FFXIV System Requirements?

Eva

Anyone seen any information yet on what the System Requirements will be for FFXIV? Since it's moving to beta I would imagine they'd have something posted somewhere. I'm planning on overhauling my PC sometime before the middle of this year prior to the official release date - or sooner if accepted to beta testing. I'm probably going to go overboard anyway, but wondering if anyone knew what the minimum and recommended settings were. I'm sure they'll introduce benchmarking software like FF11 did before the release. But just curious.

Also, has anyone heard any news yet about the beta? A friend of a friend has been in closed beta for a few months now and I've heard good reports.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months in closed Beta? I've got the invite on Jan 4th... and I hear that it will likely start at the end of this month. You are sure closed Beta already started, and a few months in at that?

I'm going to do some updating as well... although I don't know anything about the reqs yet, some info would be great.

Updating to 6gb ram and a GTX 275 graphics card. How about you? Also, any suggestions?

There's no info about system requirements as far as I'm aware. And those reporting they're in closed beta could very easily be making it up. Signups only started at the end of December afterall. So I doubt it's been going on for a few months. You might wanna consider who the friend of your friend is and if they'd be the type to pull another's leg xD.

Maybe it was Alpha testing - I'll follow up with him later on. But I have heard pretty convincing stories. The friend is trustworthy. The friend's friend I do not know so I can't say much about it, but from the information I am being relayed, I'm convinced that it is not some kind of a hoax.

EDIT:

I just spoke with him. What we're being emailed about was Open Beta Testing. This guy was apparently part of Closed Beta Testing. He evidently seems to think that everyone who applied for Open Beta will be accepted so long as they didn't get banned in FF11 or anything. I'm not sure what to make of that, but it will still be pretty cool. I asked if he knew any sort of timeline and he said he had already asked the guy and he didn't know. But it supposedly runs smoothly on a dual-core Vista 64-bit, which I guess isn't really saying a whole lot.

As far as I'm aware, specs have not been released for FF XIV yet since they want to make it as current as possible with what's available at their estimated ETA. The specs during Beta may very well change before final launch if they decide to capitalize on some emerging technology. My assumption is if you are running a fairly new Windows 7 Computer with a good (Doesn't have to be excellent) graphics card, you will be able to run the game on medium settings. Of course, I have nothing to back up that statement.

I am personally anxiously awaiting the specs for FF XIV because I've put off buying a computer until I know it's specs so I am sure I can run it smoothly. That, and the price of a computer that I am SURE can run it will probably be cheaper later this year as opposed to now.

I am personally anxiously awaiting the specs for FF XIV because I've put off buying a computer until I know it's specs so I am sure I can run it smoothly. That' date=' and the price of a computer that I am SURE can run it will probably be cheaper later this year as opposed to now.[/quote']

This.

Only instead of buying a new computer I'm just trying to figure out what to upgrade in mine. I'm planning on overhauling the system board and video card, and may throw in some more memory as well, depending. But I'm also juggling this with a move coming up early in the summer to a new home and having to buy furniture and all that other fun stuff. Trying to wait as long as I can and still not shoot myself in the foot financially. Suffice it to say, I'll be keeping an eye out for any specs for FF14.

• 1 month later...

Oof! Next-gen game, so I'm not surprised.

I remember two or so years ago when I bought my GeForce 8600 GTS, and I was so utterly pleased that I had such a nice video card. And the alpha's looking for an 8800 minimum?

Optimization will likely bring that down, especially cause it's a small(ish) step down.

Maybe. I hope?

Thanks for sharing!

I considered going the PS3 route, but I remember how different the gameplay felt going from PS2 (chillin' on the sofa with a controller and not chatting much) and the PC (sitting at the computer with the full keyboard).

I eventually gave up the PS2 for everything except bazaar mule. lol

I'm sure it will be different with FFXIV at first, but I wonder as computer hardware evolves what will happen. I recently purchased a new computer which should be able to handle it though (i7 930, 12gb ram, 2tb hdd, 2x ATI 5770 in Xfire, thank you Uncle Sam!!), so I think I'm all set now - just waiting for Beta/Release so I can get my hands dirty!!

:bounce:

(i7 930' date=' 12gb ram, 2tb hdd, 2x ATI 5770 in Xfire, thank you Uncle Sam!!)[/quote'] A bit overkill- but god damn!!! You are set for a few years for sure.

Yeah, that'll do the job ;). I run an i5, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, and an nvidia gt230. I think I'll be fine running on high specs as well.

Just wondering what you guys are using all that RAM for?

I've been using just 2GB for going on 7yrs now and haven't seen any significant decrease in game playablity in the types of games I play (MMO, RPG,RTS, and FPS). Of course I'm not running the x64 systems either because I haven't seen much added bonus in their architecture besides adding more RAM past 3.5GB.

12GB RAM? WHYYY? I don't think you could possibly multitask enough to ever use 25% of that! (I'm gonna buy 24 just to show you up! >: O)

2TB, you gonna download half the interwebs?

haha, sorry, I'm just jelous, I've been running a 180gig HDD, for over 5 years now, I'm surprised it hasn't died yet...

ah the 5770, good choice, my next GPU is definitely going to be ATI. Nvidia needs to get their heat issues under control considering I've had my 9800GX2 burn out 4 times and I've got 8 fans in my comp (not including the one on the card)

2TB is great xD I've got a lot of movies/shows/comics/music/pics on my 1TB external, and some on my 500gig internal and I am almost maxed out. I'll try to weed out some stuff that's not so good and keep the favorites... but I might need an additional 2TB external HD myself soon. In short, yes I do have half the interwebs... in movies anyway xD

12gig RAM does seem like a lot but I donno... requirements for games keep going up and I'm sure 12gig RAM will be standard in average PCs in a year or two. I see refurbished PCs with 8gigs RAM going for like $600 now- so yeah... not sure why but you need more RAM to keep up with new software. >_>;

Personally I'm gonna stop at 6 on my current PC.

GPU's have onboard memory though, so you only really need 2-4, I've never seen anyone able to utilize over 4, hell, before vista you couldn't get over 3.5

and 600 bucks? seriously? You can't get 8 gigs alone for less than 350, so every other component must be absolute shit.

Since I have to play on a laptop and I don't have some of those specs I'm not going to be able to play for a while. :cry:

I'm sure you'll be able to play, it'll just be like a picture slideshow! haha xD!

You still have time to get a new comp!!!

Just wondering what you guys are using all that RAM for?

The game will take up part of that. I also do a good deal of work with Photoshop and various other graphics, audio, and video editing software (Adobe Premiere and SoundForge primarily), and sometimes I have the IDE for PHP up as well. And I have a hard time closing Firefox tabs/windows. It's a problem. I think Firefox alone with all of the tabs/windows I keep open gobbles up about 3gb. A lot of this stuff I do simultaneously.

I don't think you could possibly multitask enough to ever use 25% of that!

You don't know me very well then. :twisted:

2TB' date=' you gonna download half the interwebs?[/quote']

The system actually came with 1tb drive and I just put my old HDD in as a slave drive, copied everything of importance (or so I thought) over and formatted it for the extra space. 600gb are already in use and I managed to wipe out most of my music, so I'm going to have to go back and rip a ton of cd's again... >.>

A few years from now I'm just going to have to scrap it and get myself a hellabyte drive.