Dark Knight, hinted. Samurai Folder found.

Everyone has been talking about Yoshi-P hinting at the Dark Knight job and him mentioning his desire to have a "two-handed swordsman" but I hope I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who caught this:

84013e12.png

Could it be possible that the Dark Knight job is an annex of the Marauder class and Samurai off the Gladiator? Lore-wise they are setup for it, especially considering that it would fit to give the New Player Race it's own job to introduce and they are from the "Far East" (Doma).

All of this is speculation but I feel like it is a fair notion. Tell me what you think! :)

Keep in mind Soken seems to keep many of the music files for previous games he's worked on in that directory, an example being SK4 likely having to do with his work on Seiken Densetsu 4. Samurai could just as easily be a folder with his work from Musashi: Samurai Legend.

But wouldn't it be something under musashiden or bm (blade master)?

Don't give me Dark Knight and kick me in the.... well you know. Please let it be a GLD job or have its own class. I just don't want an axe wielding DRK, either Sword and Board.... which I prefer... or a Greatsword which would be amazing in and of itself.

[align=center]Ehem. What's wrong with Axes, Erik? :x[/align]

Don't give me Dark Knight and kick me in the.... well you know. Please let it be a GLD job or have its own class. I just don't want an axe wielding DRK, either Sword and Board.... which I prefer... or a Greatsword which would be amazing in and of itself.

Because this is not a Dark Knight...

Viking_Dude_by_holoc4ust.jpg

This is a Dark Knight...

ashram.jpg

stuff 'n things

This is a Dark Knight...

ashram.jpg

Holy shit, is that the Curtana?!

stuff 'n things

This is a Dark Knight...

ashram.jpg

Oh no my friend, that is the Demon Sword Soul Crusher, weapon of Lord Ashram.

LodossJap-4A-35613.jpg

stuff 'n things

This is a Dark Knight...

ashram.jpg

Oh no my friend, that is the Demon Sword Soul Crusher, weapon of Lord Ashram.

LodossJap-4A-35613.jpg

Choco-sh*t, that's the Curtana on the Atkins diet!!

150px-FFXIV_Curtana.webp

I think in terms of skill set, Marauder is probably better for a Dark Knight, however, I think they would need to replace that axe with a greatsword or a scythe. I can imagine some of Marauder's skills being used on a Dark Knight, but can really imagine Gladiator's.

However, Dark Knights could use a greataxe on FFXI (as well as scythes and greatswords), so who knows? Dark Knight might get an axe.

If Gladiator were to become Samurai, again, it would need to a 2 handed weapon, but it is possible they'd overhaul the class system to offer a little more flexibility in that respect, because in its current state, it's pretty flawed and doesn't offer much flexibility in terms of job roles.

I don't think they'll do a straight up overhaul - that would be silly and likely to completely screw over the already existing classes.

I'd wager that they have their own starter classes in fact. Dark Knights get 2H swords, Samurai get katana. Especially if both are tanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got job offshoots of different classes that can easily be retrofitted into already existing classes and change their roles. Example : Instead of going Warrior, you could go into a different job and DPS.

Kind of like how Arcanist goes into either Scholar or Summoner.

The whole branching jobs from classes thing doesn't really work well outside of Arcanist because of pets. Pets give an additional 4 skills alongside of the 5 which come from the job crystal. Aside from those 5(+4), the jobs are essentially identical. If SE were to do DRK from GLA, then DRK would play nearly identically to PLDs, aka Halone spam. Sure they'd have 5 new skills to play with, but 5 isn't enough to make the job feel much different. This would also force DRK to be some sort of tank or worse, an extremely tanky DPS due to Rampart, Sentinel, Bulwark. Furthermore, any additional skills we get from any level cap raise will have to be balanced for both DRK and PLD, which can be very wonky if DRK is a DPS.

I feel its better for everyone if DRK comes from its own class just like everyone else does. The way the armory/job crystal system works really hogties a lot of what SE can do. Honestly, I hope they do away with these systems entirely.

You previously mentioned that there would be some changes for the job/class system in 3.0, can you provide any more information about that?

I can't. I think that once we increase the level cap, there will be many new growth elements. That's not to say the old system will be completely eliminated and rebuilt, but the new system may or may not retain some of the elements.

Just something to keep in mind. What we think we know may not apply at all come Heavensward.

The whole branching jobs from classes thing doesn't really work well outside of Arcanist because of pets. Pets give an additional 4 skills alongside of the 5 which come from the job crystal. Aside from those 5(+4), the jobs are essentially identical. If SE were to do DRK from GLA, then DRK would play nearly identically to PLDs, aka Halone spam. Sure they'd have 5 new skills to play with, but 5 isn't enough to make the job feel much different. This would also force DRK to be some sort of tank or worse, an extremely tanky DPS due to Rampart, Sentinel, Bulwark. Furthermore, any additional skills we get from any level cap raise will have to be balanced for both DRK and PLD, which can be very wonky if DRK is a DPS.

I feel its better for everyone if DRK comes from its own class just like everyone else does. The way the armory/job crystal system works really hogties a lot of what SE can do. Honestly, I hope they do away with these systems entirely.

Not that I disagree with you at all but according to one interview the people asked Yoshi-P about how he mentioned more "Jobs" as opposed to more "classes" and his response was "You have a very good ear for this."

So from this we can at least assume that they will be "Jobs" and would have to branch off from the original classes. OF course this doesn't mean they aren't capable of revamping skills to fit both branches.

again, just speculation on my part.

Sometimes, expansions completely change gameplay styles for some MMORPGs or any type of online games. And possibility is that further expansions may make Disciple of War/Magic to completely disappear, and people can just choose their classes/jobs by switching their soul crystals. That's just my two cents, but I doubt it'll happen.

I was technically the only one who was okay with FFXI job changing system I think. I forgot how 1.0 job switching worked, but I literally didn't have to rely on equipping weapon to change a class.

I forgot how 1.0 job switching worked, but I literally didn't have to rely on equipping weapon to change a class.

Yes you did. For jobs, you needed the correct weapon equipped and then equipped the soulstone. You had to have something equipped in your main hand at all times, and it dictated your class.

I see. Well, I really hope they'll get deeper about the job system a bit more because to me it feels like DoW/DoM is going to be obsolete anytime soon since there will be more jobs than class and I think developers are trying to push to that anyways. 

After all FFXI all had jobs, not classes from the start.

Traditionally, the Dark Knights have been greatsword or sword and board.

But considering how Yoshi feels about 'tradition' in the series, the odds are just as much in favor of it being Marauder.