Hello! ^D^

Maya Oreyth

Hi everyone!

As you can see, I'm new here. I registered as my character's full name because why not? So you can just call me Maya OOC. I usually go by Celty, so whichever works for you I guess?

Aaah, sorry I'm so bad at these intro threads. I guess I should start with a little bit about myself.

I'm a college graduate and I currently have a full time job that... I will eventually grow to tolerate :'D and I majored in Printmaking! Printmaking is basically drawing, but more process-intensive.

I've been playing FFXIV for a few months now, starting in the summer. I'm an old player from FFXI, which I started as a wee teenager in 2004 and eventually quit in 2010. I miss the old game, and at first I was disheartened with 14 because of how different it was. But after giving it a chance and my full attention, it has my undying love (except for the parts that I don't love, but those are technical and generally mild.)

For as long as I've been in the Final Fantasy MMORPG business, I've been rping for way longer! I've been RPing for around ...ahh, I started at 11 years old, and I'm 24 now so that's, what... 13 years? ish? Oh good god, should I be embarrassedjfkdsfjldfjls

I currently admin a Skyrim forum, and I've been experiencing an itch for some FFXIV roleplay. I'm glad I found this site because it will allow me to develop my character and get to interact with others! Hopefully she'll be as interesting to you guys as she's become to me in the last few weeks. Writing is one of my greatest passions, so I'll never pass up an opportunity to pump out some narrative, especially for a game that I adore to pieces.

Umm... I think that's about it? I'm from the Cactuar server, and there's little to no RPing on there whatsoever. Which is kinda sad but at the same time, I don't really like RPing in-game like that... I need to be able to have time to think over my responses and what my character would say, as opposed to anything rapidfire. Um... I guess if you have any questions, or want to RP with my character, give me a shout? I'm going to busy myself with looking around so I can get my character set up... if that's okay? xD I don't wanna go too fast on here in case there's something I need to do first. ovo It's lovely to meet you all! ^D^

Hiya!

Welcome to the community. A shame no in-game RP, but I definitely know what you mean about the faster-paced nature of it. I'd be happy to RP anything out on the forums if we happen to find a way to cross paths.

Do you already have an idea for your character? There are a LOT of resources in many parts of the forums here. Hit me up if you ever have any questions. :)

Welcome to the RPC!

I definitely feel you about needing time to think about your responses, and I would be down for some forum RP as well once you have your character settled. I haven't dipped my toe into in-game RP yet either, need to do some stalking- er, observing before I jump in.

I haven't been here long but everyone's nice, don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. :D

Thanks, all of you, for the welcome!

@Faye - I actually borrowed the name from a character from the anime Durarara!! >w< I thought the name was cute so I adopted it. Also yiss kitties!

@Unnamed - I do, actually! I want to incorporate what I have in-game onto the forum, which brings me to what I feel like should be an obvious question, but one way or the other I'm not sure? The character is a black mage, maxed out (with several other jobs, but I don't think incorporating those as canon would be realistic). Is that okay? Or is she starting fresh in the growth department? I'm less interested in having her grow in abilities and more about going on a more personal journey, all things considered. (I'll have her history drafted once I figure out how to create her wiki page).

@Miryn - I'll be sure to ask if I come up with any! Thanks for the welcome!! <3

@Faye - I actually borrowed the name from a character from the anime Durarara!! >w

@Unnamed - I do, actually! I want to incorporate what I have in-game onto the forum, which brings me to what I feel like should be an obvious question, but one way or the other I'm not sure? The character is a black mage, maxed out (with several other jobs, but I don't think incorporating those as canon would be realistic). Is that okay? Or is she starting fresh in the growth department? I'm less interested in having her grow in abilities and more about going on a more personal journey, all things considered. (I'll have her history drafted once I figure out how to create her wiki page).

@Miryn - I'll be sure to ask if I come up with any! Thanks for the welcome!!

For combat-related classes, I'd probably keep it to a couple for "mastery" so avoid what others would call "special-snowflaking".  It doesn't mean you'd have to be useless in the other ones, but a person who can do everything would feel a little stale, no?  I don't think anyone would have any issues with a couple classes, maybe one job, and a few crafting/gathering of decent skills. An example would be Franz, the character I play, who primarily fights with an axe or uses a tome for arcanima. He's not particularly the "best" at any, but if I had to place him somewhere in the leveling scale, he'd probably be a Marauder-Scholar mix for RP. He knows his way around a forge and hammer well, so smithing of any kind is where he'd excel. Naturally, he's got basic competence in the other crafts, but in practice, not so much. I'd assume he knows how to chop down a tree or pick some plants, but he may not know much about it.

For Black Mage, would there be a reason she studies magic from the Void, rather than say, the astral/umbral magic a Thaumaturge uses? 

Edit: Here's a nice write up by Sounsyy on some of the class/job history.

@Faye - I actually borrowed the name from a character from the anime Durarara!! >w< I thought the name was cute so I adopted it. Also yiss kitties!

@Miryn - I'll be sure to ask if I come up with any! Thanks for the welcome!! <3

For combat-related classes, I'd probably keep it to a couple for "mastery" so avoid what others would call "special-snowflaking".  It doesn't mean you'd have to be useless in the other ones, but a person who can do everything would feel a little stale, no?  I don't think anyone would have any issues with a couple classes, maybe one job, and a few crafting/gathering of decent skills. An example would be Franz, the character I play, who primarily fights with an axe or uses a tome for arcanima. He's not particularly the "best" at any, but if I had to place him somewhere in the leveling scale, he'd probably be a Marauder-Scholar mix for RP. He knows his way around a forge and hammer well, so smithing of any kind is where he'd excel. Naturally, he's got basic competence in the other crafts, but in practice, not so much. I'd assume he knows how to chop down a tree or pick some plants, but he may not know much about it.

For Black Mage, would there be a reason she studies magic from the Void, rather than say, the astral/umbral magic a Thaumaturge uses? 

Edit: Here's a nice write up by Sounsyy on some of the class/job history.

That makes a lot of sense, yeah. I was planning on keeping her expertise to a minimum, because having her multiple jobs would feel really confusing for me. Black Mage and Goldsmith (goldsmith actually makes more sense than black mage due to her history and upbringing) are what I'm looking at right now for her, and there is a reason for her turning to the void as opposed to Astral/Umbral magicks. I'll have that outlined in her history as well :3 And thanks for the link! It will definitely come in handy x3 OwO