How dangerous is Eorzea to live in?

Maril

Looking for peoples viewpoints (and also lore) on Eorzea and how dangerous it is to live in.

Like, what would you say is normal occurrences, do we have some areas with particularity high crime rates, is there somewhere that is regarded as being safer than everywhere else - and how much conflict would you say is normal? I'm thinking between people, factions, companies, etc. 

Personally I tend to regard Eorzea to be a place where you have to keep your wits about you if you want to live into old age (as also mentioned on the lore dev-panel) and I do not tend to regard violent conflict between characters to be out of the ordinary, unless say, someone continuously gets attacked like every day for a month. 

Recently I have seen other takes on it though, so I am curious now as to what people think :)

Personally, I think that for non-adventurers or martial-minded people (anyone remotely like DoM or DoW), it is -very- dangerous.

Not just to Lalafell but Hyur, Roegadyn, etc. Many monsters are -huge- not just in comparison to Lalas. Fern made a point to say that most were young because outside of the cities it's pretty much a hazard.

I'd also say that person on person crime is big but really not as big as the fact that monsters will kill and eat anyone,.

Well to answer your question with another question: How do you actually die?

I mean sure it might be dangerous but Raise is a fairly common spell now, so sure you might die but a nice conjuer might come along and help you, so what are the long lasting implications of the raise spell?

Is it barrowing time from the end of your life? Is each raise 5 minutes off the tail end of your life?

Or is death now like suffering a concussion? Have one to many and it just stops working, and thats it? 

I mean i am super new to RPing in FFXIV but surely we don't all pretend that Raise, Cure and Psych arent things, on top of that there are always potions.

But to really answer your question I would imagine that its dangerous outside the walls but most people inside are somewhat all right, a few thieves and beggers a dead body now and again but not eveyone is going to shank you in the back.

But thats just like.. one cats crazy rantings man.. *passes the catnip to the next poster.*

YMMV, but as far as Raise goes I've always considered it one of the more powerful healing spells, and as such it's not really something that healers are able to throw out like candy (and I think the long cast time and to a certain extent the conjurer story support me up on this). Of course, with more experience it's probably easier, but even then in a large battle there's a good chance that you'd run into situations where it's raise one or two people or heal everyone else. Though I do like Aaron's idea that there's only a certain window where you can use it; it seems to fit with what we know about death and aether.

Now, as to how safe Eorzea is… Well, I’ve always thought that the cities seem to be fairly safe, albeit with a few caveats that basically boil down to “keep your head down and mind your own business in Limsa and Ul’dah” and “don’t piss off the elementals in Gridania”. The areas surrounding the cities seem to be alright as well, if the settlements and guard patrols are anything to go by. Sure, there might be the occasional monster attack (going off the marauder storyline), but it doesn’t seem like an everyday thing. There’s probably also going to be some regional differences as well; overall, La Noscea and the Shroud have more of a “settled” feel to me, what with all of the villages in the Shroud and the farms in La Noscea.

Once you get farther away from the large settlements though, all bets are off. Beast tribes, bandits, giant monsters… You might be okay if you stuck to more traveled roads, but it still seems like a very good idea to either know how to defend yourself or hire someone who can. Or better yet, both.

From what we learned in the MSQ about souls and aether, I'd say Raise/Resurrection have a very limited time window that they can be used after someone has truly died. Usually though, I play it as an ability that recovers someone from unconsciousness instead of death. When an RP wants their character to die, they tend to stay dead.

I agree with everyone else. Virtually every bit of lore that isn't purely informational is there to show just how terrible life in Eorzea is.

In ARR, thousands were enslaved by the Garlean Empire under less than humanitarian conditions and until the PC came along there was nothing anyone could do about it.

In Ul'dah I would imagine that for the most part only heavily armed cheaters prosper, and if you get fired from your job or quit you will starve to death because no way are you getting another job and the government is not too keen on the idea of welfare. The Sultansworn and Syndicate constantly at each others throats threatening a brutal civil war haven't helped matters either.

Limsa Lominsa has a standard of living comparable to Bangladesh, the constant threat of the Shagain & Kobold beastmen, and a young government rife with corruption and internal politics. 

At times it's difficult to say whether being a "Bad Boss" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadBoss) is the exception or the rule in Gridania. Kan-E-Senna is shown to disagree strongly with this trope, but the PC almost always has to deal with various townsfolk and Wood Wailers that do fit the trope.

Things ain't looking too peachy in Ishgard anymore either since the start of the War against the Dragons, a brief threat of civil war and dictatorship on the horizon of possibilities.

And this isn't even counting the threat of the Primals and the Ascians.

To add to this, monsters aside, I think the terrain being reshaped by the Calamity could also provide some dangerous hazards. We can assume that adventurers won't die from falling off cliffs and whatnot, that would be anticlimactic, (thus the whole 1 hp thing) but I think it would only add to the hazards of being in places like the Twelveswood and Coerthas. There are pitfalls and steep drops everywhere in some sections of those areas. For an average civilian, unaccustomed to the lay of the land and traveling in general, traversing some parts of the map without assistance from a chocobo porter or merchant convoy could be nigh impossible.

