm already relieved to see how nice people seem). 

The point of this post, I suppose, is just to say hello! You have a new person in your community! I also wouldn't mind some. . . help. Err, specifically I have a few questions that people with more experience might be able to answer for me. So, without further rambling:

1) Where are some of the main "roleplay" hubs? 

- Is there anything I should know about them specifically (the frequent crowd, etc)

2) FASHION IS IMPORTANT. How can I get more. . . cute clothes? My character is female (see: my avatar). 

3) What is the "general view" on players who aren't guilded in a roleplay guild? In GW2 it practically became mandatory with the server system. Should I be already looking for a guild or can I lurk around and go from there?

4) How common are "character blogs"? It became a big trend on GW2 (and a bit on WoW). 

- Are they a thing, here? 

- Are they respected? 

- Are there specific tags used to track community things?

5) Do you have any tips for a new player in this game? Both gameplay and RP tips are fine! 

. . .Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this, and answer my questions!

Hello there!

I was directed to this site through some really nice people in the shout chat. As I understand it, this seems to be "the" roleplay site for Final Fantasy 14. So, I'm just going to wing this. . .

HI I'M NEW. That should have been obvious enough but in case it wasn't, hi! I've only been playing this game for a couple days now but I'm really rather fond of it. Beyond the graphics, the gameplay has been a lot of fun for me, too. I've already stumbled upon an RP event out in the world which is. . . a refreshing change of scenery. 

Despite my newbiness to this specific game it is not the first MMO I've roleplayed in. I roleplayed in Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, and World of Warcraft. The latter two for quite an amount of time (GW2 since release, WoW pre-BC). I'm lurking around Final Fantasy considering a new home and a change of environment (I'm already relieved to see how nice people seem). 

The point of this post, I suppose, is just to say hello! You have a new person in your community! I also wouldn't mind some. . . help. Err, specifically I have a few questions that people with more experience might be able to answer for me. So, without further rambling:

- Is there anything I should know about them specifically (the frequent crowd, etc)

2) FASHION IS IMPORTANT. How can I get more. . . cute clothes? My character is female (see: my avatar). 

3) What is the "general view" on players who aren't guilded in a roleplay guild? In GW2 it practically became mandatory with the server system. Should I be already looking for a guild or can I lurk around and go from there?

4) How common are "character blogs"? It became a big trend on GW2 (and a bit on WoW). 

- Are they respected? 

5) Do you have any tips for a new player in this game? Both gameplay and RP tips are fine! 

. . .Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this, and answer my questions!

Welcome to the RPC. Look forward to meeting you.

Guest Ragnar

Hey there and welcome! I'll try to answer your questions.

Ul'dah is the largest hub. You can find RP just about everywhere though, it's picked up in Limsa, there is a push to do more in Gridania and the Shroud as well. Wandering the world there is a reasonable chance to see people RPing just about anywhere.

Level up, the higher level you are, the greater access to gear you have. Playing other classes also unlocks some new clothes too. Some clothes you can just buy off the market board at any level, but those tend to be a little pricey.

There are quite a few RPers who are in FC that do not RP. I don't think anyone will care if you are in an RP FC or not.

- Are they respected?

Some people do them, some don't, check out the Town Square part of the forums, that might be what you are looking for.

Hi and welcome! I was going to answer a few questions but Ragnar already did a fine job at it so I'll simply add on the Fashion part. Once you hit lvl 50 on any class, you'll also unlock Glamour, which lets you change the look of your gear while keeping the stats, similar to GW2 and WoW.

Also, if you ever seem me in game, feel free to poke at me, be it for RP or Questions regarding the game, I'll gladly do what I can to help. Hope you have fun in Eorzea!

Hello there, welcome, it's good to have you here! :D 

1) You'll find the most RP is in the Quicksand/Adventurer's Guild of Ul'dah, your typical tavern-goers!

2) Fashion is indeed important! Sadly, leveling is about the only way. At level one, though, you can buy hempen camise and hampen pantalettes for cheap. Sastasha at level 15 and Brayflox at 32 drop some nice stuff, too. Also, keep an eye out for SE's seasonal events, and you can check the marketboard for cosmetic items, though most are pretty pricey.

3) No view, really. Just beware of the FC spam you may get if you're guildless; people like to invite at random sometimes. You're welcome to go spend some time looking around for an FC, or never join one at all. However, being in an FC not only opens more doors for RP, but also has OOC benefits. But with linkshells available, joining an FC is not at all necessary.

4) A lot of us do have character blogs on tumblr. Search the tags Balmung or Balmung server, or just browse the FFXIV tag, and you'll probably find us. :)

5) Nothing in general, but feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions!

Oh hey, I know you <_<

I did forget to add a few things while we chatted last night but it's good to see a lot of them answered here. For instance...FCs are generally optional as the community is really good and Linkshells (essentially private chat channels) exist for locating RP as well. As for gear, yep it's mostly leveling up but there was a point made earlier that begs to be repeated...gear drops from dungeons are aesthetically GREAT for this game. While a lot of them are best for the level they drop at stat-wise, they really are some of the best looking gearsets in the game. Just be prepared to do dungeon grinding if you like a specific set since they're drops and not token-based like in GW2.

Other than that welcome welcome and have fun ^^