Greetings from Gridania!

L'yuta

Hello, everyone! I'm actually 100% new to RPing in MMOs (no exaggeration - how do most people even RP ingame? Lit/paragraph RP, or just speaking as your character?), but I love the world of Final Fantasy, I love MMOs, and I love RP, so I figured I'd give this a go! I've done forum/skype RPs here and there, but I've always shied away from RP servers in MMOs - since the thought of an already fully developed RP community was much too intimidating.

Anyways, I'm here with just the trial version of FFXIV, hoping to enjoy the game/community enough to purchase the actual game! I'm just running around Gridania like a lost child right now, but I'm excited to visit more towns and learn more about the lore.

elbdli.png

(I also just discovered the character wiki, and I'm so excited to RP with all of you and meet all your characters!)

Hullo and welcome to the game! In-game RP is a bit different but shouldn't be too far off from the skype/forum RPs you're used to. And everyone has different styles. There are some who more just speak and give a simple emote action. Others will still give paragraphed and detailed responses. 

The Quicksand in Ul'dah is a major RP hub. With the Downed Wench and the Bismark in Limsa getting it's share of activity. Gridania can be a bit RP light in my experience. With most of the RP I see ending up being outside the city-state. And there are events going on all the time. I'd highly recommend the Open RP LS for finding RP as well as keeping informed of what events are coming up.

Hope to see ya around ingame. And many of us are open to walk-ups or planning a meet so don't be shy. :)

Hullo and welcome to the game! In-game RP is a bit different but shouldn't be too far off from the skype/forum RPs you're used to. And everyone has different styles. There are some who more just speak and give a simple emote action. Others will still give paragraphed and detailed responses. 

The Quicksand in Ul'dah is a major RP hub. With the Downed Wench and the Bismark in Limsa getting it's share of activity. Gridania can be a bit RP light in my experience. With most of the RP I see ending up being outside the city-state. And there are events going on all the time. I'd highly recommend the Open RP LS for finding RP as well as keeping informed of what events are coming up.

Hope to see ya around ingame. And many of us are open to walk-ups or planning a meet so don't be shy. :)

I was wondering why Gridania was so quiet! I have a friend who made a character in Balmung for the first time, and she was shocked by how much RP was going on in Ul'dah. Can't wait to actually visit there!

Speaking of linkshells - I tried doing a bit of research, but is there a huge difference between linkshells and free companies? Still trying to figure out how these two things work, but I'll definitely look into it (and keep an eye out for events and meets, thank you!).

Hello there, welcome to the RPC! About two years ago was the first time I ventured into RP in MMO's. It's a bit different, but it's no far cry from normal RP! Whether you want to write actual narrative paragraphs or simply write dialogue for your character a la screenplay style is up to you; there are folks who do each.

As for free companies and linkshells: An FC is a guild. You can only join one, and you get perks like housing, buffs, guild bank, etc. Linkshells, however, are just private chat channels. You can join up to eight of them.

The Quicksand is the de facto RP "hub" of the server, if you like tavern roleplay. Alternatively, there is a Twelveswood OOC Linkshell that was recently formed for those of us (-raises his hand-) who would rather setup/seek out RP in and around Gridania! Either way, welcome to Balmung. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Guest Ragnar

There is not a huge difference between FCs and LSs. The biggest difference is that FCs sometimes have houses. There a a couple smaller things as well, like a company chest for shared storing of items, and company actions which do things like give an exp. bonus. Nice thing about LSs, is that you can be in eight at once.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and helpful advice!

Alternatively, there is a Twelveswood OOC Linkshell that was recently formed for those of us (-raises his hand-) who would rather setup/seek out RP in and around Gridania!

I'll definitely look into this, thank you! Maybe one day... Gridania will become Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa's little RP hub sister...

Ironic! My first character was Y'akhi Tia! Welcome to the club.

Please bless poor, confused K'akhi with your experience and wisdom, Y'akhi -

But dang, what a coincidence! Maybe your first character's spirit lives on :^)