Gamewatch Interview with Yoshi-P

Kage

Dirk Knight (which will forever be its name for myself as well) is my job.  I've had a Dork Knight since XI, and having a Duck Knight in XIV would be a culmination in my character's personal story.  It's what I can finally face that long, arduous Item Level Wall for, as the last new content I did was 2.1-related.

Gods help my FC for tugging my sorry noob arse along.

I cannot wait for Doink Knight.

*stares*

...so my impression from this dev blog is that the relic quest for Zodiac Braves culminates in your relic becoming one of the iconic Final Fantasy weapons. Do I have that right?

Seems to be the case, though naming conventions are subject to change. We only "know" Excalibur right now, but there's no guessing what the others will become.

I was initially thinking of the XI relics, but Spharai was Spharai over there, and Glanzfaust was the Mythic weapon. The safe bet is likely Big Names from the series as a whole.

I heard from general FC chatter and LS chatter that Yoshi-P doesn't like how easy it has become to get ATMA's and he may take Relic Weapons out for 3.0 build and forward. 

):

I dont see the issue with how easy it is to get ATMA's now though. It still requires a fair bit of time and luck with the RNG and every other relic level past it gets even more tedious, hard and time consuming. I swear I had to camp for three hours in Coerthas just to wait for a fate to spawn for my book, and the time consumption for the higher relics gets much much longer.

In the end, he is the developer so if he did not like it, he could just nerf the drop rate back to it's original value if he doesnt like it.

Sorry this seems like I am venting, but it is actually relevant to an extent regarding the future of gearing in general, mainly because aside from doing HM primals, Moogle HM or nabbing high level craft weapons or tome weapons, there is virtually no solid easy way to get a good endgame weapon. Then there comes the fact that if they take relics, Tome weapons, COIL weapons and Shiva EX weapons ((Possibly odin weapons if he drops any.)) will be the only solid way to have good weapons gear for anyways. Taking away the relics would just take away our options we have to gear up.

With that said though, I wonder what the Dirk Knight Relic would look like and be called if Yoshida does not remove relics.   :o

I heard from general FC chatter and LS chatter that Yoshi-P doesn't like how easy it has become to get ATMA's and he may take Relic Weapons out for 3.0 build and forward. 

):

I dont see the issue with how easy it is to get ATMA's now though. It still requires a fair bit of time and luck with the RNG and every other relic level past it gets even more tedious, hard and time consuming. I swear I had to camp for three hours in Coerthas just to wait for a fate to spawn for my book, and the time consumption for the higher relics gets much much longer.

In the end, he is the developer so if he did not like it, he could just nerf the drop rate back to it's original value if he doesnt like it.

Sorry this seems like I am venting, but it is actually relevant to an extent regarding the future of gearing in general, mainly because aside from doing HM primals, Moogle HM or nabbing high level craft weapons or tome weapons, there is virtually no solid easy way to get a good endgame weapon. Then there comes the fact that if they take relics, Tome weapons, COIL weapons and Shiva EX weapons ((Possibly odin weapons if he drops any.)) will be the only solid way to have good weapons gear for anyways. Taking away the relics would just take away our options we have to gear up.

With that said though, I wonder what the Dirk Knight Relic would look like and be called if Yoshida does not remove relics.   :o

My guess on that, based solely on.. well, nothing except keeping with typical FF weapon naming conventions.. Ragnarok.

Take any unsourced commentary from a FC or LSmate about what Yoshi says or thinks with a grain of salt. "I heard" doesn't constitute data, especially since the devs for XIV are so open about the design process. There hasn't been (to my knowledge) any statement claiming the atma droprate is too high now, so don't worry.

That said, you can expect the next stage of the relic process to be the last one. We're getting 10 more levels in 3.0 and it's generally accepted that all of the stuff we're using at level 50 is going to become dust collectors or retainer gear once the level cap goes up. They need to reset everything anyway: If they introduce DArk Knight's weapon using the same design as the game uses now, it's inherently unfair to the people adopting the new class. Remember there are going to be new dungeons, new primals, new content with 3.0. Forcing people into trying to do AK again? Or Hydra? All those dungeons for Animus? FATE grinding in old zones? It's unlikely that the new relics will require anything of that sort.

To compare to Warcraft because the design is similar, this is the highest-statted weapon in all of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

Shadowmourne

Item Level 284

Binds when picked up

Unique

Two-Hand Axe

145 - 243 Damage Speed 3.70

(52.54 damage per second)

+29 Strength

+31 Stamina

+11 Critical Strike (0.10% @ L100)

+11 Haste (0.11% @ L100)

It took a ton of grinding to obtain. It outclassed everything else in the game. Balance be damned, Shadowmourne wrecked worlds.

