Dark Knight, hinted. Samurai Folder found.

Couldn't DRK use both great swords and great axes in XI? Weren't they also scythe users?

That you were right. Scythe Dark Knights were better than Great Swords imo for FFXI.

They could also use Greataxes, which beat both Scythe and Gsword until level 60. At that point it was a toss up.

Apocalypse made DRK into an entirely different monster. Empyrian Greatsword blew anything else DRK could use away. Not sure what the status quo is in 2014, though.

There is no "right" answer.

Don't give me Dark Knight and kick me in the.... well you know. Please let it be a GLD job or have its own class. I just don't want an axe wielding DRK, either Sword and Board.... which I prefer... or a Greatsword which would be amazing in and of itself.

Traditionally, the Dark Knights have been greatsword or sword and board.

But considering how Yoshi feels about 'tradition' in the series, the odds are just as much in favor of it being Marauder.

I rather like the idea of a Dark Knight being a new Gladiator job - instead of leveling Conjurer to make a Paladin, level Thaumaturge to 15 to make it a Dark Knight, and thus the Paladin's mirror image. It's reminiscent of the Dark Templar class from Age Of Conan, and some of the Reaver Tank combos from Rift, which emphasize magic mitigation and heavy AOE Threat with the use of nasty little things like poison and demonic hands rising up in a circle around the character.

Samurai seems trickier, but then, I can't always think like SE does in the way it mixes Western and Eastern fantasy tropes, so they have options on approaching it.

The future of the game could very well simply be new Job combos for the existing classes, giving each one, eventually, the split options that the Arcanist has.

My current guess is that the new jobs will just be the new jobs. Lock them off as starting class options and keep people forced to be one of the original classes, but just have 1-60 as DRK or RDM or SAM or MSK.

Someone on BG floated the idea of Orator being the new gunner class, and I am ALL OVER that. It fits the Ishgardian setting, too; A "noble" of the church, but packing heat? I've got a soft spot for the badass preacher archetype, though; It's all I use in Killing Floor and I mostly play Berserker there, so Katana Pope is a thing in my world.

I rather like the idea of a Dark Knight being a new Gladiator job - instead of leveling Conjurer to make a Paladin, level Thaumaturge to 15 to make it a Dark Knight, and thus the Paladin's mirror image.  It's reminiscent of the Dark Templar class from Age Of Conan, and some of the Reaver Tank combos from Rift, which emphasize magic mitigation and heavy AOE Threat with the use of nasty little things like poison and demonic hands rising up in a circle around the character.

Samurai seems trickier, but then, I can't always think like SE does in the way it mixes Western and Eastern fantasy tropes, so they have options on approaching it.

The future of the game could very well simply be new Job combos for the existing classes, giving each one, eventually, the split options that the Arcanist has.

Given that Rogue is an entirely new set of weapons (dual wielding) and is a combo of Lancer and Pug, it's very possible that what could end up happening is a base, secondary and then Job. Ninja is a combo of Rogue, Lancer and Pug if I recall correctly.

For instance, Dancer could be 'PUG+ROG+ARC=Dancer'

You have two base classes and then the 'secondary' or tirtiary or whatever. A class could require three different classes to make one of the 'Advanced' classes which then opens into a Job.

So Dark Knight could easily be, 'Gladiator 30 + Thau 15 + Maurader 15'

This would teach the character the basics for using a sword, using dark arts and using an over-sized weapon, all of which could create a 'Greatsword' trained class.

Its very likel we're going to see the next few jobs be a combination of introducing new weapons into the system as well as jobs. It's very likely that Rogue/Ninja is a preliminary test run on how well this integration is going to work.

As it stands:

Core classes remain "core".

Additional Classes (IE: Rogue + future).

- Will probably be L10 and accessible in all City-States.

- Expansions may see the same set up however new classes exclusive to each city and accessible at L10.

First batch of jobs are likely to include 1-2 new weapons.

Very possible that Dark Knight will be a Scythe user.

Samurai and Dark Knight being released at the same time may signify Katana (two handed swords) being their primary.

Samurai and Dark Knight could very well be class and job addition not two jobs, likely: Samurai being the Class and Dark Knight being the Job. This would support the theory of Two Handed swords (IE: Katanas) being added. This seems the most likely option to me as I do not see them adding in two sets of two handed swords or dual wielding swords. It also saves them the problem of introducing a class that utilizes scythes if they were to want such a route for Dark Knight.

The expansion I personally hope for:

1 Str Class/Job

1 Dex Class/Job

1 Magic Class/Job

1 Healer Class/Job possibly non-Magic, perhaps a Dex/Int user?

What would it be called before Samurai though? It's like really tough. Would it be blademaster in this case?

Also we can always look at Final Fantasy XI and Tactics class systems should we be confused about what kind of classes would come out in FF14.

***I'd like to see Arithmetician show up in 14***

What would it be called before Samurai though? It's like really tough. Would it be blademaster in this case?

Also we can always look at Final Fantasy XI and Tactics class systems should we be confused about what kind of classes would come out in FF14.

***I'd like to see Arithmetician show up in 14***

I would KILL to see Arithmetician. It would literally be almost impossible to use in the game based on how it works but oh my GOSH it would be great for just the Lore alone. Though, I suppose that the book-learned mages would be considered Arithmetician already, though they don't use math in their actual abilities.

But I could see Samurai being maybe 'Lancer 15 (for the discipline) + Marauder 15 (two-handed weapon) + Gladiator 15 (sword training)'