Gilgamesh and Balmung are never accepting new characters

Gilgamesh tends to open really, really early in the morning for me. Like 2-3 am PST early. As for Balmung sadly it's even rarer and I had to transfer my first character over to even get in. It opens wide immediately after the scheduled maintenance times are over though, so if you can wait till the next one that might work.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know how frequently maintenance happens? I missed it on the 28th, sadly, and since then I've been staying up til 5-7 AM PST hoping to get into Balmung with no luck whatsoever. Coming from WoW, it's strange that I'm actually disappointed when maintenance isn't weekly.

You just have to check at the right times. Around 10-11am in the UK, and 4am-ish in America they tend to open, wouldn't expect to have that luck on weekends though since people stay up late and such.

I've got seven characters there now, always seem to be able to get the next whenever I need it.

I've been waiting for them to let me in for over a week now. Is there any RP on other servers or should I just trade this game in for something else?

Just out of curiosity, you would really trade the game in over that?

This is just my 2 cents, but if so, I don't think even being on Balmung will save the game for you.

Ehhh, if you bought the game specifically after hearing about it's great RP communities then I'd understand whole heartedly. For some people that does come before everything else and can be a major selling factor. That said if you don't enjoy the gameplay no amount of RP will ever be worth it, especially since the amount of purely cosmetic gear in this game is small and insanely expensive. Which means grinding for money is a must.

I've been waiting for them to let me in for over a week now. Is there any RP on other servers or should I just trade this game in for something else?

This is just my 2 cents, but if so, I don't think even being on Balmung will save the game for you.

if you don't enjoy the gameplay no amount of RP will ever be worth it, especially since the amount of purely cosmetic gear in this game is small and insanely expensive. Which means grinding for money is a must.

This here is what I was referring to:)

But anyways, back on topic: I eventually just paid for the server transfer. It's only $18.00 and so worth it in my opinion. I'm glad I went that route, if not, I'd still be waiting I'm sure.

I could say the same if my RP stopped.

Everything I do in game is for RP, doesn't mean I don't enjoy doing it. But I only level if there's gear I need, and only earn gill for buying what I need to enhance RP.

For the sake of mental health, I'd advise to do the paid transfer if at all possible and feasible. It's the best way to get into Balmung without having to suffer the archaic server design that SE have put together, which is apparently a server farm built completely out of mochi and tatami mats.

I could say the same if my RP stopped.

Everything I do in game is for RP, doesn't mean I don't enjoy doing it. But I only level if there's gear I need, and only earn gill for buying what I need to enhance RP.

Just different opinions I guess.

If the RP was the only reason a game was worth playin,  for for me personally i'd ditch the game

For the sake of mental health, I'd advise to do the paid transfer if at all possible and feasible.  It's the best way to get into Balmung without having to suffer the archaic server design that SE have put together, which is apparently a server farm built completely out of mochi and tatami mats.

I did this for Vetiver just so I wouldn't be wasting any of my free month. I don't regret it, though I don't blame anyone for feeling this is an obtuse solution to a problem Square-Enix really needs to solve on their own.

The game is great and all, to an extent. I was told by a friend that the RP community is amazing, but so far in my experience in the worlds I've played in, I find a very isolated experience. On my main in Famfrit I've started playing in to the Grand Company quests on level 21 and the game has still been a very single player experience. Much of the game is typical fetch quest that you'd get from any MMO. The game looks beautiful, the fighting is decent. It's not PSO2 but it's decent. I still feel like I'm missing the main experience I bought the game to receive, a great RP community, and people I can make memories with, friends, but I'm also at the point where I don't want to start over with a brand new character and do everything all over again, and I don't know if I can fork over another 18 bucks just to try to do it. What if it fails? Does it still charge me every time?

My other option I'm considering is waiting until the next update and starting out as the new race in Gilgamesh or Balmug. 

I haven't decided yet. I have 2 more weeks I think to figure out what I should do. This system is very strange. I figured they would have powerful enough servers to handle everyone on one, or at least one for each country or something. This whole split thing and limiting people is weird since everyone is spending a lot of money a month on the game.

I feel your pain on trying to get a character on this realm. It took some patience and timing to sneak in, I'm really grateful for it.

So far, I've liked the community here. For the most part people are open to discuss things and listen. I got into a few linkshells and have been slowly networking my way around. It's very different from what I'm used to. The ecosystem here isn't so fragile and sensitive, just has way more cats than usual.

As for the game, I don't think it's fair to compare it to PSO2. The combat here is very deliberate and in raid environments it's quite pleasant compared to 'I hope to gott my latency let's me get out these keybinds and doesn't skullfuck me for it'. You have to be precise and plan ahead more than react on the fly. It's very good MMO combat. PSO2 is more of a nod to action games and having the perfect PA set up to apply the most damage at once without getting killed in the process.

As for moving a character and then hoping for the best? Well that's really the risk in a lot of things, isn't it? It largely what you make of it, in every trash heap of a community there's hopefully some gems right? Having moved around a lot myself, I learned you can't force a community to work for you, you'll have to adjust to it accordingly.

I wish you the best of luck! There's a lot of people on here, ask around and don't be afraid to change your mind a little if the need comes up. The first people you meet might not be perfect for you, but if you look around you may be quite surprised.

I have nothing new to add but was able to slip in on my main AND make potential alts during the last two maintenances. I personally don't want to spend additional money to server swap but I can see how it is the less hassle option. Gilgamesh opens up more frequently (I use the term loosely). Good luck!

To get on Balmung you have to wait for maintenance. Once it's back up you have about an hour to do your thing.

Sadly, this is pretty true. Not sure when the next maintenance is, but if you're really desperate, you can try waiting up to see if it opens. Every so often it does open up at about 5am PST, but I can't say I'd recommend staying up that late to try it, because it happens very rarely.

To get on Balmung you have to wait for maintenance. Once it's back up you have about an hour to do your thing.

Sadly, this is pretty true. Not sure when the next maintenance is, but if you're really desperate, you can try waiting up to see if it opens. Every so often it does open up at about 5am PST, but I can't say I'd recommend staying up that late to try it, because it happens very rarely.

Mhm... And if it doesn't happen I can guarantee you'll be rather put out. I tried it for two days before I finally just dropped the money on the transfer because I couldn't keep on being disappointed like that.