How dangerous is Eorzea to live in?

Maril

I would surmise that the thickness of horrific monsters is more MMO mechanic than actuality.  Consider that in the real world apex predators can have solo territory measuring tens or hundreds of miles and often fight eachother for dominance.  Would a dozen morbols just loaf around in the open like that?  Probably not unless its some sort of spawning patch like in Aurum Vale.  On the other hand, a single morbol is more akin to the one in that cinematic than the ones you shovel through in Gridania.

Furthermore, the world is almost certainly far larger than its ingame presence.  Monsters are likely less common than bandits on the main roads, so commoners are probably more likely to be accosted by their fellow man or beastman.

Considering that real ants can span -large- areas as a colony just to search for food.

And Cutters Cry isn't too far from Ul'Dah where one could be sure there's no worry.

The ants would probably be a huge problem regardless. One colony can number in the thousands.

Strange that the ants don't seem to get much quest coverage as the huge danger you would expect them to be.  Its a miracle there are any refugees alive in Thanalan if they are pound for pound as tough as real ants.  Maybe they are stupid, or territorial?

Or maybe that's why Ala Mhigo is gated and Ul'Dah is the only city to have a big ass wall surrounding it?

Ever think of that? Don't need a quest dedicated to ants to know a colony of ants individually twice the size of a human = threat.

The history behind Cutters Cry adds to this.

I can't naysay you because despite having cleared most of the Coils I've never actually unlocked Cutter's Cry.  

I like to think that Ul'dah is walled because it's on a big empty flat with no other defenses.  Gridania is at the heart of a forest protected by powerful elementals and Limsa's walls are in the form of sea gates.  If the ants wanted Ul'dah they would burrow in from beneath.

Phew for a second I thought my last post was a little too"This guy is a dick" toned and you'd think I was being a smartass. Glad to see that's not the case :) 

And I wouldn't bother unlocking Cutters Cry. I hate that dungeon with a blinding passion.

Ima go run it again now just to solidify my reason to despise that long ass boring place.

I'd rather suffer through Toto Rak.

Considering that real ants can span -large- areas as a colony just to search for food.

And Cutters Cry isn't too far from Ul'Dah where one could be sure there's no worry.

The ants would probably be a huge problem regardless. One colony can number in the thousands.

Strange that the ants don't seem to get much quest coverage as the huge danger you would expect them to be.  Its a miracle there are any refugees alive in Thanalan if they are pound for pound as tough as real ants.  Maybe they are stupid, or territorial?

Or maybe that's why Ala Mhigo is gated and Ul'Dah is the only city to have a big ass wall surrounding it?

Ever think of that? Don't need a quest dedicated to ants to know a colony of ants individually twice the size of a human = threat.

I can't naysay you because despite having cleared most of the Coils I've never actually unlocked Cutter's Cry.  

I like to think that Ul'dah is walled because it's on a big empty flat with no other defenses.  Gridania is at the heart of a forest protected by powerful elementals and Limsa's walls are in the form of sea gates.  If the ants wanted Ul'dah they would burrow in from beneath.

Phew for a second I thought my last post was a little too"This guy is a dick" toned and you'd think I was being a smartass. Glad to see that's not the case :) 

And I wouldn't bother unlocking Cutters Cry. I hate that dungeon with a blinding passion.

Ima go run it again now just to solidify my reason to despise that long ass boring place.

I actually like cutter's cry.

I actually like cutter's cry.

And now i hereby declare you out of words for today.

*mutes Berrod*

I'd imagine; given the implied size of the world, versus the actual in-game view of it and the lore... the world -is- dangerous.  Definitely.  And there's a fair amount of death before people's time.

But traveling is honestly not all that bad.  The roads are generally kept relatively safe, there's body-guards, ferries, chocoboing services, and caravans for traveling.  On top of that, most of the most dangerous areas and dungeons are, size-corrected, relatively distant from places people live.

It's dangerous, but nowhere near as dangerous as the layout of the game and constant influx of "My god!  DANGER!" is occuring.  In fact, if you attribute for size and traveling, the sheer amount of events happening in the game occur over a period of a year or so.