How Does Music Affect Your Roleplay

Dat Oni

Which do you prefer when creating leitmotifs?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer when creating leitmotifs?

• Symphonic Arranged Music
    • Soundtracks and Themes from Other Media (TV, Video Games, Movies)
    • Original Creations
    • Typical Music Labels and Favorite Bands

most of the music I tend to play during roleplay is during fighting or symbolic moments. Most of it tends to be homestuck music but lately Ive been listening to Hyrule warriors.

http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/album/strife

I used to listen to alot of two steps from hell and classic music before I moved to Balmung and way before when I started getting into roleplaying, and this is way before my time in FFXIV.

I listen to two steps from hell as well

;o

most of the music I tend to play during roleplay is during fighting or symbolic moments. Most of it tends to be homestuck music but lately Ive been listening to Hyrule warriors.

I used to listen to alot of two steps from hell and classic music before I moved to Balmung and way before when I started getting into roleplaying, and this is way before my time in FFXIV.

;o

Holy crap do I loves me some Two Steps from Hell

;o

I dont listen to it anymore. I think back about it and I think "I really listened to this? Wow, this is kinda boring." I still listen to it every now and then, usually when im bored, but I dont think I would be able to get back into it.    ._.

I sometimes use music from Final Fantasy titles, occasionally I will match music to roleplay.

However, there was a roleplay I found that was quite inspired for a pretty emotional scene using FFIX's You're Not Alone.

Essentially, one of the early roleplays I did I have Captain Saefinn become a bit of a wreck (I occasionally do that to him, I'm mean), basically his own crimes were coming to bite him and his crew in the arse and his crew didn't deserve to suffer for what he's done. He agreed to meet one of his crew at the Sanctum of The Twelve, to which he confessed all the evils and wrong he had done (at the time, his past was kept secret) and finding out one of his crew was missing by mysterious circumstances he decided the only way he could save his crew was to turn himself over to the Maelstrom. In this scene, the crew mate (Rose) was breaking down and begging him to reconsider and Saefinn just turned his back on her and went alone.

This roleplay was followed up by this story of his confession to the Maelstrom:

Captain's Downfall (Story)

Sometimes I have emotional, dark moments, but think for music inspired RP, I think that's probably the favourite I've done.

But, from roleplay like that, I have developed his character more and more, progressed him as a human being and actually, he's a lot less depressing, I have started being nice and letting things going well for him and even letting him have some happiness and bringing out his drunken and playful sides as well as some of his darker, but non-depressing stuff. But, who knows when I might be mean to him again? *Shrugs*

It's mostly a mood thing for me. If I need to be in a certain mood for a certain scene, I'll pop up something appropriate for whichever character. This is especially true when I need to write! Since spend more time stewing and thinking about stuff when I'm trying to write out things instead of just live RP.

• 1 month later...

I think a couple people mentioned similar things, but I tend to have an idea and often like to set fitting music to it after the fact.

I suppose a good example of this is the forum RP I have going right now with Gran - Running of the Piglets. I knew I wanted to do a goofy little thing about a baby behemoth wandering around getting into trouble. Whenever I'm in an aimless, peppy sort of mood, I often found myself humming Nina's theme from BoF3 (in no small part because it's simple and quite catchy), so I included it in the OOC preface for others to enjoy.

So, I suppose it's less that the music shapes the roleplay, but more that it adds... focus? Direction? I know that when I really want Chachan to do stuff that's lighthearted and goofy, I'll pull up Baby Elephant Walk. And even before coming to RPC, I liked finding appropriate music when choreographing a fight scene in a story. Odd enough, I've had ideas - and attributed music - for fights that haven't even happened yet.

... Is that weird? :blush:

After I make my characters I immediately start tying in songs to them. Many of my characters have specific playlists, and the music ranges from medieval sephardic arrangements (think when the Moors invaded Spain and then got kicked to the curb) to classical, to rap, pop and techno, with a dash of Middle Eastern and a few others.

I do this as eventually I start associating that music with the character, and it either helps with the flow of the writing or helps me force it when I'm having a tough time rping.