This is a random green axe usable by the same class once the Cataclysm expansion came out. These were trash equipments available in bulk the DAY the new content went live.

Nethergarde Broadaxe

Item Level 289

Binds when equipped

Two-Hand Axe

129 - 194 Damage Speed 3.50

(46.23 damage per second)

I'm not saying we can expect the SAME sort of equalizing, but I'm saying I'd be surprised if we were still using Zodiac weapons or Coil3 gear come level 55, let alone 60.

Instead of relics of ages past I'd rather they start to create and innovate new weapons.

Not just have Cid be the only one,  but others.

If Yoshi-P didn't want to make atma easy he wouldn't have allowed the rates for everything to go up. More/faster tomes for the books. Higher drop rate. The fact is, the atma journey takes awhile. They'd be a -whole game- behind if they continued it in 3.0 from its current state.

My guess on that, based solely on.. well, nothing except keeping with typical FF weapon naming conventions.. Ragnarok.

A dirk be named Culloden.

I thought Yoshida wanted relics to be exceptionally difficult to obtain and very powerful? I mean, there is a reason we go through grind hell just to get an upgraded relic and that is because out of all the current endgame gear, Relic weapons are the most powerful. I feel like it would be a slap to the face of the players if they outdate relic weapons come 3.0 because of all the hard work we put into them. Better if they just rebalanced the relic's systems level cap requirements and power levels and keep it up there as the strongest weapon... or just add more relic levels. That always works.

If relics become outdated however, I think it would be a good re-balance if they made powerful weapons more available to obtain, because aside from trying to grind for a COIL or primal weapon, Relic's are the most stable (exempting being the hardest) way to get a good low level endgame weapon and upgrade it to help with endgame progression.

It's been a long time since he had time to get used to it. In the beginning they thought it would be harder (HM Trials *cough*Titan HM*cough*) but going into the Zodiac phase he saw that a -lot- more people had Relics let alone Zenith Relics. If he had issues then, he would never have allowed the atma rates to go up.

The hardest part of getting a relic is Titan HM. Everything else is just repeating tasks over and over.

I suspect we'll find a new questline for 3.0. The 2.0 quests for relic are all reforging/recreating/repowering existing relics, pieces of equipment from days gone by with the help of a retired, alcoholic pot hammerer. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we're helping some exquisite mastercrafter make a new legendary with hard-to-obtain materials or something of the sort.

Seriously, compare the process of getting XIV's relic weapons to any MMO's comparable grindy weapon and this is intro-level baby stuff.

All I can say is that the final product of the relics better be amazing.

Personally i'm one of those people who got to a certain point, got bored, and bought a soldiery weapon instead. There just doesn't seem like a real need to go all the way through the relic quests right now. In my opinion at least.

I was under the impression that the relics would achieve their "final form"... and then an entirely new chain of relic quests would begin in 3.0 that uses that same "final form" as a base.

I don't believe they're going to just throw out that entire progression come 3.0 whatsoever. Have seen absolutely nothing in an official capacity that indicates to the contrary.

We haven't heard confirmation that the 'final form' of the current relics will be used in 3.0 either.

And the fact still remains that there needs to be a bigger incentive to actually bother with them. We have alternative options these days, would have thought that they'd have made the relics a touch more powerful on equal ilvl to make all of that work a little more tempting.

From an endgame and min/max standpoint though, Relic weapons are THE most powerful items in the game if built right in the later stages of the relic. I mean, you can still do endgame with non-relic weapons and stuff but for people who tend to want to min/max their endgame effective item wise, a Relic is the most optimum choice, aside from the fact they are rather time consuming to actually pull through.

While there are many offshoot weapons that are easier to get in endgame than relics, overtime though, relics will prove to be the most potent.

IDK though. Time will tell if we get a buildup of the current relics we get.

They're customisable, that's the appeal to them and I get that but there are other routes to go down right now. Several of which seem more appealing, to me at least.

You could go down the relic route if you want to maximise your stats.

Or you could go for the bought weapons if you're not overly fussed. Go for a solidery one, work your way up to an ironworks one. 

Or there's the coil weapons which bis guides, at least for the classes i've checked, lean towards.

Like I said earlier for me, personally, there just isn't the appeal to bother with the relic quests these days.

Relics are for bragging rights. Yoshi's even commented to that regard that they're meant to be status pieces. It's also nice to have something to work towards while waiting for something else to be available, be it Dreadwyrm weapons or Ironworks tomestones being added to CT3 in 2.5. As it stands the only option for weapons now are lucky T13 drops, i115 T9 drops or farmable i110s. If you worked on a relic, you could have an i115 with "perfect" stats on it.

Biggest question is whether or not the next upgrade will be the final one that jumps them to 135.