Wanted Criminal Characters

Nhago

I've actually wondered how to go about this. Tallera is wanted specifically by Ishgard and as a result stays in Ul'dah where she feels to be outside their authority. I've made it a point for the character to avoid Gridania for its proximity and Limsa for its high traffic.

A directory would be pretty neat, in case anyone wanted to be some sort of far-flung knight on the hunt.

I've actually wondered how to go about this.  Tallera is wanted specifically by Ishgard and as a result stays in Ul'dah where she feels to be outside their authority.  I've made it a point for the character to avoid Gridania for its proximity and Limsa for its high traffic.

A directory would be pretty neat, in case anyone wanted to be some sort of far-flung knight on the hunt.

Nowhere is beyond our holy retribution! 

A directory would be cool, actually. I've been trying to make a list of people wanted by Ishgard in the Making Connections board, but it's not getting a lot of attention. You're right though, there should be one directory where everyone can list any organizations they've run afoul of.

A lot of folk I know are pretty upfront about their activities via wikis etc. I don't think there should really be any obligation to post any sort of "alignment" or activities in a search info. Hell, I can barely fit what I do have in there. :lol:

If a person doesn't really check a wiki or do any looking into who they are rping with then they lose out on the opportunity for plot hooks and whatnot. Then again, you have folk that prefer to discover and do everything via character exposition and development and having what could be considered "OOC knowledge" shoved down their throats tends to annoy them.

This is, of course, not referring to the group of "evil" activities that should require OOC permission and planning regardless. No amount of warnings in a search info will save you from someone trying to push douchebaggery on you. >_>;

Ultimately, in the specific circumstance, I think it really comes down to the type of RP the person playing the "wanted" character is looking for. They might not want ambushes or walk-ups and would rather prefer a more planned sort of encounter and that is their prerogative and not really something I think is bad.

I've actually wondered how to go about this. Tallera is wanted specifically by Ishgard and as a result stays in Ul'dah where she feels to be outside their authority. I've made it a point for the character to avoid Gridania for its proximity and Limsa for its high traffic.

the fun part about that are potential bounty hunters haha who needs 'authority' pssshhh xD

and as noted before by others, while the thought and intention of a sort of 'criminal' directory is all well and good and has amazing potential for positive rp use, it's just way too easy for someone to accidentally 'and' purposefully abuse it. I have seen things like this used really well before, but I've seen them more often abused. What I think is a better approach is having an information broker (if there isn't any character like that already) and people that are bounty hunters or even military companies or groups could find these contacts if they haven't encountered these characters before and just go through finding out that information through IC means instead of a list. would encourage players to be a lil more attentive to their rp and sweeten reaching for rp outside of usual circles. :)

• 2 weeks later...

the fun part about that are potential bounty hunters haha who needs 'authority' pssshhh xD

and as noted before by others, while the thought and intention of a sort of 'criminal' directory is all well and good and has amazing potential for positive rp use, it's just way too easy for someone to accidentally 'and' purposefully abuse it. I have seen things like this used really well before, but I've seen them more often abused. What I think is a better approach is having an information broker (if there isn't any character like that already) and people that are bounty hunters or even military companies or groups could find these contacts if they haven't encountered these characters before and just go through finding out that information through IC means instead of a list. would encourage players to be a lil more attentive to their rp and sweeten reaching for rp outside of usual circles. :)

I can see that, yes. Perhaps the best avenue is posting an individual contact request? I certainly would not want a walk up in this case, as the hunter has to obtain some out of character info to make the pursuit more logical.

Funnily enough, everyone who knows is strangely okay with Tallera's crimes. "Wuuuuut you stabbed those people? That's okay you had a good reason right?" These are the same adventurers clobbering literally anything if its in a leve.

I can see that, yes. Perhaps the best avenue is posting an individual contact request? I certainly would not want a walk up in this case, as the hunter has to obtain some out of character info to make the pursuit more logical.

Funnily enough, everyone who knows is strangely okay with Tallera's crimes. "Wuuuuut you stabbed those people? That's okay you had a good reason right?" These are the same adventurers clobbering literally anything if its in a leve.

sounds about right lol I think the other side of the 50/50 spectrum is that people don't want to deal with the confrontational rp

For me I have linked my Wiki in my search info and with it included a section of "Common Knowledge" 

As in things that would be know about your character and who would know it. So for example, if I happened to be a criminal I would put

Ul'Dahn citizen would know:

-recognize zelmanov by name

- possibly recognize by sight

- know of recent crimes

Ul'dahn brass blade would know

-recognize by name

- definitely know by sight

etc. Find it useful to create RP tailored to you and plus it allows people you just met to roleplay concretely if they are out of their depth while their character is not