New And Greeting

Littlekitten

Good Evening,

My original post was a little long so making it shorter,

My name is Tricia and I do not have much experience with roleplaying.

I saw some people doing it and thought it would be fun.

So I was thinking about changing from Excalibur to Balmung but wanted to meet some people there before I did.

I am a very Random, hyper, and care free person and I hope I get to meet some fun and friendly people I can have adventures with.

Also I normally play with 2 of my rl friends and when I convert they said they will too so might need a home for them too if anyone is offering. :P

Welcome! 

You can read the naming conventions here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/491-Lore (Stickied topics in the top)

The naming conventions basically give a bit more culture/character to the various races, just like there's a difference between common names in for example scandinavia compared to africa or so. For some of the races their name indicates their social standing or something they have achieved in life etc. 

It's always a good idea to read them and get a gist of it, but there are ways to deviate from the naming conventions if you just can't think of a name that fits in.

Hello, and welcome.  :>

I can understand your sentiments about wanting to know someone a little bit before jumping over.  Not all the time, but some of the time, people like little whispers or in game 'pokes' before RP, and that sort of thing also occasionally makes me nervous (even though I am also one of those people who likes a poke!).

But anyway, there are a bunch of neat RP groups / players around, so you should be able to find something over here.  :>

I can't help but be curious, do you have any ideas for your character yet, or what they're like?  That often time sparks some potential connections with people who might make some interesting RP with a like personality.

And, as for the naming conventions, here is that link:  http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/491-Lore  (As was mentioned in the post above me!  I'm just slow, it seems.)

Basically, the conventions are in the lore as how the different races tend to be named.  It's followed in the game with the NPCs and so forth, so people wishing to create a believable character within the world often follow the conventions for their appropriate race, or, at times, deviate if their character story is appropriate (such as being raised by a different race, for example).  Some of the parameters are neat (such as denoting first or second sons within a name, denoting clan, or being similar to a particular real-world language such as French or German)  but are also kind of hard to 'wing it' and manage to get it right without looking first at what the norms are.  There are also some player-made lore friendly name generators out there too!  (Though I personally always like to come up with names myself.)

No I unforchantly do not have any kind of story made for my character yet. But I think because of that it might make it easier for me because I can adapt to any group I find I might like because dont really know what I want yet. I guess it would be more important to me to find people I like rping with vs the story they are acctually creating. if that makes any sence

Also as you all know from reading my post I am currently looking for a group and to meet people and Ive never been on balmung before. I was looking at the linkshell list and to be honest I felt overwhelmed can anyone give me some advice please?

Hello there!

Assuming you made an alt on Balmung already to test the waters. I'd suggest the Open RP linkshell to help you see what people are like. Its an out of character LS for people to chat and find people of similar interest to Roleplay with. I do know a few others, but they aren't listed here at the moment sadly.

You can always poke me in game if you want more information, I'm usually free most of the time to help out new people interested in trying things. Hope you find the server to your taste and have fun!

Hello there!

Assuming you made an alt on Balmung already to test the waters. I'd suggest the Open RP linkshell to help you see what people are like. Its an out of character LS for people to chat and find people of similar interest to Roleplay with. I do know a few others, but they aren't listed here at the moment sadly.

You can always poke me in game if you want more information, I'm usually free most of the time to help out new people interested in trying things. Hope you find the server to your taste and have fun!

Thank you so much and no I dont know why but didnt even think about making an alt to try it out. Honestly I am currently out of town so figured would be the perfect time to meet people here first. But making an alt when I get back sounds like a much better idea. :P

Energetic and carefree, huh? If your character mirrors you, then Chachan might have a new frand to play with. :D

Most of the good suggestions have already been handed out, so I'll just add this little bit: Don't fret too much about adhering to the naming conventions. In-game, it's also stated that the name you give could also be a nickname or monicker. I mainly stuck to the Lalafell naming convention because it's adorable and I enjoy that sort of thing. Though, with races like the Miqo'te and the Roegadyn, it can also help you start putting together a more defined character concept.

Just give it a spin (like the aforementioned alt first idea) and, most importantly, have fun!

Aw well thank you both of you and yea I am a little hyper and random in character too. I dont think I really cared about making an alt because the only thing Id be worried about losing would be the 2 rl friends I play with on my current server but they said they would come with me. So really had no reason to stay on excalibur. ^^