Also assuming spells like raise are essentially always "saving you from near death," what if a person was trapped in an area not easily reached? Raise isn't a perfect solution to all situations; it's convenient for the sake of gameplay, but in actual setting terms, I can't imagine every person in the continent can be saved by a sparse number of talented adventurers or Grand Company mages.

It wasn't that long ago in actual human history that violence and abuse was truly rampant (unlike today where we merely believe it is).  The odds of facing a violent death was exceptionally high during the middle ages, for instance.  You would have known someone, probably a close family member who was violently killed.  These things happen today, of course, but during the middle ages, almost every family would have some direct experience.

For FFXIV, I think that anyone leaving the city or some other organized shelter would know they were taking their life into their hands - that there was a damn good chance they'd never come home.

This is all just my opinion tho.  For all I know, Eorzea is perfectly safe.  But considering how often something tries to kill my character, it doesn't feel safe at all. I do realize that's a game mechanic but still, Eorzea is almost certainly many, many times more dangerous than our world.

I thought it'd be fun to break down a region and examine it. Let's go with Thanalan, since it's the least complicated one!

Central Thanalan: We have Ul'Dah where life is spend or be spent, basically. Then there's outside in the wilderness, where we have giant ants, angry refugees, quiqirn, Cutter's cry where the Darklight folks died -- and treacherous Sil'Dih ruins! 

Western Thanalan: The contrast between safe and dangerous is high here. Closer to the city we have Scorpion's Crossing, the Hammers and the Silver Bazaar, which all seem RELATIVELY safe -- though apparently the Bazaar runs into trouble with enterprising businessmen. The Copperbell mines proved that even laboring life can get hairy. Vesper bay is a bit of a reprieve...then we go up to parata's peace, crawling with giants and choked with noxious gases. To top that off, Cape Westwind and Garlean forces are ready to defend their little space with deadly desperation.

Eastern Thanalan: Camp Drybone is perhaps the only safe haven, with the Golden Bazaar experiencing frequent Amalj'aa incursions and the ruins of the invisible city crawling with undead and lesser voidsent. Highbridge SEEMS safe, but the constant quiqirn invasions say otherwise! The Burning wall is just downright treacherous in itself. One wrong step...! After that, the road to the Shroud presents harsh wildlife and Corpse Brigade stragglers who will rob and leave a traveler dead on the dirt. 

Southern Thanalan: WE CAN'T STOP HERE. THIS IS LIZARD COUNTRY.

Northern Thanalan: Not even getting into the abundance of a highly volatile substance, the presence of Castrum Meridianum and the ruins of the Praetorium present enough danger, likely being chocked full of Garleans who have nowhere else to go. Cornered animals, and all. 

Can you imagine a breakdown of all the other zones? So much danger!

Oooooo can I do the Twelveswood?

Starting as if coming from Thanalan.

South Shroud: Right off the bat, Coeurlclaw Poachers that occupy the old airship landing pad. Camp Tranquil? More like Camp Thisisabadplaceforacamp. Watch out for the ruins with all the Deepvoid Deathmice... Yay, more Poachers, but they invited their Goblin bomber friends and the Redbelly Wasp Bandits. Is Buscarron's safe? If you don't mind bar fights. Quarrymill is safe, but in order to make it so they built it like a fort.

Central Shroud: Safest region in the Shroud if you watch out for Diremite ambushes along the roads. Don't go up Matron's Lethe... Just don't. Also the ruins... Well, creepy ruins are never safe no matter where you are.

East Shroud: Make sure to visit the Sanctum of the Twelve! Don't mind the hostile boars the size of Rhinos. Hawthorne Hut is safe, but when you leave you get your choice of huge hostile vilekin or Raptor Poachers. Past Little Solace is just pure Greenwrath, and Garleans who really regret their jobs. If you go to the Southern part of the region you get a nice view of a Garlean Castrum as Gull Knats nom on your skull.

West Shroud: ROFL JK, it went boom.

North Shroud: It seems mostly safe until you get to the part with the Ixal. Just stay on the road to Hyrstmill, and all you have to worry about is Opo-opos throwing things at you. However, heading to Fallgourd Float is a nightmare. Giant scorpions. Yes, I know they are called Banemites, but they are not mites. They are Giant purple scorpions the size of your cottage. There is even a Wood Wailer near the bridge that leads to the path to Fallgourd, and he basically says "Go dis way and u die." Yet, they put a tavern and inn in Fallgourd Float, and somehow expect/get business?? Leaving the Float on a Westward path is asking to be blown up and crushed then eaten by a Ziz.

The way I see it, it may seem dangerous but we are looking at the world in gameplay's perspective and the main hero's perspective.

I feel that Eorzea is actually 5 times larger than it  looks in game, and has more wide views. It literally should take at least 1-5 days to pass Thanalan (Central) in actual perspective.

If we see it in hero's perspective and the gameplay's perspective - there is no way regular civilians can walk from Ul'dah to Black Brush Station while there are antlings popping out to ambush you. Locals -do- walk to BBS frequently for like 6 hour-12 hour walk realistically.

