Eorzean Zodiac

Keir

(Forgive me if someone has said this before and I missed it.)

Since there have been hints that we will be able to choose a birthday or 'nameday' for our characters, and that it might possibly influence statistics, I got to thinking about the Eorzean zodiac.

When information was released about the Twelve, and each was given a different moon, this kind of clicked into place for me.

Like the Zodiac signs, it is my assumption that each of the Twelve will rule over a zodiacal sign as well. It makes sense, since their moons all go in an elemental pattern:

Azeyma - First Moon - Fire

Nophica - Second Moon - Earth

Thaliak - Third Moon - Water

Llymlaen - Fourth Moon - Wind

Halone - Fifth Moon - Ice

Byregot - Sixth Moon - Lightning

Nald'thal - Seventh Moon - Fire

Althyk - Eighth Moon - Earth

Nymeia - Ninth Moon - Water

Oschon - Tenth Moon - Wind

Menphina - Eleventh Moon - Ice

Rhalgr - Twelfth Moon - Lightning

I think this might give us an insight into a little bit about our characters' horoscopes, should we wish to play around with that, especially given the specialties of each of the Twelve. For example, it might be fortuitous for a seamstress to be born in the ninth moon of the year, given that Nymeia is a weaver.

It also may mean that we are assigned a certain element depending when in the year our character is born. Like, if you were born in the twelfth month, you might have good defense against lightning.

Please note that this is all conjecture.

Interesting idea. With this Zodiak symbolism, I wonder if they're going more for the pantheon of gods in the Hindu tradition. I could, however, see the elemental signs relating to the Norse and Greek mythological standpoints too.

I'm excited to see the portrayal of the Gods, and the creation stories related to them -- I want to draw some nice lines so I can have an idea of how to make characters in terms of real mythos to Eorzean mythos :)

(PS: I vote Norse mythos. Heimdallr kicks butt! And Thor too, of course. I want a Gjallerhorn D:)

(Gungnir or gtfo!)

Seriously, I just noticed that the order of 'months' or moons goes the same as two iterations of the elemental days in FFXI, discounting Lightsday and Darksday. I never realized they went in sequence until just now. That's pretty awesome stuff!!

what would the signs be then? I really hope there is sloth... OR even better... BEAR!

I wish fire was actually an element, it'd be like frank's red hot sauce, I put that sh*t on everything!

I have a hard enough time picking my characters looks, if I have to pick a birthday that effects my shiaza it's gonna take me days to get in game! In Aion I spent more time making my character than I did actually playing, hahaha.

I hadn't even considered birthdays yet! *dies* I'm with bear; it takes me so long to create things if there's any sort of detailed options available. I wind up making micro-adjustments and overthinking the damn thing, and sometimes later I'll look at it and be like 'wtf was I thinking?!'

*sigh*

(Gungnir or gtfo!)

Seriously, I just noticed that the order of 'months' or moons goes the same as two iterations of the elemental days in FFXI, discounting Lightsday and Darksday. I never realized they went in sequence until just now. That's pretty awesome stuff!!

Doesn't FFXI go Fire-Water-Wind-Earth-Lightning-Ice?

This one goes Fire-Earth-Water-Wind-Ice-Lightning

Nope:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Days_of_the_Week

Fire > Earth > Water > Wind > Ice > Lightning > Light > Dark

In terms of day progression.

Elemental weakness is a little different:

Fire > Ice > Wind > Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire ...etc.

and ( Dark <<>> Light )

I just thought it was cool that the sequence of days is keeping the same elemental progression as the 'moons' on the Eorzaan calendar.

:approve:

Hmmm.... Interesting ideas here...

So could this be taken as when you're born you are expected to worship the God of your birth or would it be based on the Patron of your city? Or would you be expected to worship both? And what if you chose a profession would you worship 3 as your main Gods?

Lol.

Imagine the possibilities of craziness. lol.

I personally am going on the idea of the Greek patron Gods of the city states. I'm not sure the Horoscopes will have much influence on day to day unless there is a cult dedicated to the horoscope/fate ruling thier lives.

• 4 weeks later...

i believe it would take a role of interaction more than status.

For example, like the tavern in Jeuno that only allows certain people on certain days, what if certain places needs certain believers to be able to gain access. That will make you find someone with that affinity. Also, it could be a sidetrack like what happens in tetramaster in ffxi. You can have your fortune told and such by how you draw the cards.

I really thought it would go along the lines of having shrines around the world. If your party or yourself needs assistance (MP or HP) Depending your god you will pray for help and boom! you get restore . . . maybe :P

I would like a lot having actual zodiac signs we could relate to and put on lighters xD