Hello, & happy midweek to all!

Elysia

Hi there!

I'm Elysia and I've been lurking around on these forums since I first got FFXIV: ARR for myself, which was back in August... I'm both excited and nervous about finally showing up here because 1) it's been years since I signed myself up on an Internet forum, 2) I'm a total greenhorn at RP-ing on an MMORPG, so I'm hoping for a kind soul to show me the ropes, 3) I still consider myself new to MMOs, period - I was on LoTRO but tucked myself mostly out of dungeons' way til I got into FFXIV. (I assumed, for a while, that the colours of FFXIV had weaned me completely off LoTRO - I thought wrong. It's a lovely, sombre game - if any of you are on the Landroval server, I'd love to be friends when I, well, eventually make my way back there.) 

I've RP-ed on forums and LiveJournal before but all other mediums are new to me. I'm really interested to see how RP actually plays out in the very immersive, very beautiful settings of Eorzea, where I suppose I will have to put aside my long-winded, perfectionist ways in my interactions for the MMO platform. I have always enjoyed collaborative story-making and finding such an active RP community in this corner of the Internet was a really pleasant surprise! (That and the fact that it's Final Fantasy, too. I grew up with FFVI-IX and I still revisit the older games on my hale and healthy PS1 from time to time.) So here I am! 

I'm hoping to be a light --> medium roleplayer, and to be able to join an FC for both dungeons and some RP. I think the biggest commitment problem I have is the fact that I'm a full-time English / Lit teacher from Asia. (Thankfully, marking season is almost over - hurrah!) Still, I am somewhat optimistic that I will be able to meet people between 3-9am PDT on weekdays... and I will rise early on weekends for this! :cactuar:

My character is Avis Inkwood - she considers herself a collector of stories and would really love to meet new people in-game. (I'm hoping her storyline is plausible - do let me know if there is anything I should see to regarding my understanding of Eorzea at any point in time.) 

That's about it. Thank you, and looking forward to meeting everyone (:

Good morning from east coast America!

RPing in an MMO is pretty simple, really. Perhaps TOO simple if you're used to long eloquent posts, but luckily we've got you covered when it comes to that.

I'd suggest just hanging out in a city hub. I can speak tomes of how busy the Quicksand is (last night I had nonstop encounters for about 3 hours just standing around) and I know the Limsa scene's supposed to be pretty popular now, too. I can't speak to the Shroud but I know there's folks out there!

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything. Most everybody here is agreeable folk and if you need help for the main story stuff (and you will) we'd be happy to help get you situated.

Welcome!

I do have a small character on Landroval, though with how much time I've been investing into this game I only log in right now to pay the upkeep on my lovely dwarven house. :blush: But it definitely still has a charm to it.

The Quicksand or the Drowning Wench is a pretty good way to observe role play which is what I did at first and then try thinking up a couple ground quirks to get started with in talking.

There's a nice little "shy guide" someone wrote up before that's good to skim through to boost the confidence.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=7345

I'm not the newest anyone!

Welcome, from a former LOTRO Landroval Veteran. You'll get plenty of good advice around here, as long as you don't try to take in everything at once. Sidle up to some of the hotspots (mentioned above) and watch the magic happen, and then, don't be afraid to jump in. You might be surprised how simple it can be.

I'd suggest just hanging out in a city hub. I can speak tomes of how busy the Quicksand is (last night I had nonstop encounters for about 3 hours just standing around) and I know the Limsa scene's supposed to be pretty popular now, too. I can't speak to the Shroud but I know there's folks out there!

*waves* Thank you! Whoa, three hours... The Quicksand sounds like great fun, though I'll have to invent a really good reason for Avis to be there, since she's already 'officially' quit the place... She's stationed in Limsa now. perhaps I should try that this weekend. 

Quick question, though - what's good etiquette for leaving midway when you're in the thick of things because you need to log off urgently to attend something else? Does this happen often? 

I do have a small character on Landroval, though with how much time I've been investing into this game I only log in right now to pay the upkeep on my lovely dwarven house. blush.gif But it definitely still has a charm to it.

The Quicksand or the Drowning Wench is a pretty good way to observe role play which is what I did at first and then try thinking up a couple ground quirks to get started with in talking.

There's a nice little "shy guide" someone wrote up before that's good to skim through to boost the confidence.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=7345

Hi Jancis! It just occurred to me that I've never seen a dwarven house... :blush: and i can't thank you enough for linking me to the shy guide - I feel better already. 

And hello Telluride and creator-of-Kat! Welcome to you both too. xD Hoping to see you both in-game sometime! Do say hi to Avis if you catch her emoting to herself for a screencap :D

*waves* Thank you! Whoa, three hours... The Quicksand sounds like great fun, though I'll have to invent a really good reason for Avis to be there, since she's already 'officially' quit the place... She's stationed in Limsa now. perhaps I should try that this weekend. 

Quick question, though - what's good etiquette for leaving midway when you're in the thick of things because you need to log off urgently to attend something else? Does this happen often? 

Every hub will work! Limsa's Drowning Wench and the various bar locales often have folks in them, and since Balmung's got a pretty active EU community there's people around for most of the hours of the day. Don't feel a rush to get out to Ul'dah!

Etiquette for leaving? There's nothing wrong with simply having your character realize they've got someplace to be, excusing themselves with profuse apologies and jetting off. OOC tells to explain you've gotta cut it short help and go a long way, too.

Fun part of playing someone with a job is that you can always have your linkpearl buzz and just "Sorry, gotta take this" and butt out.

Every hub will work! Limsa's Drowning Wench and the various bar locales often have folks in them, and since Balmung's got a pretty active EU community there's people around for most of the hours of the day. Don't feel a rush to get out to Ul'dah!

Etiquette for leaving? There's nothing wrong with simply having your character realize they've got someplace to be, excusing themselves with profuse apologies and jetting off. OOC tells to explain you've gotta cut it short help and go a long way, too.

Fun part of playing someone with a job is that you can always have your linkpearl buzz and just "Sorry, gotta take this" and butt out.

Thanks for the nifty ideas! I'm getting a much better picture of how this works. Looking forward to getting creative :)