Black Shroud is dangerous period however, and same for MorDhona.

Considering if you start at Ul'Dah and go into Central Thanalan right of the bat to see there's ants bigger than you that are hostile. 

I'd say Eorzea is pretty dangerous. 

Ain't even talking bout the BIGASS Morbols in Gridania.

I would surmise that the thickness of horrific monsters is more MMO mechanic than actuality. Consider that in the real world apex predators can have solo territory measuring tens or hundreds of miles and often fight eachother for dominance. Would a dozen morbols just loaf around in the open like that? Probably not unless its some sort of spawning patch like in Aurum Vale. On the other hand, a single morbol is more akin to the one in that cinematic than the ones you shovel through in Gridania.

Furthermore, the world is almost certainly far larger than its ingame presence. Monsters are likely less common than bandits on the main roads, so commoners are probably more likely to be accosted by their fellow man or beastman.

Indeed, the actual size of Eorzea/Aldenard should be... well, roughly the size of Africa, honestly. Things are compressed down a hundredfold for the sake of player convenience and also because, let's face it, we simply don't yet have the technology to support rendering out an entire continent's worth of land.

Mob density, therefore, wouldn't be anywhere near what we see in-game and, as such, it should be far safer to just stick to the roads than it seems in-game (though you still have to watch out for bandits and beast tribe incursions). The Sagolii Desert alone should be so large that trying to traverse its entirety is basically suicide without bringing along excess supplies.

Also, keep in mind that, yes, the laws of physics are simply different in Eorzea and people are generally more capable than they would be on Earth. Just a little bit, mind you. You still have to actually train and stuff to be able to fight some of those nasties, but it's not nearly as hopeless as it looks at first blush. Hey, if Lalafell can survive in this world, you probably could too! Maybe. Possibly.

Considering if you start at Ul'Dah and go into Central Thanalan right of the bat to see there's ants bigger than you that are hostile. 

I would surmise that the thickness of horrific monsters is more MMO mechanic than actuality.  Consider that in the real world apex predators can have solo territory measuring tens or hundreds of miles and often fight eachother for dominance.  Would a dozen morbols just loaf around in the open like that?  Probably not unless its some sort of spawning patch like in Aurum Vale.  On the other hand, a single morbol is more akin to the one in that cinematic than the ones you shovel through in Gridania.

Furthermore, the world is almost certainly far larger than its ingame presence.  Monsters are likely less common than bandits on the main roads, so commoners are probably more likely to be accosted by their fellow man or beastman.

Considering that real ants can span -large- areas as a colony just to search for food.

And Cutters Cry isn't too far from Ul'Dah where one could be sure there's no worry.

The ants would probably be a huge problem regardless. One colony can number in the thousands.

I would surmise that the thickness of horrific monsters is more MMO mechanic than actuality.  Consider that in the real world apex predators can have solo territory measuring tens or hundreds of miles and often fight eachother for dominance.  Would a dozen morbols just loaf around in the open like that?  Probably not unless its some sort of spawning patch like in Aurum Vale.  On the other hand, a single morbol is more akin to the one in that cinematic than the ones you shovel through in Gridania.

Furthermore, the world is almost certainly far larger than its ingame presence.  Monsters are likely less common than bandits on the main roads, so commoners are probably more likely to be accosted by their fellow man or beastman.

Considering that real ants can span -large- areas as a colony just to search for food.

And Cutters Cry isn't too far from Ul'Dah where one could be sure there's no worry.

The ants would probably be a huge problem regardless. One colony can number in the thousands.

Strange that the ants don't seem to get much quest coverage as the huge danger you would expect them to be. Its a miracle there are any refugees alive in Thanalan if they are pound for pound as tough as real ants. Maybe they are stupid, or territorial?

Strange that the ants don't seem to get much quest coverage as the huge danger you would expect them to be.  Its a miracle there are any refugees alive in Thanalan if they are pound for pound as tough as real ants.  Maybe they are stupid, or territorial?

Or maybe that's why Ala Mhigo is gated and Ul'Dah is the only city to have a big ass wall surrounding it?

Ever think of that? Don't need a quest dedicated to ants to know a colony of ants individually twice the size of a human = threat.

The history behind Cutters Cry adds to this.

Strange that the ants don't seem to get much quest coverage as the huge danger you would expect them to be.  Its a miracle there are any refugees alive in Thanalan if they are pound for pound as tough as real ants.  Maybe they are stupid, or territorial?

Or maybe that's why Ala Mhigo is gated and Ul'Dah is the only city to have a big ass wall surrounding it?

Ever think of that? Don't need a quest dedicated to ants to know a colony of ants individually twice the size of a human = threat.

The history behind Cutters Cry adds to this.

I can't naysay you because despite having cleared most of the Coils I've never actually unlocked Cutter's Cry.

I like to think that Ul'dah is walled because it's on a big empty flat with no other defenses. Gridania is at the heart of a forest protected by powerful elementals and Limsa's walls are in the form of sea gates. If the ants wanted Ul'dah they would burrow in from beneath.